#144767  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Yeah, a little server space for users over say 100 posts would be nice given how cheap storage has become but the admins here do so much for us it's hard to gripe about a little thing like that!

http://www.imgur.com is a fantastic image host, real easy to use, no popups or ads or other BS. I have no idea if or how they make money but they provide a great service without even asking for login info.
I'll check it out. Does it keep images hidden except for the linked sites?
 #144780  by GuildBass

zambiland wrote:Like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mh4zrbj2c37gw ... 1.mp3?dl=0

From the Fox Theatre last August.

Signal chain:

Series II stereo output-> F2-B, one channel per pickup-> Radial stereo DI-> Metric Halo ULN-8.

Spot on tone Edwin. Sounds incredible.
Hope my next build comes close.
 #145436  by Bassman

Sounds amazing Edwin. Great use of Phil's language. Band is great too, nice listening, the lead player really plays sweet, thoughtful solo's.
I just purchased a DeArmond with DarkStars, Alembic tailpiece and custom made bridge made and installed by Michael Dolan. I should have it in a week. I have a Sf-2 and have gone back to an Eden WT800C head...so this along with my Modulus Q5 I will be able to cover the era's. Alembic Series I or II is on the wish list. You are a fine musician brother, love your playing...it matches your vast knowledge of gear.
thank you for sharing,
Craig
 #145590  by Brandon Bowlds

Sounds great, that is the early 70s sound I covet. I have a good modern sound but have been jonesing for that tone. Gonna have to seek out a Starfire. Where did you find the electronics and what kind of small fortune did it set you back?

Btw, has anybody tried the Mesa Boogie Prodigy bass amp? 4 KT-88s. I borrowed one from a friend recently, holy crap, it sounds good! It obviously didn't nail any certain specific Phil tone in the short time I had to mess with it but as far as inspiring rigs go--it is one! Beats the crap out of my class D swr.
 #145596  by zambiland

Brandon Bowlds wrote:Sounds great, that is the early 70s sound I covet. I have a good modern sound but have been jonesing for that tone. Gonna have to seek out a Starfire. Where did you find the electronics and what kind of small fortune did it set you back?
It's been an evolving project. I bought the bass when Starfires where regarded with scorn, so it was $275 (1993, I asked a well known repair guy in Boston if he'd ever seen one and he said a friend in NJ had one for sale but "I don't know why on earth you want that thing." I called his friend who threw it in a box stuffed with newspaper and no case and put it on a UPS truck shipped collect.). The pickups and electronics I got separately at the Alembic forum, with the electronics being somewhat newer than the pickups. I think between the two of them, it was about $500. The pickup rings and installation were slightly more than that (it's a long story). I went through a number of bridges, but the bridge, tailpiece, etc., including installation were a total of about $350.

The Calton case I have was about $600 and the Cronkhite gig bag was only slightly less.

These days, it probably would be a small fortune.