#141952  by BigBoyPete

I was wondering if anyone here knew,FOR SURE, what the scale length of his last "go-to"modulus was. I would really like to know if it was a 34' or 32'. I know his new Alembic is a 32' inch scale ,and it sounds absolutely amazing. I would like to know a little bit more about 32' inch scale basses with an extended range (5 and 6's). Thanks to any and all, as I am about to dive in, Phil Style, so expect some more questionary posts by me.
 #141961  by Rusty the Scoob

I doubt they were 32". Modulus tends to prefer 35", although I believe he and Mike Gordon got some custom 34" basses made in the 90's. Edwin will probably know more.

They seems like a pretty cool company... maybe send an email and ask them?
 #141963  by TI4-1009

Modulus? I think they went out of business recently.

Alembic? They have a pretty active and knowledgeable discussion board on their site.
 #141969  by Bassman

Phil's last Modulus he used was a 34" scale TBX6 with 26 frets.
 #141971  by BigBoyPete

Thank You Bassman, this is what i figured. I am very intrigued with the option of a"medium scale" bass with a Low B and possibly High C. I also am interested in narrow string spacings. If there is any sort of company out there that could do this for me for a price that is in the Alembic category, I would love to know. Thanks so much to anyone who cares to contribute. This place is a Great resource!
 #141972  by Bassman

If you can afford the Alembic price category, why not just go with Alembic. Looks like Phil's new bass is narrow spacing. Modulus is out of business and like Rusty said the smallest scale was 34"(to my knowledge at least). If you check out some pics of Jimmy Johnson's Alembic Series II 5string...the spacing also appears to be narrow, even narrower than Phils's new bass. As was mentioned go over to the Alembic Club board and ask around, they are very helpful there and you can also get the number of Mica, she is the General Manager, and can guide you, after all she is the daughter of the company's founders Ron and Susan Wickersham.

http://alembic.com/cgi-bin/alembic-club/discus.cgi

#141974  by Bassman

If I misunderstood your price range there is check out Drake Basses, he is a really talented luthier that builds 5 and 6 string basses(maybe just fives, you will have to contact him and ask) with short scales:
http://www.drakecustombass.com/