#138492  by Winterland

I was asked to play bass but only have my jerry cabinet/rig. SMS>Rocktron 300>2JBL's E120..Can I use this to play bass through?
I appreciate any input.
 #138496  by hippieguy1954

Yes, you can. It might not be the exact Phil tone you are after, but it sure will work just fine.
 #138511  by zambiland

Winterland wrote:I was asked to play bass but only have my jerry cabinet/rig. SMS>Rocktron 300>2JBL's E120..Can I use this to play bass through?
I appreciate any input.
You can try, but if it's an open back cabinet and you play beyond quiet practice level, you'll probably blow the speakers. Bass creates a pretty long excursion, especially for the low notes. So, the speakers rely on some sort of resistance from the air within the cabinet, whether it's sealed and creates a lot of resistance, or ported and creates resistance at certain frequencies. An open back cabinet provides no resistance and it will be very easy to go into over-excursion, resulting in dead speakers.

If the cabinet is sealed, go for it. Just don't expect a thundering low end. I've got K and E 120s in some small Thiele cabs and play bass through them, but the low end is nothing like a "real" bass cabinet.
 #138515  by Searing75

I would not do it. My JBL's are way too precious to me!