#106873  by Bassman

hey guys,
I have been using the slicks for the past few months on my Modulus Quantum basses.
For my ears there seems to be a noticeable difference in timbre between the low B-E and the rest of the strings A-D-G-C(if I use a 6-string). Particularly on the low B...its like more of a thud then a clear ringing piano string. The attack I use with a pick seems to even things out...I use a little more of an attack in the lower register. I would like to try something different...any suggestions?
I tried D'Addario Half's a long time ago and didn't like them. Maybe a revisit. We all know that Mike Gordon uses the slicks on his Modulus basses, but are we certain this what Phil actually uses, I never seem to be able to find a picture with the purple silk wrappings on his strings.
 #106874  by Rusty the Scoob

I have the same thing with my Slick Rounds and it's really annoying. People have reported getting good B and E strings directly from Smith, which I'll probably try to do soon.

Reports are that Phil is currently using Ritter flatwounds, which makes sense to me. His Furthur tone doesn't sound like Slick Rounds to me. No idea where to get the Ritters though.
 #106877  by Bassman

yeah Rusty,
the B is annoying me, and the drag of it is, it is a consistent problem. Every set I have purchased in the past year had a dead B. I just don't have the time and patience for that. I was just looking at the post about Phil's pups/amp and Zambiland was suggesting DR Sunbeams. I might give those a try. the Ritter's are looking like next to impossible to get, let alone try out.
 #106879  by Rusty the Scoob

I don't hear anything distinctive about his Ritter-stringed tone in Furthur so maybe any bright-ish flats will do.

That dead B string really is annoying. It turns me into a 4+1 string player instead of a true 5 string player.... which is ok since I play mostly 4 string lately anyway.

Let us know how you like the Sunbeams if you try them, please! I use a lot of basses and therefore don't change strings often enough to get to try a lot of things out quickly.
 #106880  by Bassman

I just ordered the Sunbeams, I will be putting them on the Modulus Q5...I ended up selling the Q6. The five is much more comfortable for me. Keep you posted man.
 #106885  by Todd GT5

I had a strange experience with the Slick Rounds. My first set I put on my cheap $120 SX 5 string bass and they were great! The B was perfect! I then decided to put them on my graphite necked GGS. The B string was horrible! I had bought two more sets so I pulled the extra out and it's pretty good. I (as I mentioned in another threat), contacted Ken Smith directly and they sent me another b string. I have since switched both basses to D'Addario flat wound Chromes and love them after they break in. I'm keeping my Ken Smith Slick Rounds around and maybe when I get my next GGS, I have ordered, I'll use the Slick Rounds in one bass again.

-Todd
 #106886  by Todd GT5

The Ritter Strings?

On the Ritter website these are the only strings they mention, and I think they are the ones mentioned that Phil used on his according to the Bass Player magazine article.

http://www.ritter-instruments.com/swordsteelstrings.php

I think to my ears the strings Phil is using now are the Slick Rounds or D'Addario Half Rounds. I am curious about the Ken Smith Compressors.

-Todd
 #107739  by Bassman

hey folks,
I have the Sunbeams on my Modulus Q5 and they are a nice string, but a little too bright, round woundish for my tastes, i kept a set on my 4 string bass for the jazz, funk and R&B stuff, but I am going to give the D'Addario Half Rounds a whirl for a shot at getting the Phil thing going. I was considering just using a Half Round low B and the rest Slicks.
 #148403  by zambiland

Bassman wrote:hey folks,
I have the Sunbeams on my Modulus Q5 and they are a nice string, but a little too bright, round woundish for my tastes, i kept a set on my 4 string bass for the jazz, funk and R&B stuff, but I am going to give the D'Addario Half Rounds a whirl for a shot at getting the Phil thing going. I was considering just using a Half Round low B and the rest Slicks.
Phil's using DR Sunbeams on his new Alembics.