#89308  by mkaufman

The middle single coil was wired backwards (ground is hot, hot is ground) because if you wired it the normal way, it was out of phase and you got a nasally thin phase reversal tone. Keep in mind that the Cowboy was wired this way using particular Dimarzio pickups in an H-S-H arrangement. Since you're looking to go S-S-S and using different pickups, all bets are off.

mk
 #89314  by Dozin

What Michael said.

Cowboy's pickups are
- Dimarzio Virtual PAF DP196 (neck)
- Dimarzio Virtual Vintage DP410 2.2 (middle)
- Dimarzio Virtual PAF DP197 (bridge)

I can't see how this can be achieve with single coil pickups. I could be wrong but even the DP410 is a pretty essential piece of getting that "Bell" like sound.

The Blue lightning bolt guitar
has 2 Gibson mini hums and a Tele Broadcaster pickup
 #89316  by mkaufman

I think it can be done. The trick is finding the right set of pickups. I would first contact Dimarzio and ask them which single coil would sound most like the DP196/DP197 run in single coil. There is another potential issue: positioning of pickups. A standard S-S-S Strat config won't exactly match the H-S-H positioning. I'm not sure it will make enough of a difference to matter. I actually have an S-S-S pickguard routed for my prototyping guitar and I've wanted to try an S-S-S setup. I just haven't gotten around to doing it. Someone please try!

mk