#89155  by Dozin

Thanks Strum. i should add that this is the first tune of the night, out of the box "if you will" with the Cowboy converted Strat. Recordings never capture the real sounds but man it rings like a bell.
 #89157  by strumminsix

Dozin wrote:Thanks Strum. i should add that this is the first tune of the night, out of the box "if you will" with the Cowboy converted Strat. Recordings never capture the real sounds but man it rings like a bell.
Hey man, you are welcome! You captured that bit of Bobby that I really love very naturally!

I'd love to see some pics and more of your specs, please! I have a Strat that can go under the knife!
 #89207  by Dozin

So there's not much to her. This was more of an experimental / trial thang. Again, I wired the humbuckers for single coil. The middle single coil is flipped upside down and wired black is hot and red is ground. I soldiered the cap from the center post of the tone pot to the center post of the volume pot. I got the concept from the way the blackknifes are wired. I noticed that when I do this I get some brighter highs. The pickups really sound the best when the volume and tone are cranked all the way up.

#89237  by strumminsix

Dozin wrote:So there's not much to her. This was more of an experimental / trial thang. Again, I wired the humbuckers for single coil. The middle single coil is flipped upside down and wired black is hot and red is ground. I soldiered the cap from the center post of the tone pot to the center post of the volume pot. I got the concept from the way the blackknifes are wired. I noticed that when I do this I get some brighter highs. The pickups really sound the best when the volume and tone are cranked all the way up.
Is that middle single coil RW? So all pickups on at the same time?
 #89240  by Dozin

That's correct
 #89360  by ampegbassplayer1969

Wow man, the Bobby tone forum is bumpin again -awesome.

And thanks Dozin for the information and inspiration, I'm looking up other guitars to use for a cowboy. I found an Ibanez 170dx for about $120 here, it's already HSH - and I'm a fan of Ibanez also

http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/2053272058.html

Anyway, it's Basswood, do you guys know if it would be worth it to get this and dump some cash into it to recreate Cowboy?
 #89832  by MeAndMyUncle

Wow, absoultely great tone. If I wouldn't know better, I'd think its the real Bobby :hail:
And thank you also for the wiring info.

So I found out, that my good old 1981 Oakland ZX1200 (more ore less kinda a copy of a Musician or an Ibanez Custom Artist 2700 with an active booster but w/o an EQ) is already close to what I need.
Originally it was built with two DiMarzio Super Distortion PUs.

More than 10 yrs ago I replaced the Bridge PU with a splitable Seymour Duncan and some years ago I added a Fender Single Coil Vintage in the middle pos.
But in my current wiring, the SC can only be combind with the Bridge PU, to get somewhat Knopfler-like sound (what really works great).
Now I will think about extending the wiring to get this Bobby sound without adding more switches and drill holes (all that can be seen, are out of the box).
Up to now the three lower switches are two only 2-way, the upper just adds the booster. Replacing them with Tri-Sounds might bring me closer.

Hope I'll have some spare time the next weeks. If there is any success, I'll keep you informed.
Klaus
 #90617  by ampegbassplayer1969

So how crucial is the wood for the bobby tone? I found some nice strat bodies for a good price, but they're not ash. Would you highly recommend using Ash for the right tone or doesn't it really matter? I'm really aiming for the 77 sound.
 #90633  by strumminsix

ampegbassplayer1969 wrote:So how crucial is the wood for the bobby tone? I found some nice strat bodies for a good price, but they're not ash. Would you highly recommend using Ash for the right tone or doesn't it really matter? I'm really aiming for the 77 sound.
When thinking guitar woods you need to think of the tonality. I'd say brighter tonality is key. In that camp are: ash, maple, and ebony.
But a guitar gets alot of tone from complimenting woods. I find mahogany to be a great compliment. YMMV
 #90638  by Grateful Dad

strumminsix wrote:
ampegbassplayer1969 wrote:So how crucial is the wood for the bobby tone? I found some nice strat bodies for a good price, but they're not ash. Would you highly recommend using Ash for the right tone or doesn't it really matter? I'm really aiming for the 77 sound.
When thinking guitar woods you need to think of the tonality. I'd say brighter tonality is key. In that camp are: ash, maple, and ebony.
But a guitar gets alot of tone from complimenting woods. I find mahogany to be a great compliment. YMMV
When it comes to bringing out the tonality of the wood does finishing the wood in lacquer vs. poly make a big difference?
:?:
 #90639  by Tennessee Jedi

Never heard of " Oakland " guitars before. Another one of them Co. that use Ibanez/Japanese Factories ?
Thanks for the heads up.
Hey Klaus - Do you play Dead over there ? Is it hard to find players ?
Happy Holi-daze Bro
:D
 #90654  by strumminsix

Grateful Dad wrote:When it comes to bringing out the tonality of the wood does finishing the wood in lacquer vs. poly make a big difference?
From what my ears hear, a light lacuier, nitro or light poly don't make a huge difference in tonality. But heavy poly does cover up some of the wood you hear.