#34058  by bucketorain

Dozin wrote:Fender Acoustasonic for acoustic. Love that amp too :lol:
is your Acoustasonic the Jr?

#34064  by Dozin

mk, they have to be on a server on the web. Wont work from a file.

In 1976 the SDS1 was white too

#34065  by Dozin

bucketorain wrote:
Dozin wrote:Fender Acoustasonic for acoustic. Love that amp too :lol:
is your Acoustasonic the Jr?
It is the Jr.

#34068  by mkaufman

Dozin:

Thanks for posting!!

So...Weir used that very fancy darker Cowboy above with Ibanez Super 80 pickups at least through the Spring '78 tour - check out the Duke U video. I'll check out the 11/24/78 Capitol Theater and 12/13/78 Winterland videos to see if he had moved to the Gen 2 Cowboy with Dimarzio's in 1978. That may not have been until 1979.

Anyway, back to the point: yes, the single coil may have been an SDS-1, however, it may have been a custom job to make it RWRP. Based on my research, the SDS-1 is not currently available as stock with the RWRP option and I definitely need that to cancel hum. I'll contact Dimarzio and let you know.

mk

#34080  by shakedown_04092

Create an account at http://www.photobucket.com and upload the pics there. Once uploaded, there are 4 options to choose from. To post here, click on the "IMG" option and just copy and paste that link.

#34087  by alcorelectric

MK,
You might be able to achieve the noise cancelling
by changing the relationship of HBs to the center single coil.
For instance, if the pole pieces on the HBs closest to the center pickup are change from positve to negative (simply by flip flopping the HB) This should give hum cancelling.
Ive not tried it put I would think it should work.
T

#34094  by mkaufman

I don't think it will work. The hum is picked up in the coil windings. Rotating the HB 180 degrees will not change the windings. Thats why the middle pickup needs to be RW (reverse winding) so the hum it picks up is out of phase to the bridge pickup hum. Together, they cancel out.

mk

#34101  by alcorelectric

MK
This might be a question for a pu manufacturer,
Try this guy out his prices seam reasonable and he is a small shop so he may have the time to help you out.
http://www.highorderpickups.com/

#34123  by mkaufman

OK - I checked and on 11/24/78 and 12/31/78, Weir is playing the Cowboy Generation 2 guitar. Therefore, the switch to Dimarzio pickups happened mid '78.

btw...on the 12/31/78 video, check out Me & My Uncle. There are great shots of:

- Mesa Boogie head
- Ibanez UE700
- Ibanez AD230

I suspect he was using a Mac 2300 power amp.

I still think there's something we don't know about...

mk

#34133  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote: - Ibanez UE700
Mike - do you have any pics of your old UE700???

Rumor has it you had 2 and sold 1 back to Ibanez.

Any truth to that?

#34144  by mkaufman

That is absolutely true, along with an AD230. I had 3 of each at one time.

I have a 2-page catalog shot of the UE700. I'll send it to Dozin since he did an awesome job posting my other pics...

I cannot remember what they are, however, I posted some good Weir-related pics Yahoo GEARHEADS group.

btw...I'm always looking for pics from Weir's Ibanez period, especially from the 70's. If you have any, please forward them to me at.

mkaufman at cloud9 dot net.

tnx,
mk

#34145  by mkaufman

Also - for anyone who's interested, I'm a BIG vintage Ibanez fan (thanks to Weir).

mk

#34209  by mkaufman

Chris:

I spoke w/ Dimarzio.

- during the 70's, Dimarzio had both the SDS-1 and FS-1 single coil pickup. Both had visible poles, however, the SDS-1 poles were slotted so they could be adusted with a screwdriver. The FS-1 poles were not slotted. I wish I had a better picture of the single coil...

- the SDS-1 has much more low-end and the FS-1 is brighter.

- you can get any of their (non-humcanceling) single coil pickups in reverse wound reverse polarity (RWRP). The RWRP versions have an 's' added to the part number. Therefore, the parts are:

FS-1: DP110s
SDS-1: DP111s

I think I'm going to try the FS-1 because it's brighter and has less low-end. However, since I eq out the lows, I'm not sure that's the right choice, so who knows...in the end, maybe I'll try both.

I'll let you know.

mk