#164272  by Ace7277
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:57 am
For all Bobby player here is my new youtube channel: Lots of good stuff.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMofVNuf6k
Ep1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wPtVWPQV84&t=1s
Ep2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAoMkb8BjY&t=100s

If you like it please subscribe .
Thanks
Brendan Connolly
handyandy, Jblue76, ac4468 and 4 others liked this
 #164275  by old man down
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:36 pm
Looking good, there, Brendan.

Nice to click on a YouTube link, and the first thing I recognize is a Montclair State sweatshirt.

(my hometown, and a place I pass through several times a week, still to this day)

After I checked out your Trailer, YouTube automatically loaded with a Weir show from 2016, and I had forgotten the tug that the opening notes to Morning Dew can have, which his band played in blue darkness.

I grabbed my 00-17 and stumbled around with his riffs a little, telling myself I'd have to come back to that song someday.

What a pleasure to then click on your Episode 1, and have you, unexpectedly, lay it out all so clearly, with so many cool accents, too.

I'll definitely be retuning to your channel.

Keep up the good work! 8)
handyandy liked this
 #164278  by Ace7277
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 am
Thank you for the kind words!!! My son is a freshman at Montclair and loves it. Glad you enjoy the channel lot more good Weir stuff on the way!!!!
Brendan
handyandy liked this
 #164288  by Jblue76
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:49 am
I’m having a hard time working from the morning dew video nailing some of the voicings that just make this Bobby part so incredible. I know in the intro video you say you’re not doing tabs for this, but someone’s got to have to be able to tab out this part. I’ve got to nail that sound! This was THE song that got me hooked on the Dead when I was 13 years old (To Ley Me Down on Reckoning had somethin to do with it too). And it’s THIS Bobby part that gives that certain flavour that just tugs on your intestines in the most beautifully painful way. Tabs anyone?
Ace7277 liked this
 #164289  by handyandy
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am
Jblue76 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:49 am
I’m having a hard time working from the morning dew video nailing some of the voicings that just make this Bobby part so incredible. I know in the intro video you say you’re not doing tabs for this, but someone’s got to have to be able to tab out this part. I’ve got to nail that sound! This was THE song that got me hooked on the Dead when I was 13 years old (To Ley Me Down on Reckoning had somethin to do with it too). And it’s THIS Bobby part that gives that certain flavour that just tugs on your intestines in the most beautifully painful way. Tabs anyone?
Have you tried slowing down the video to 50%. That's usually slow enough to hear each note and with the visual of the video I can usually figure out what's being played. Just go piece by piece and don't continue on till you got that piece down. It's really the right hand that gives it that Weir sound and that's the part I'm having trouble getting right.
tntawney liked this
 #164290  by Jblue76
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:06 pm
Thanks, ya, I’ve got it on 50% right now. But I just can’t see which two fingers are actually pressing down on which two strings for some of them, (and which strings are ringing open), and when I involve my ear to figure it out, I keep going to a more usual voicing that’s totally not the special Bobby voicings that make all the difference. I probably am being too impatient though... just so little time with the little kiddies at home.. I need the visual of the tab AND the video to work quickly enough.
 #164291  by old man down
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:23 pm
Ha! Ha!

You guys, welcome to the "club of difficulty" in trying to figure out Weir's technique. As Brendan attested, he's been at it over 40 years, and it is a lot of hard work. At least you guys get to see it done, as well as hear it done. Back in the days of Europe '72, we had to ruin records by lifting and placing down the stylus-needle over and over, and literally suffer through trial and error beyond the pale.

Morning Dew is especially difficult because it is right down there at the nut, making it a particularly difficult "nut" to crack. Songs that are well up on the neck are difficult enough, but in and out on the nut is just another layer of misery until it starts to flow effortlessly.

Take it slow, and come back to it often. I'd tab it, but I've got my hands full already with the WGSJ iPhone version.

Learn to TAB for yourselves. There are cornerstone levels of accomplishment that come with doing it.

Btw, I'm convinced TABs will breakthrough to a new level in the next few years. My efforts have shown me that there is an elegance to tabbing that comes with note-number spacings-apart, BOLD notes, even colorizing notes… all to try to capture subtlety and emphasis. It's a new frontier.

How do I know?

Last summer when I started doing the iPhone version of the WGSJ, and views ticked up to 40 a day, there were two days in a row where the views ticked up to 1000 views per day. That's right… 1000, not 100! I couldn't believe it. I'd refresh the page a few seconds apart, and each time 4 more views would occur.

Someone was really interested. More than likely many people were really interested. Maybe tabbers, or Apple software engineers, future music software starter-uppers… who knows. But in two days, the views went up 2000 views, and then returned to, maybe, 40 per day, and have fallen since.

No way was someone trying to figure out the WGSJ. There was interest in what the future held with regard to TABs that would look much different than what jdarks had been putting out, and it will revolutionize the way music will be displayed and learned.

Cell phones and YouTube, slowing down capabilities, and stuff like Brendan is doing… but all brought together as seamless as possible… will be the future.

Just look at some of the Weir audience cell phone recordings up on YouTube, showing other members of the audience in foreground seats... everyone is recording his concerts… you can see their cellphones held up in front of them… 20… 30 people doing it, and that's just one concert. Business executives see dollar sign potential when they see this sort of stuff… and that's a fact!

Part and parcel of all this will be a Golden Age of learning music from all sorts of input streams. It's coming and… It will be amazing!
Ace7277 liked this
 #164295  by Ace7277
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:14 pm
Love the discussion guys!! I have to apologize for the angle of the camera on the Morning Dew vid...also my lead guitar player mentioned to me that you guys need to see my right hand, yes lots gong on with the right hand also. For any family members on rukind I would be happy to shoot some new clips with a better angle of my hands . The the Bobby part that I am doing is in cycles, and all the voicing and licks are all standard stuff from this era. He will use them over and over in other tunes also. I am sorry that I can not TAB this stuff. Thanks for watching and thank you for all that subscribed !!!!!
 #164297  by Jblue76
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:21 pm
Demystify the tab! It’s easy to write; you can do it!

I’ve always learned by ear. As a teenager I spent hours upon hours sitting on the floor pressing play and rewind and play and rewind on a cassette player until I could nail a phrase. I only recently started taking to YouTube. The lessons I find most useful are the ones where I see the dude playing and the tab is there along the bottom at the same time. A good example are The Weeping Willow dude’s lessons. Ive always been more of a jerry picker, but it’s awesome to watch bobby’s parts isolated so thanks man!
Ace7277 liked this
 #164298  by handyandy
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:36 pm
Brendan I've been refreshing your youtube channel multiple times everyday! I'm waiting for the next one. Can't tell you how many times I've watched the He's gone, Terrapin, and Half Step video. It's awesome! I am so thankful you're doing this. As a younger Weir player this couldn't have come at a better time.

You should just record yourself playing through a bunch of songs. I find it absolutely fascinating to watch and listen.
 #164299  by Ace7277
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 pm
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I am working on a new one...had some requests for the next vid to be my rig rundown. I would make a video every week if I could. They are so hard to make and I tip my hat to all the other guys that do youtube stuff. It is nice to know that all the bobs out in youtube land are enjoying my stuff. I am happy to pass along my tips and trick to the younger generation of players. PM if you have any questions of need help with anything Weir related.
Jblue76, handyandy liked this