#126483  by racecar

After reading all the past posts on the Roland JC-77 and the rave reviews about it for that "Bobby" tone. I went out a week ago and found one in great shape in Arizona, bought it and had it shipped to me. I figured for a $300 amp, the cost of a hot, boutique pedal of the day, why not give it a shot.

Showed up Thurs. I just got to try it out for the last hour. I have to say, you guys are right, lol. This is like a Bobby in a Box if I ever saw/heard one. I plugged straight in, no other effects, buffers or anything. I was a little skeptical when reading your posts on it, as I am typically not a fan of S.S. amps. I am a tube guy all the way.

But this little amp puts out a clean tone that reminds me of the old fender clean amps that dont have a master volume.

The chorus is a star. the way it modulates between the two 10 in speakers (my first time with a 10 in speaker , always used 12's). Very lush . Distortion is useless and will never get turned on.

I am very much looking forward to trying this out at our next couple gigs later this month. I will be interested to see how well it takes pedals, I can see a nice overdrive used for a more vox styled tone on the edge of breakup. But for cleans, this amp sings BOB WEIR from 1977 to my ears. You guys were right . Glad I took a chance on it, now let see how it does in a band situation. I migh have to sell my analogman chorus if I use this as my #1 amp.

I do have some questions on settings and I just wanted to ask you guys if you have fine tuned those settings since you posted on it. Curious to see how you set the two "highs" and midrange. Bass is best left on one or zero it appears.

I would never have thought.............a little solid state amp would deliver that kind of tone. Very impressed.

this forum is such a great wealth of info . really. Thanks.
 #126502  by PaulJay

I love mine. i got rid of my deluxe reverb RI and my jc-120. This amp is great for the money, built like a tank, and super clean. sounds as good as a DRRI. I set my treble on full, hi treble on halfway, mid on halfway, and bass on 2. Good luck with yours you will probably keep it for ever. ,Paul
 #126503  by tcsned

I gigged with one for a while when my Boogie was down and it's got a great clean tone. It wasn't mine so I had to give it back. Makes a pretty good acoustic guitar amp too,
 #126506  by NWPines

I also just got a JC-77, but it's in pretty rough shape. It popped up on my local craigslist last week so I went to check it out. It's fairly beat up cosmetically, a few of the pots are really scratchy, the reverb doesn't work, and it sounds a little sick when turned up. But for $50 it seemed worth the gamble given what others have said about it. Glad to hear you're digging yours. If I can find someone to bring it back to health reasonably cheap, it should be a fun little amp to have around.
 #126792  by racecar

Well last night I took the JC77 to band rehearsal and I was really impressed (as were the other band members). I found myself using the Chorus more often and I enjoyed the sound. I have an Analogman chorus pedal and it really is a good pedal. But I have to say the JC77 chorus was head and shoulders a better tone. More articulate, more spacious. Felt bigger too.

The amp took pedals well , and it didn't take me long to dial it in. I am sure I have some fine tuning to do, but it did deliver in spades. I do still prefer having a compressor front ending it. For me, it smoothed things out a bit more and gave me more sustain which I prefer. I added some delay to it and pretty much that was about it for most of the evening. Not sure if I like this better than my Mesa rig, but I do know I am liking it a lot.

Taking it to its first gig on Sat. Best $300 I spent in a long time on gear. I am a fan.