#109196  by Boston_Patriot

Hi,
Can someone recommend a good EQ pedal to help me dial in Bobby's tone?

Also, where should the placement be (pre-distortion, post, before amp, effects loop?)

Suggestions?
 #109307  by Deadhead85

I have a Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ, that works pretty well....though I don't use it all the time. As far as settings, it all depends on your rig, just experiment and have fun! I have mine on my pedalboard (before amp), almost last...however, mines before my delays, volume pedal. I think it sounds great. I'm also currently having an external parametric EQ pedal built, much like MK's (see thread). I had a reproduction EQ board made of Bobby's cowboy EQ.
 #109322  by playingdead

I'd put it either at the start of the chain or just before the amp, as you want to shape your overall sound. I'd probably avoid putting it in the amp's effects loop as they tend to be a little noisy, especially if you're boosting treble. The stompbox variety probably won't be happy with line level signals.

You're in Boston? I have a Boss GE-7 in the box that you can pick up for $70 if you like. Works fine. It's what Garcia used.

#109353  by strumminsix

Boston_Patriot wrote:Hi,
Can someone recommend a good EQ pedal to help me dial in Bobby's tone?

Also, where should the placement be (pre-distortion, post, before amp, effects loop?)

Suggestions?
Bobby's tone is more in his attack than EQ and in choices of amps. I'm sure an EQ could help. I'd go for a 10 band eq and slowly dial out the bass.