#110226  by Phil Lesh101

We discussed that he uses Oldfield for TRI Studio stuff only. Thats why it is miced.
He plays Vox live
Last edited by Phil Lesh101 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #110231  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:??

He uses amps wherever he plays. The question is: is he mic'd or does he go direct to the board. The claim was made that he went direct, so I asked if that was so, why was his amp mic'd.

mk
I don't know the answer but the more I read on live sound production the more I read about the mulitple mic'ing techniques And wonder if, just maybe, Bobby's FOH tone doens't benefit from that cabinte mic.
 #110268  by Phil Lesh101

mkaufman wrote:??

He uses amps wherever he plays. The question is: is he mic'd or does he go direct to the board. The claim was made that he went direct, so I asked if that was so, why was his amp mic'd.

mk
If you are referring to the picture From TRI Studios, It was mic'd because they were in the studio.
We are unsure if he mics his vox cabs live or if he runs it directly to the board.
 #110276  by mkaufman

FBlades95 wrote:The cabs onstage are used purely for stage sound, and are not mic'd. He is going from his Mesa rack amps BOTH direct AND to the cabs.
In the TRI streams, he definitely sounds direct, however, there are pics clearing showing his amps are mic'd. Look here:

http://www.tristudios.com/gallery/detail/id/18

I'm not trying to be difficult... I just see pictures contradicting what people are saying.

mk
 #110277  by strumminsix

FBlades95 wrote:The cabs onstage are used purely for stage sound, and are not mic'd. He is going from his Mesa rack amps BOTH direct AND to the cabs.
Are you 100% sure that he goes from the 11rack to the Mesa poweramp and takes the studio feed off the Mesa to the soundboard?
 #110296  by Phil Lesh101

mkaufman wrote:
In the TRI streams, he definitely sounds direct, however, there are pics clearing showing his amps are mic'd. Look here:

I'm not trying to be difficult... I just see pictures contradicting what people are saying.

mk
We are saying that he runs straight to the board LIVE. at shows, not studio.
 #110304  by mkaufman

Phil Lesh101 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:

mk
We are saying that he runs straight to the board LIVE. at shows, not studio.
I'm not sure this is know as fact or even correct. In listening to the TRI broadcasts, it sure sounds like he's running direct.

Once again, is anyone making statements here based on first-hand knowledge?

mk