#81564  by Jon S.

I have, at present, 2 compressors and 2 overdrives on my Line 6 M13's main scene (scene 1 of 12). Here they are. Hope they help - share yours!

1st bank includes this Vetta Juice compressor, a proprietary Line 6 model. It's very cool, my fave, when a compressor is desired, for "starting out." It's clean and articulate with just enough "squash" to make things interesting. What I especially dig about it is you can set when the compression kicks in. These settings allow the signal to just start decay before the compression kicks in (I dig how this helps preserve the overall picking dynamics).

2nd bank includes these two overdrives.

First, a Screamer model. Big surprise - the source model is the Ibanez Tube Screamer. My settings give a tad of hair and boost, not too little, not too much.

Second, a Classic Distortion model. This is basically your ProCo Rat. The tone with it set as below is wonderful, highly articulate ... Jerry-like, in a nutshell! (This model can get downright nasty with the drive setting cranked but with it low it's amazingly sweet-sounding.)

And last but not least, the 4th bank includes the following Tube Comp model. Based on the Teletronix LA-2A studio compressor, my settings with the compression almost off gives a fine end-of-chain-clean-boost-w/just-a-hint-of-compression, when desired.

Have I mentioned before that I dig the M13 a lot? :smile:
 #81573  by jackr

Jon,
I just got the pod x3 live yesterday as a gift. I have just started glancing over the manual but have not turned it on yet. I'll have to try to see if I can replicate those settings. Thanks.
 #82642  by bcresci

I actully use Screamer and Classic Dist as well (with my X3 Live).

One very interesting thing I discovered this past week. Just installed Waldo's buffer and an OBEL in my strat. I'd been struggling with taming high-end and brittleness in my setup. As I've replaced various pieces over time, everything has steadily improved. With the OBEL, I've finally been able to easily A/B the guitar going straight into my rig as opposed to through the X3 Live.

What was very surprising was how much the X3 is affecting the tone. Even with all modeling turned off, the resulting tone is quite a bit more brittle and tinny. I always figured the X3 was affecting tone some, but nevery realized how much.

With the OBEL off (X3 bypassed), I'm getting a much warmer, fatter tone. Still not 100% of the way there, but quite a bit closer.
 #82645  by JonnyBoy

bcresci wrote:I actully use Screamer and Classic Dist as well (with my X3 Live).

One very interesting thing I discovered this past week. Just installed Waldo's buffer and an OBEL in my strat. I'd been struggling with taming high-end and brittleness in my setup. As I've replaced various pieces over time, everything has steadily improved. With the OBEL, I've finally been able to easily A/B the guitar going straight into my rig as opposed to through the X3 Live.

What was very surprising was how much the X3 is affecting the tone. Even with all modeling turned off, the resulting tone is quite a bit more brittle and tinny. I always figured the X3 was affecting tone some, but nevery realized how much.

With the OBEL off (X3 bypassed), I'm getting a much warmer, fatter tone. Still not 100% of the way there, but quite a bit closer.

The OBEL really helps you see the tone loss, I remember I couldn't believe what a buffer and non buffered signal sounded like at first. night and day. That Obel will really help you tame your effects and get more use and tone out of them in the end.
 #82671  by jeffm725

JonnyBoy wrote:
bcresci wrote:I actully use Screamer and Classic Dist as well (with my X3 Live).

The OBEL really helps you see the tone loss, I remember I couldn't believe what a buffer and non buffered signal sounded like at first. night and day. That Obel will really help you tame your effects and get more use and tone out of them in the end.
You have the buffer on a separate switch as well as the OBEL? Or do you use the buffer in an off board bypass box? The reason I ask is that the Buffer in a typical Jerry wiring setup is active whether Loop is on or Loop is off, so I was wondering how you A/B'd buffer on and buffer off. Unless you just mean that the first time you installed it you noticed the difference?
 #82737  by jeffm725

bcresci wrote:I mean to say that I A/Bed the effects loop in and bypassed - the buffer is active for both.
got it, thanks! The reason I asked is that I have actually seen some people....(Scott Walker included) that not only have a switch for the OBEL, but put the buffer on a switch so that with the OBEL and Buffer off the guitar actually functions as a normal guitar! I thought maybe you had that setup by your post and was curious..