#81175  by sants

I remember reading somewhere that d and f series had something special about their cones and once reconed will never sound quite the same. I have been looking into getting another e120 to put into a HT style cab and I found some that are recones. If reconed with the JBL kit will these still be true to original form?
 #81259  by JonnyBoy

Many, many people here have claimed to say so, many of which were alive to hear and use the original cones in the first place, and being one of them yes I believe so... In the end, if you are using them to sound like Jerry, and it sounds like Jerry, then it sounds like Jerry. I am sure everything varies, even different JBL produced, Brand New JBL E-120's if they were made anymore. You are really buying the mechanism that will drive the speaker cone at a certain sensitivity and frequency response, that's what your after anyway....
 #175234  by Darkstar860

I have on reconed E120 and it sounds fantastic, its in a cab with another E120 that is original. I have my power amp setup so i can control the level of each speaker in my 2x12 cab. One that the sound guy mics and one that i can use for stage volume without messing with sound guy. I have A/B'd these quite a few times and if theres any difference, its that the recone has more snap to be honest.
 #175235  by Chocol8

The E120 comes are the ones that are most available, so a reconed E done right should be as good as new.

The original D's had an all paper surround with no doping. These sounded different but few lasted very long. Later D recone kits added the cloth surround which at some point became the K's. The newer D recones and K's are likely what Jerry was using from the late 60's through the 70's. When the K's came out, the D-120F's made for Fender kept the D name but they switched to the cloth surround and are identical to a K except for the color and label. Other than the cone, the D and K are identical, same frame and magnet etc.

The E cones are a bit heavier than the K cones and sound slightly different when mounted on an Alnico D or K frame. I think Jerry moved to E's when they became available so 80's and 90's.

I believe when the E's came out or some time after, the K style cones were dropped from production in favor of the heavier E cones. These days there are aftermarket paper D cones and cloth surround E cones available and I think some people still have JBL E kits. I am not sure how good the aftermarket kits are, and I also am not sure you can get a K cone anymore. Perhaps someone else here knows more about the current availability.
 #175237  by lbpesq

I have two K120s mounted in a pair of 1x12 cabs. One is stock and the other was reconed with hemp by John Harrison at A Broun Sound, the originators of Tone Tubby Hemp Speakers. The hemp JBL is just a bit darker than the stock one. They sound great together.

Bill, tgo