#46872  by jeffm725

Thought I'd post an interesting thing I had to do recently. As some know I play Bobby parts in one band and Jerry parts in another. I have 2 separate rigs obviously (Although I share a 2x12 Hard trucker stlyle front loading cab and I swap tone tubbies for JBL E-120's).

Anyway, I have 2 options for my Jerry Rig:
1) a 1971 Plush p1000s which is really just a dead on point to point hand wired clone of the AB763 (Twin Reverb/Showman) circuit.To take it a step further, I had an amp tech rebuild it from the ground up to exact Blackface Twin specs (the only original item is the Iron, which is great.The thing really is a monster.
2) I have a 78 Vibro Champ that joe martin did a pre-amp/tweak job for me on. It is pretty sick. Used into a QSC poweramp

Well anyway, I had a gig with the band that I play the "jerry" in (band is named "Legion of Jerry") and Both my options were in the shop. (the Plush needed a new reverb tank and I wanted it biased a little colder.
The Vibro Champ is still with Joe Martin.) So I was left with an interesting dilemma.

What did I do? I went to the Solid state Weir Rig and kind of went Hybrid.
I used my Jerry Axe (78 Ibanez MC500 hacked up with all the jerry stuff) and I used my Jerry stomps (the normal array of junk: ....OC,AF, OD, Dist+, P100,Delay), but I used an old Solid State 1984 Yamaha PG-1 Preamp and a QSC Power Amp.
Since I was using this rig, I left the Hemp speakers in because my Ibanez is BRIGHT, the solid state rig is BRIGHT and with the JBL’s in I needed a blindfold to listen to that configuration because it was so bright! ;-) No Tube warmth. The Hemp speakers toned it down a bit.
Anyway, the results were interesting and different. Definitely not the Jerry tone I am used to though. The one thing that I noticed is that my TS808 clone sounded very different in this config. I kind of dug it. The only effect on the track below was the Tube screamer, when clean I just bypassed the loop.

Not something I would want to do again, but if you want to know how your jerry rig would sound solid state, check it out, not for the faint of heart :D :

The song is Expressway:http://tinyurl.com/5tz6dj
Last edited by jeffm725 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

#46873  by Tennessee Jedi

So I guess you could say you go both ways huh ?
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
That must be a nice guitar - MC500.
Do you have an opinion on the 350 ?
What do you use for a git on the Bob gig ?
:smile:

#46875  by jeffm725

I would kill for a 350, they are as rare as Hen's teeth.
I love the 500! I have a couple other ones that are minty and I left them stock.The one I modded for the Jerry stuff had some issues to begin with so no "vintage" harm there. You want to see someone have a heart attack? Go to the Ibanez collectors board and show them a 70's musician hacked up with the jerry Dimarzio's and effects loop deal. They will run you our of town ! :x

With the Weir rig I play a Casio PG-380 with a Warmoth neck

#46882  by Tennessee Jedi

Dont know much about the Ibanez guitars -
I thought the 500 was rare and the 350 the common model
I like the neck thru thing.
And they are good looking guitars ...
Any more pics ?

#46883  by jeffm725

that is because people many times will confuse the 200 and 300 models with the 350

Bottom line is that if it is a 350 it was only made in 1981 or 1982. If you ever see a 350 advertised from any other year, it is not a 350. It is a 200 or 300. 200's and 300's are much more common.

Easy way to remember Musicians were made from 77-82

77-80 their models used ONLY even 100 number level designations:

eg: 100,200,300,400,500

81-82 their models used ONLY even 50 number level designations:

eg: 150, 350, 550

The 77-80 and 81-82 runs are a bit different in body style and especially pickup choices

#46884  by Tennessee Jedi

Thanks man

#46888  by jeffm725

you asked for pics:

Modded Musician:

Wide Shot:

Image[/img]

#46891  by jeffm725

proabably best angle to see guitar:

DOING The Bobby thang below

MY Ibanez 2681 Weir professional. I love it, but it snaps strings easily, so I use the casio live now.Plus the casio gives better "80's" sound.

#46892  by jeffm725

Casio pics:

These are the only 3 I could find of me playing the casio right now. You can see the fake hard trucker cab behind me, looks just like one, no? :-) ..It cost me 1/3 of the real ones (unloaded, obviously), so i can live with it :-)

As you can also see, the band I play the Bobby stuff in draws a bit better than the band I do the Jer stuff in

lets see how long it takes :D

#46904  by willmusic

Nice!!

#47757  by playingdead

Link expired, Jeff ...

The new teeny power amp I just got has a two-channel preamp on it, all solid state, but with (digital) reverb. I got a passable Jerry tone out of that in case of emergencies with the real preamp in my rack. You can never tell ...

#47758  by Tennessee Jedi

Yo !
Anyone ever mention your Jerry guy looks like Jerry ?????
Dude !
Yo Jeff
I just got a "77" Musician ...
I like it alot ;going from the Strat to that.

#47769  by bucketorain

that's Jerry inserted using Photo Shop...
:cool:

#47788  by RiverRat

Last edited by RiverRat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

#47808  by jeffm725

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Yo !
Anyone ever mention your Jerry guy looks like Jerry ?????
Dude !
Yo Jeff
I just got a "77" Musician ...
I like it alot ;going from the Strat to that.

we have a winner, it took 18 days!! (I had posted a little bonghit blurb saying "lets see how long this takes" right before I posted the casio shots...the meaning behind was to see how long before the first person said, "whoa, that looks like Jerry"....yeah he does .....a little bit.....although I tell him he looks more like a cross between Boxcar Willie and Wolfman Jack 8) :o

Nice pickup on the musician, was it the one in the lnk you sent me? That is a nice looking guitar!, They are very "playable" no? (I cant really think of a better term, they just invite themselves into your hands, great guitars)