#174509  by Chocol8

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone tried the Tonex software and pedal yet? It offers (supposedly) more accurate captures than a Kemper or QC, but with little in the way of effects. That said it can also capture amps with drive pedals or the pedals separately, and then combine them in presets. Currently $399 new.

I am thinking you could profile/capture an SMS or Twin Reverb pre into a big Mac through some JBL's and then leave all that heavy and expensive stuff at home. Actually, capture a few different configs and leave the dirt pedals home too. I am thinking Tonex, plus an envelope filter, octave, and phase pedals (and tuner) could get you most of Jerry on a small and lightweight pedal board. Add in IEM's, ( or an FRFR, or amp plus a cab) for monitoring and you could have a great rig that fits in a small bag/backpack.
 #174514  by ssmug

I don't see why not. @tcsned did this with his Kemper and it sounded fantastic.
 #174525  by Chocol8

ssmug wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:46 am I don't see why not. @tcsned did this with his Kemper and it sounded fantastic.
Well, pump the brakes for now. I did a search, and out of 11,000+ captures shared so far, there are two featuring a 1977 Twin Reverb with JBL's, and they are both pretty bad. That's the closest I have come to finding a pre-existing Jerry tone.

The Tone.Net UI is truly horrible by the way, but I will keep looking for a DI Twin capture that we could use a separate JBL IR with, and I will report back with any success. I currently have not one but two disassembled Twins or I would try to capture my own. I will do so and share hopefully later this summer when I get them rebuilt. I don't have a good environment or the tools to capture a high quality IR, but if I get desperate, I may try to make arrangements.

FWIW, the pedal seems pretty good and I have gotten some great tones out of it in just a few hours of fiddling, but the software is truly dreadful. The Tonex is definitely not for tweakers. It might be a good solution for someone who want to load a handful of amp tones, unplug the USB cable and just play which is how I want to use it.
 #174526  by ssmug

Not sure why you're saying "pump the brakes."

I didn't say it was there now or that every profile is of equal quality. I said it has the same profiling capability as Kemper, and that tcsned profiled his MC/SMS rig in his Kemper, and it sounded frantastic. There's no reason someone couldn't do that with the Tonex -- that's what it's made to do.
 #174544  by Chocol8

I am just saying don't expect to be able to download a "Jerry Tone Model" and play. You will need to do your own capture of your own rig, and that will require additional hardware, unlike with the Kemper.

The Tonex CAN work, but it is going to take someone putting in the effort and then sharing before we get there.
 #174547  by ssmug

Oh yeah, for sure. I misinterpreted what you meant.

Still hoping tcsned gets a Tonex and profiles his rig.