#174287  by TI4-1009

Was it in the Guitar Player interview when he talked about his custom guitars and said that they give him like 12 different setting options so he has a wide palette for work from (or words to that effect)?

He was mainly a split middle guy, but he moved it around a lot to get the "just exactly right" tone he was after at the moment.
NeilG1 liked this
 #174289  by Slewfoot2000

TI4-1009 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:58 pm Was it in the Guitar Player interview when he talked about his custom guitars and said that they give him like 12 different setting options so he has a wide palette for work from (or words to that effect)?

He was mainly a split middle guy, but he moved it around a lot to get the "just exactly right" tone he was after at the moment.
Recall reading that as well somewhere...12 different sounds yet all himself!

What amazes me about Jerry's use of different pickup positions is that positions 2 and 4 (whenever he did use them) never sounded Straty. When I use that term I mean Knopfler / SRV / Nile Rodgers and so many artists in the late 70's / early 80's after the 5-way switch was added. That bright and jangly, clucky sound.

On my Jerry inspired guitar in those positions I immediately get that Straty sound. It's almost like Jerry had different fingers than I do. :^)
TI4-1009, Limestone liked this
 #174297  by Limestone

I’m at the beginning of my Jerry Tone Quest, and have found that I get good use of OBEL-OFF, split middle for both a clean Jerry tone, and an early Knopfler tone- I love it that I can get both tones out of my Eastwood Wolf.

I wish I could say I was happy with my OBEL tones- guess I’ll just have to keep experimenting.