#174115  by Jon S.

I clicked on the video expecting to be underwhelmed but in fact I liked the tones I heard, particular when the demo'er had the gain knob set low or off. Now you experiment with the pedal - you're the one who has one - and let us know what you think!
 #174116  by Darkstar860

^ I dont have it yet. He ordered it this AM for me as a birthday gift. When i get it ill def share with you. I was curious if anyone else on here had tried one, i guess ill the first it looks like :-) The tone at the lower gain settings in the video is the tone im after, so this thing i think will go very well on my board. I built him a few guitars and hes given me pedals. He also gave me the Bob Weir Pig preamp pedal as well a few years ago, he knows im into the Dead. :-)
 #174133  by lbpesq

Darkstar860 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:14 pm He also gave me the Bob Weir Pig preamp pedal as well a few years ago, he knows im into the Dead. :-)

Are you referring to the Pigtronix Bob Weir Real Deal? What did you think if it?

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #174151  by Jon S.

rugger wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:45 am Waaaay too much gain.

john in san diego
Do you mean on tap, or even w/the gain control at 0?

If the latter, it’s a problem. If the former, it’s irrelevant.
 #174164  by rugger

Well, both really. I think marketing this thing as a Jerry box is way off the mark. Ad copy says low to mid gain. Huh? Transparent? Sounded to me like it started at mid gain and went into muff territory. The gain all the way up was a completely unusable Jerry tone. I don't know, I read the description of the pedal and think one thing, and then he demoed it and it was nowhere near that. I think if SUF lowered the gain range 25-30% the pedal would be much more useful and probably sell better. But what do I know? I guess time will tell.

Honest question here, would anyone buy this pedal after watching that demo?

Have a great weekend everyone.
strumminsix liked this
 #174165  by Darkstar860

I like the tone he has when the Gain is all the way down and the EQ is at like 3pm. That tone i would use with my guitars volume backed down a bit. For me i like that tone.

My buddy just got it in the mail and im suppose to go up to NY and jam with him so ill have the pedal in a few weeks. Was a nice gift, he and i have always traded and given each other gear over the years. I have some cool stuff thanks to him :-) Ill have to do a video with it thru my SMS setup with my Bean and Wolfs.

But i dont like the sounds of the pedal when the gain was turned up. For me this would be used with the gain down all the way and work with my guitars volume. But hey tone is subjective, what you or I like, may not be what someone else likes. I agree with the marketing, I think this pedal is gonna be all about your volume pot on your guitar to make it useful with the gain turned up. But thats just me ;-)
 #174166  by Jon S.

>> I like the tone he has when the Gain is all the way down and the EQ is at like 3pm. That tone i would use with my guitars volume backed down a bit. For me i like that tone.

This is similar to my fave setting on the ProCo RAT 2’s I have on each of my ‘boards. At $80/each, BTW, compared to the $195 I’m seeing for the Dire Wolf.

Ignore the name would be my approach. Play with the controls, find the tones you like for all of the genres of music you play, and enjoy it.
Last edited by Jon S. on Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #174167  by Jon S.

5 pages on this pedal over on TGP. The builder participates in it and describes his influences and goals for the pedal.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... d.2381327/
 #174168  by Jon S.

Jon S. wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 pm
rugger wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:45 am Waaaay too much gain.

john in san diego
Do you mean on tap, or even w/the gain control at 0?

If the latter, it’s a problem. If the former, it’s irrelevant.
As someone who enjoys playing Dead greatly but whose overall influences and repertoire are much broader than Dead only, I’ll say it again, this time differently. If the pedal works for you, in any single setting, to cop the Deadish tones you like, it’s a winner no matter what’s its name and all the other tones on tap are gravy. I feel this way about my versatile RATS, too.
 #174536  by Darkstar860

Hand signed #171. You guys have to try one of these in person. Dont go off the demo videos all that much. I can cover sooooo much of Jerrys tone.... im shocked. My search for the perfect OD/Dist pedal is over ! Just wow.... :-)
Jon S. liked this