#173568  by Darkstar860

I cant remember if i posted on here info on these. In all of my amps i am using 6n2p preamp tubes (Some amps have the standard 6n2p and others 6n2p-ev). These are military spec tubes. I am using a little adapter that switches the 6n2 wiring to fit the 12ax7. I cant believe how good these tubes sound. I even have 2 of these in my SMS CTP. Def recommend ya'll try these out. Same with an EL84 style tube ive been using which doesnt require any adapter but does need the bias cooled, is the 6p14p. I have tried 3 different versions of this tube and in my Orange Tremlord these tubes sound awesome ! Anywhoo you can find them for cheap and i highly recommend trying these.

Oh i have not tried the 6n2p tubes in the phase inverter yet. So thats the only tube in any of my amps that is not a 6n2p. Ive always used 12ay7 in PI of my amps.

Anyone else try these and if so what were your experiences with them ?
 #173570  by Jon S.

Thanks for educating me as to the pickup option of which I wasn't previously aware.

Curious as to what you mean exactly by "a little adapter that switches the 6n2 wiring to fit the 12ax7." Is this a product you bought (and if so, what and from where), or did you have to build it yourself?
 #173575  by Darkstar860

Ya just plug the tube into the adapter and then the adapter into your 12ax7 slot. Thats it.

As you can see there is a 6n2p tube in the adaptor next to a standard RCA 12ax7.

Search ebay for "6n2 to 12ax7".

I built a few myself but then i found them online for a $1 more than building my own. You can also (as i said in my previous post) rewire your sockets. I have one amp that has a switch (2 way), depending on which type of tube i insert the amp I just flip the switch to match. Ive also mix matched have 12ax7 in V1 and 6n2p in V2 etc. Theres 2 versions of the 6n2p one is a -ev version that is quoted as lasting 10,000hours going by the spec sheet. Because they are military grade they handle vibrations better.

Anywhoo. So no one else has tried these ?

The 6p14p (EL84 style tube) are direct drop in replacement (no adaptor needed). But you should cool your bias first. A lot of newer amps bias their EL84 tubes waaaay too hot.
Jon S. liked this
 #173577  by strumminsix

Darkstar860 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:11 pm The 6p14p (EL84 style tube) are direct drop in replacement (no adaptor needed). But you should cool your bias first. A lot of newer amps bias their EL84 tubes waaaay too hot.
Dr Z designed his Maz series with those in mind. One of my favorite amps is the Maz 8 which runs 1 of these (single ended). For amps designed for these, popping in an EL will really diminish the awesomeness. The good doctor calls them 6n14n but it's a Cyrillic P looking like a lower case n: 6P14P = 6П14П
 #173589  by yodasfro

These are the stock tubes in my red bear cub 50 some people swap them for the 12ax7. They are said to have their own special tone.