#173463  by Darkstar860

I realized i never read why Jerry stopped using Mesa amps and why it was such a short period of time he used one. Did he use a Mark I or Mark II ? I really dont know any information on any of this. Any info would be grand ;-)

Thanks

-Walt B
strumminsix liked this
 #173467  by Cozmik Cowboy

I couldn't swear to this, but I think his were early enough that they didn't have a model designation (the first design only became Mk I after the Mk II was introduced).

As to why their short reign in his backline, I haven't heard anything about that - but considering his equipment (outside that brief moment) from '65 to '95, I guessing it was simply because they weren't Twin Reverbs. The TR was Jerry's Sound, Warlocks to the end.
 #173478  by Cozmik Cowboy

Upon further reflection (read "I hit that page in my current rereading of Grateful Dead Gear......), I am reminded that prior to the MkII, the "MkI" was the "Super 60"; Jer's (and Bobby's) were, according to Jackson, MkIs.
 #173479  by Jon S.

Over the years, Jerry sounded like himself, and great, using a variety of guitars and amps. Few will argue with this. Where it can get contentious is suggesting so can you and I.
 #173481  by lbpesq

Are those McIntosh amps I see under Jerry & Bob's Boogies?

Bill, tgo
 #173482  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm Are those McIntosh amps I see under Jerry & Bob's Boogies?

Bill, tgo
Good eyes! Can we assume he was tapping the MESA’s preamp?
 #173485  by Gr8fulCadi

Under Jerry’s amps, looks like an MC3500, single channel 350 watt tube power amp and under Bobs looks to be the MC2300.
 #173488  by Darkstar860

I for the life of me get stuck fiddling with the knobs on a Mesa for what seems like forever and never liking the tone. Im after a Mark Knopfler tone before im looking for Jerry, i like to have a mix of those two in my sound. When i try to chase Jerry only im not a huge fan of the results. So thats why my tone is a bit different.

-Walt B
 #173493  by strumminsix

Darkstar860 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:33 am I for the life of me get stuck fiddling with the knobs on a Mesa for what seems like forever and never liking the tone. Im after a Mark Knopfler tone before im looking for Jerry, i like to have a mix of those two in my sound. When i try to chase Jerry only im not a huge fan of the results. So thats why my tone is a bit different.

-Walt B
seriously agree. i feel like with Mesa i'm alsy so close to loving my tone but can't figure out which knob needs more or less so end up doing microadjustments all night. similar to vox. can't get a clean tone i like. but i LOVE when others play them both...
 #173494  by lbpesq

I went through several Boogies, Mark I, Mark IIC+, Mark III, 50/50 power amp. Just too heavy! I feel like the caption to the above photo should read:

“Hi, with the Grateful Dead we play a lot of outdoor shows. Sometimes it gets so windy that the gusts literally blow away our McIntosh amps. This was a huge problem until we discovered Mesa Boogies. Just put one or two of those suckers on top of a McIntosh and that Mac ain’t going nowhere! Mesa Boogie, bring your hand-truck, stay for the show!”

hehehehe

Bill, tgo
Cozmik Cowboy liked this
 #173497  by Cozmik Cowboy

Jon S. wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:01 pm Over the years, Jerry sounded like himself, and great, using a variety of guitars and amps. Few will argue with this. Where it can get contentious is suggesting so can you and I.
Absolutely on the guitars (his tone was even immediately recognizable on an L-5!).

But a lot of amps? As far as I know (and I'm always eager to learn more!) he started with the Warlocks on a Twin, then added a few Twins, then - except for his brief foray into Mesa-land and the notorious Bear/ T. Scully "Owsleystein" system - - it was 2 Twin pre-amps (one black, one silver) driving one of a series of Macs, into Alembic/Hard Truckers cabs (at least with the Dead; I have an embarrassing dearth of knowledge on his side-band gear).