#173413  by Ethanlovesjazz

Has anyone used this strat for the Jerry thing?

Have one on the way and super excited for it. Hard tail, big neck, great pickups. Played through a vintage twin and it slayed.

This is the MIM version to clarify
 #173414  by Jon S.

Based on Cray's signature tones, I think it'll work for you!
Ethanlovesjazz liked this
 #173418  by Darkstar860

Haha. I used one of his MIM ones a long time ago for about 6 months doing Dead stuff, but then i got back my 1983 G&L Nighthawk ;-)

That is one guitar I seriously miss, got stolen 15 years or so ago i think. The picture above is the same color guitar but not the same one. Those pickups in that sounded perfect for Jerry stuff. But the Cray strat i really liked as well, i just missed having 22 frets and i liked at the time having the trem. I think the Cray strat is one of their better signature strats that seems to go under the radar.

If your looking for early 70s Jerry yall should check out G&L guitars. I have quite a few and they really nail that tone and if you are using the right setup you can almost switch back and forth between Bobby and Jerry tones. I use to do this with that Cray strat too. I had a AC15 for the Bobby tone and a few pedals that were only used for that. Then i had a Deluxe for the Jerry stuff with pedals that i only used for that amp. Id switch between amps and as long as i had them leveled right that was a killer setup. Gotta remember when In The Dark started I was the only guitar player ;-)

Nice guitar ya got coming, plz post pics when ya get it :-)
 #173461  by nopunin10dead

Nice! I have a MIM Cray Strat. Good guitar, some of the best contemporary Fender pickups (IMHO). The hardtail aspect is crucial too.

But, I agree more that a G&L Nighthawk (or Skyhawk, as the name was changed in early 84) can give excellent Jerry tones. Many were made with a maple body, like one that I have, and that tone wood (like the core of Wolf and layers of Tiger) plus the middle pickup gives up stellar Jerry tones. The pickups are low wind with moderate output but a much wider frequency range than Fender Stratocaster pickups, plus all pole pieces are height adjustable (not flat). Add the passive treble and bass rolloff controls (that work on all three pickups) and you have a versatile toneful axe. Made from 1983 through 1991, with thinner necks and good action that are a joy to play. (I have had more than one!!) The model was reissued a few years ago, but the pickups are the modern S-500 pickups, which have a different tone that I don't prefer. The modern ones do have a toggle so you can combine neck and bridge pickups (useful, Tele-esque) or all three.