#173206  by Darkstar860

Hey there folks.

I bought a Tone Pros tune-o-matic bridge replacement for one of my guitars. When I went to put it on, the posts are about 1/8th of an inch closer together than the bridge holes. Has anyone else ran into this problem ? The bridge fits on another guitar of the same make and model, so this has to do with this specific guitar. If anyone has run into this, were you able to figure out a solution and if so what was it ? Thanks
 #173207  by Jon S.

Obviously, you could fill the original holes and redrill new ones. But I assume you're loathe to do that, at least initially. I'm curious, too, to read what other suggestions you may get.
 #173208  by Darkstar860

I can get the bridge on the posts, if they are unscrewed almost all the way. But as I tighten the posts down it gets harder and harder to tighten the posts and then there is no further you can go. Its off by that little, but its enough.
 #173209  by lbpesq

I’d enlarge the holes on the bridge before I would drill out and reposition the mounting posts. I’ve done this several times with good results. If it’s already close, you can usually get away with widening only one side of the bridge.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #173210  by Gr8fulCadi

Can you purchase the correct bridge with the correct post hole spacing for that guitar?

I own two Gretsch guitars, both having different post hole spacing due to American made vs Korean made.
 #173211  by Darkstar860

As i said this is same exact bridge, model # and all, that fits on another guitar that is the same exact guitar. The guitar itself is off on the spacing. I bought the same exact bridge because it def fit the guitar. But I even measured the spacing between the posts and its off, the other guitar is not even a mm off. Its barely off, but enough where i need to mod something. So there is not a "correct size" bridge haha ;-)

I may make the holes on the bridge bigger. Thanks for the tip and by the way what type of bit would you use (drill bit) ? Just making sure that if theres a better tool to use, i use it ;-)
 #173212  by Gr8fulCadi

Ahhhhh big 10/4. Was thinking back when I ordered Tru Arc bridges and the difference of two bridges I had to order even on the same country of origin Gretsch was 73mm and 74mm. Carry on and Best of luck!
 #173213  by lbpesq

Darkstar860 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:49 pm I may make the holes on the bridge bigger. Thanks for the tip and by the way what type of bit would you use (drill bit) ? Just making sure that if theres a better tool to use, i use it ;-)

I've done this using a small round file. You don't need to enlarge the hole top to bottom, only side to side. Get a round file that's a little smaller than the exiting hole, and file the outside of the hole until it fits correctly on the posts.

Bill, tgo
 #173214  by Darkstar860

Ok ;-) Thanks everyone. Ill get back to yall with a pic when im done.

Off to work I go ;-)