#173590  by Slewfoot2000

I took my digital calipers and did some measurements and here is what the readings said...all basically in the same ballpark. Any differences are more in how they feel for each of us...glad we have some things to choose from!

Adamas original - 0.078
Adamas Dunlop - 0.081
Telefunken - 0.079
Piglet version - 0.075
 #173623  by Stella Bloo

I have a bunch of Adamas graphite picks and love the feel, but strumming, they seem so "metallic" to me. Especially on my acoustic. It certainly could be my hand action or strumming technique. I like the heft and thickness, but having trouble getting used to the metallic sound they seem to be making.

Thoughts? Should I keep trying and will get used to them?

Also, did Jerry use them on acoustic as well as electric?

Thanks!
 #173624  by Jon S.

You know my take on this issue:

- CONSIDER what others have done;

- DO what works and sounds best for YOU.

This being said, I feel that when I use my graphite picks both with electric and acoustic guitars, they sound wonderful with no "metallic" overtones.
 #173625  by Cozmik Cowboy

Stella Bloo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:55 am I have a bunch of Adamas graphite picks and love the feel, but strumming, they seem so "metallic" to me. Especially on my acoustic. It certainly could be my hand action or strumming technique. I like the heft and thickness, but having trouble getting used to the metallic sound they seem to be making.

Thoughts? Should I keep trying and will get used to them?

Also, did Jerry use them on acoustic as well as electric?

Thanks!
I fingerpick naked well over 99% of the time, but when I use a pick. it's an Adamas. And yes, the pointy end is a bit much, so I turn it & use a rounded corner or the short edge. Of course, I do that with almost any pick.
 #173626  by Slewfoot2000

I tend to generally prefer a regular Fender Extra Heavy pick for acoustics over the Adamas-ish picks. I only have one acoustic and sometimes the graphite ones can make it sound a touch too dense without the snap.

For electrics it's graphite 90% of the time though unless my mood dictates otherwise.
 #173632  by Stella Bloo

Thanks and interesting feedback. Now, for some reason, I am revisiting the multitude of different picks I seem to have collected over the years. Kind of a fun little experiment. I will say, I do need a thicker > 1mm pick. Does anyone know the thickness of the Jazz III's? They seem fairly stiff.