#172148  by NeilG1

Hi all
I'm in the process of landing a '65 black face vibro champ. It has the original speaker in it. I'll see how it sounds, but am poking around at potential replacement speakers.
Anyone have recommendations that sound great and fit in this little cab?
Thanks
Neil
 #172149  by Jon S.

NeilG1 liked this
 #172152  by Smolder

I’m a broken record here… but, Jupiter and Fat Jimmy, and WGS (all made by WGS) have raised the bar so hi I don’t think that amp needs a 10, in spite of what folks say. I have several of them and the sound huge by comparison to stock or even webers.

None of these sound like a JBL. I have not tried an 8” JBL… they are hard to come by. But my experience with a couple of d/k110’s tells me it’s not worth the chase.

Ceramic magnet models will stay cleaner, while the WGS aLincoln can take you to overdrive and zz top heaven. I have two champs, one with an Alnico WGS, and one with a Jupiter… they sound quite different and I use them for different things. If I were focused on Jerry, it would be the ceramic Jupiter or Fat Jimmy.
NeilG1 liked this
 #172154  by Jon S.

Curious, what's the original speaker? For decades, people loved the 8" Jensens. I think your approach described in your OP to "see how it sounds" first is spot on. You may find you dig it as is.
 #172155  by NeilG1

Absolutely - definitely plan to listen first. it's got an original Jensen.
Mostly I'm biding time while I'm stoked and waiting for the tubes to get changed :)
Might love the Jensen!
Jon S. liked this