#171750  by cyrusj83

Hey, friends. I'm wondering when/why a Thick Air would be good in the signal chain. I have the Waldo 72 blaster and an FYD, Carvin DCM-200L, and one JBL E-120.

Do y'all generally use one or the the other (meaning, blaster/buffer OR Thick Air)? Is the Blaster more or less supposed to suffice instead of the Thick Air? Do people use them together?

I'm not sure if my guitar sounds thin on stage or if I just need to turn the volume up.

Thanks!
 #171753  by cyrusj83

milobender wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am Although it's counter-intuitive, I like it best last, out of the chain, just before the SMS. But experimentation is key!
Thanks! I was actually watching some of your videos last night on the subject.

I guess I didn’t articulate my question well enough. I’m asking if a thick air is an alternative to blaster/buffer for Jerry tone or if people find that a blaster/buffer AND thick air into a fender and jbl is best. Basically I’m asking if having both a blaster and a thick air is redundant.
 #171754  by lbpesq

While I have no experience with the Thick Air, I am a bit conversant on the Alembic Strat-O-Blaster and Jerry's use of the little preamp. As I understand it, a blaster in a Jerry set-up is doing something quite different from boost/distortion pedals. Jerry ran his blaster at approximately unity gain. It acted as a buffer to convert his guitar signal to low impedance and thus avoid tone suck from long cable runs. It also added a degree of fuller tone. A Thick Air is a dual boost/distortion that is used to boost the signal and provide a hotter signal to the amp. I see no reason why these can't be used together. So, answering your question, no, they are not redundant.

Bill,tgo
cyrusj83 liked this
 #171758  by milobender

cyrusj83 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:51 pm
milobender wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am Although it's counter-intuitive, I like it best last, out of the chain, just before the SMS. But experimentation is key!

I guess I didn’t articulate my question well enough. I’m asking if a thick air is an alternative to blaster/buffer for Jerry tone or if people find that a blaster/buffer AND thick air into a fender and jbl is best. Basically I’m asking if having both a blaster and a thick air is redundant.
I love it with the blaster Alligator type setup. It's not redundant at all. It just depends on the type of sound you're going for.
cyrusj83 liked this
 #171759  by milobender

lbpesq wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:51 pm While I have no experience with the Thick Air, I am a bit conversant on the Alembic Strat-O-Blaster and Jerry's use of the little preamp. As I understand it, a blaster in a Jerry set-up is doing something quite different from boost/distortion pedals. Jerry ran his blaster at approximately unity gain. It acted as a buffer to convert his guitar signal to low impedance and thus avoid tone suck from long cable runs. It also added a degree of fuller tone. A Thick Air is a dual boost/distortion that is used to boost the signal and provide a hotter signal to the amp. I see no reason why these can't be used together. So, answering your question, no, they are not redundant.

Bill,tgo
Actually it's not a 'distortion' pedal at all. It's a two stage preamp that is extremely clean. You can over-drive other devices, but there is literally no distortion from the TA. The amps are based on the Blaster design, but are quite different in construction as well as performance.
cyrusj83 liked this
 #171760  by lbpesq

Didn't mean to dis the Thick Air in any manner. As I stated, I have no experience with it, other than reading nothing but glowing reviews. I just meant that the two units, Blaster (as Jerry used it) and Thick Air, are doing two different jobs and I can see no reason to believe using both would be redundant.

Bill, tgo
cyrusj83 liked this
 #171762  by milobender

lbpesq wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:37 am Didn't mean to dis the Thick Air in any manner. As I stated, I have no experience with it, other than reading nothing but glowing reviews. I just meant that the two units, Blaster (as Jerry used it) and Thick Air, are doing two different jobs and I can see no reason to believe using both would be redundant.

Bill, tgo
Oh, I didn't feel you were, I was just adding clarification to your statement
 #171780  by walterbriggs

Videos? Can you point me toward said videos? I'm playing with my newly acquired Thick Air and having a blast (pun intended) and would love to hear more!
 #171781  by tdcrjeff

walterbriggs wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:48 am

Videos? Can you point me toward said videos? I'm playing with my newly acquired Thick Air and having a blast (pun intended) and would love to hear more!
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... milobender
milobender liked this
 #175443  by milobender

I'm making them regularly... I've just sold the last of the most recent batch... I should have some more done in a few weeks.
Brian
Io Custom Guitars