#171396  by others trust mike

I recently built a Tiger tribute guitar and am struggling with obel/buffer wiring. I wired everything to specs of tiger schematic from dozin , and when I switch obel on everything works but no volume control from volume knob. when I switch obel off no sound at all . I am stumped an was hoping there was an easy explanation for this type of deal. I am using stereo y with stereo end in pedal board and tip/ring in guitar. I tried switching tip and ring at obel jack with no luck......confusion has its cost
 #171400  by Jon S.

Welcome to RUKIND.

>> I tried switching tip and ring at obel jack with no luck.

This would have been my first step, too, sorry it didn't work. Hopefully, others will chime in with further ideas.
 #171403  by cyrusj83

Dude I went through so many problems trying to get my homebuilt OBEL guitar to work. I eventually punched out because I never got the OBEL on/off switch to work properly.

During all my trials and errors, I probably came across this same problem.

I'm sorry if this is pedantic or condescending, but it took me a while to realize I was definitely NOT wiring up m 14b properly. Did you wire up the ring switch and tip switch properly? They're the two closest to the center of the jack with the sleeve lug in between.

If not, yeah please post a pic and we can brainstorm this.
others trust mike liked this
 #171404  by others trust mike

everything is wired according to tiger schematic from dozinhttp://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/tiger_schematic.htm . My control cavity is a bit over crowded so can't get a good picture of connections. I have a few different versions of wiring scheme for tiger and I ended up switching tip/ring connectors at obel switch to get signal. the only difference from above schematic is I jumped neck and bridge pu instead of push pull knob. A very confusing journey works with obel on with no volume control , and no sound when switched off from obel switch
 #171405  by Jon S.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tech. I'm just a regular guy trying to be helpful if I can.

When this also happened at first to me with my "Tiger," the problem turned out to be in the cable, not the guitar. My amp tech did something to change the cable's wiring. It fixed the issue.

In case helpful, here are Godfrey Daniel's thoughts on the subject (or at least a related one): http://hubbubpedal.com/wp-content/uploa ... laimer.pdf Perhaps something here will be useful to you (I think it was to my tech):

“Hey Godfrey, Something is wrong
I hooked up the HubBub to my guitar and rig and it is not working”

While it is always possible that there could be a defect in my wiring of the pedal, with
over 410 pedals made in over a 13 year period, none have ever failed or been return for
not working.

Nevertheless, I do occasionally get an email or phone call with the above quoted
statement. In each and every case, the problem is this:

The OBEL jack on the guitar is wired backwards.

The HubBub requires that the OBEL jack be wired Tip to SEND and Ring to RETURN as per
the wiring diagram on dozin.com of Doug Irwins Tiger guitar.

The fix is simple. Just open the OBEL jack on the guitar and reverse the 2 leads. Do not
change the 3rd ground wire. If you are not up to doing this yourself, Any guitar repair
guy can do it.

Once that is accomplished, your rig with The HubBub will work perfectly.

FYI- Do not try to use a “Y” cable with the HubBub. The HubBub eliminates the need for it.
You must use a stereo cable with a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) jack on both ends for the OBEL
jack
 #171409  by Searing75

Go over the schematic again and closely check that everything is just exactly perfect. Next, reflow all solder connections. It sounds to me that you at least have something wired wrong to the volume pot if it has no affect.
others trust mike liked this
 #171411  by others trust mike

Searing75 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:14 pm Go over the schematic again and closely check that everything is just exactly perfect. Next, reflow all solder connections. It sounds to me that you at least have something wired wrong to the volume pot if it has no affect.
I got obel working when I switch it off I get only 30% volume , and volume knob works . when I switch obel on it is way louder , and no volume control . I went over the wiring 20 times and it is all per spec. all solder joints are secure don't know what it could be..........nevermind how I stumble and fall
 #171414  by cyrusj83

Bypass the OBEL switch. Blade -> Blaster/buffer -> 14b tip and then 14b (edit: RING) to volume in

If that works then you know it’s a problem with the OBEL switch. If not, you’ve eliminated one possible problem.
 #171423  by others trust mike

cyrusj83 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:40 am Bypass the OBEL switch. Blade -> Blaster/buffer -> 14b tip and then 14b (edit: RING) to volume in

If that works then you know it’s a problem with the OBEL switch. If not, you’ve eliminated one possible problem.
cool bro I appreciate the advice . I took a break from guitar but when I revisit I will try this.
 #171430  by TI4-1009

others trust mike wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:32 pm I want to post pics but am new to this site..... one step at a time hahahaha
https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=359&t=12940
 #171502  by tdcrjeff

others trust mike wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:18 pm does anybody know if stereo y cable is supposed to be tip/ring/sleeve on both obel jack and main output to pedalboard Mine is T/R/S for pedalboard and both jacks for guitar output jacks are mono. Is this a possible problem ?
Your statement is a little confusing because you are kinda mixing terminology. "both obel jack and main output to pedalboard" is confusing because "main output" from guitar does not go to the pedalboard, it goes to the amp.

The OBEL jack on the guitar is TRS, the cable that plugs into that is a TRS plug through a "stereo" cable (two signals). If you are using a Y-cable rather than a junction box, the tip from the TRS cable goes to one mono 1/4" plug, the ring goes to another 1/4" mono plug. Those two 1/4" plugs are then the input/output of your effects chain. The signal goes out of the guitar (through the buffer) on one of the wires, then through the effects chain, then back up to the guitar on the same cable (the other wire), then through the volume knob and back out of the other "guitar out" jack.

The other jack on the guitar is an output that goes straight to your amp. It would normally just be a mono jack, but can be stereo jack if it is used to switch the battery power for the buffer. If both jacks on the guitar are mono then yes it won't work.

This Phred diagram is good, but assumes you are using a junction box. If it's a Y-cable, just substitute the Y-cable for the "stereo guitar cable (TRS-TRS)" and junction box.