#171376  by Phrygian

I am brand new here, but I have been studying Jerry's playing for some time now. Lately I have the urge to get an envelope filter pedal and have been investigating current production units - specifically EH Q-Tron, Keeley Neutrino V2, and Source Audio Spectrum. I know that none of them are going to sound exactly like Jerry's set up. I am hoping to get in the ballpark, playing at home for my own amusement. I am looking for feedback from people who have these units or have tried them. Going to a well stocked store to try them myself is impractical at the moment. Thanks!
 #171379  by lbpesq

The closest EF to Jerry sound on the current market is the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron IV, designed by Mike Beigel, the same guy who designed the original Mutron III that Jerry used (along with Stevie Wonder and Bootsy Collins). The Q-Tron is pretty close (Beigel designed that one, too.). I haven’t tried the other two.

Bill, tgo
 #171380  by NeilG1

Lots of discussions of this in these pages if you search for sure.
I had a Q-Tron+ until very recently. It was very good in my hands. Recently got rid of it for a used Micro-Tron 3 (not the new 4). I find this one is better. Something about the way the filter opens just sounds more Jerry to me. Also, getting rid of the bigger box and weird power supply needs from the Q-Tron+ was a huge bonus.
Big caveat - this stuff is so personal to your rig and your hands. Very stiff pick and very light touch were key for me. Also adjusting my pickup height on my guitar made a huge difference in the way my EF responds.
In many ways, I wish I didn't want an EF! Such a fickle animal. But really fun when it works.
 #171381  by Jon S.

I am extremely pleased so far with my relatively new Micro Tron IV. For my previous 2 auto-wah/envelope filters, I had to precede each with a compressor to avoid harsh transient spikes. The Micro Tron IV has something built in akin (as it least it functions similarly) to a limiter. It's the smoothest, most user-friendly filter I've used ever, well worth the extra few bucks relative to its competitors.

Searing75, dmagalhaes, Chocol8 and 1 others liked this
 #171385  by NeilG1

Jon - did you own a Micro-Tron III? Do you find the iv radically different?
 #171387  by LazyLightning72

I can only comment on my personal experience with the QTron+, it is a large pedal if board space is a concern.

Once you get a feel for the settings it produces some great results though.
 #171388  by Jon S.

NeilG1 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:44 pm Jon - did you own a Micro-Tron III? Do you find the iv radically different?
Sorry, I did not so can't comment on that.
 #171389  by lbpesq

The Micro Q-Tron is a bit smaller than the Q-Tron+ and sounds just as good, IMHO. I believe the main difference between the MuTron Micro-Tron III and IV is that the IV has interchangeable modules you can purchase to get different sounds. I never thought this desirable enough to change out my III for the IV.

Bill, tgo
 #171391  by Phrygian

I hadn't considered the Micro-Tron IV. It appears that it is only sold direct or through Sam Ash. I was leaning toward the Source Audio Spectrum because of the other functions like octave.
 #171395  by Searing75

I have been through many EF’s, and only the Mutron Microtron IV has been a keeper. It is really the only filter I have found to be useable honestly. Don’t waste your time or money on anything else.
Jon S., Chocol8 liked this
 #171398  by Phrygian

Searing75 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:15 pm I have been through many EF’s, and only the Mutron Microtron IV has been a keeper. It is really the only filter I have found to be useable honestly. Don’t waste your time or money on anything else.
Searing - just curious, have you tried the three that I mentioned? BTW, my wife is originally from Lackawanna.
 #171399  by strumminsix

Depending on how close or musically different you want there are other cool options to consider:

3Leaf Proton - this sounds awesome and strong in the M3 ballpark and wider sweet spot to dial in, IMO

Emma Discumbobulator - my all time favorite. great EF/AW that's works as well for chords as single notes
 #171406  by dmagalhaes

I've got a Micro-Tron III and a Keeley Neutrino V2. The Micro-Tron is hands down the better sounding filter but the Keeley holds it's own and it's less than half the money. I would not recommend the V1 Keeley, I had one and it was very difficult to trigger and didn't sound as good as the current version.
 #171408  by Jon S.

dmagalhaes wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:49 pm I've got a Micro-Tron III and a Keeley Neutrino V2. The Micro-Tron is hands down the better sounding filter but the Keeley holds it's own and it's less than half the money. I would not recommend the V1 Keeley, I had one and it was very difficult to trigger and didn't sound as good as the current version.
Welcome to RUKIND! :musicsmile:
 #171410  by lbpesq

dmagalhaes wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:49 pm I've got a Micro-Tron III and a Keeley Neutrino V2. The Micro-Tron is hands down the better sounding filter but the Keeley holds it's own and it's less than half the money. I would not recommend the V1 Keeley, I had one and it was very difficult to trigger and didn't sound as good as the current version.
The Keeley is $179 new and the Micro-Tron IV is $279 new. More expensive, but not that much more expensive.

Bill, tgo