#171868  by Griffyote

I just ordered a Mutron Microtron IV from Sam Ash. I’m so glad I read this page before
ending up ordering another rinky dink filter that I wouldn’t be happy with. I had an EH
Mini Qtron after a Digitech FX 25. I honestly was able to play the FX25 better at half the price than the Mini Qtron . If anyone would care to share their MicroTron IV settings,
I’m sure it would get me in the Ballpark and save me some time and frustration from fiddling. :thewave: :rockon:
Thanks guys!
 #171870  by DeadSker

I have a mutron iii+ and a micro IV. To me, the Micro is overrated. I can't get as good of a Jerry Mutron sound out of the micro. The iii+ is spot on. I have had good luck using a Boss EQ before the micro to help dial it in, or by using it in my Boostron FX Loop. The old Q-trons are right up there with the HAZ iii+. Side note... I wasn't too impressed with the Phasor III (modern take on an old Mutron classic.)
https://imgur.com/a/7onyuHt
https://imgur.com/a/0I0GT89
https://imgur.com/oiBtPKm
https://imgur.com/iG5Hrly
Griffyote liked this
 #171872  by Griffyote

I know the OBEL system is popular in combination with the envelope filters.
I really have no desire to put one on my PRS Standard. I do have a Steel Guitar Black box and am hoping that will trigger the EF fine.The pickups are rated at 8.5 k and 15k.
I’ll find out. While going through some lean times I slowly removed all of my effects pedals from the signal chain as cords wore out. I’ve found out that 9 times out of 10 I’m pretty happy with my tone plugged straight into the Twin. :musicsmile:
 #171873  by strumminsix

Griffyote wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:28 pm I know the OBEL system is popular in combination with the envelope filters.
I really have no desire to put one on my PRS Standard. I do have a Steel Guitar Black box and am hoping that will trigger the EF fine.The pickups are rated at 8.5 k and 15k.
I’ll find out. While going through some lean times I slowly removed all of my effects pedals from the signal chain as cords wore out. I’ve found out that 9 times out of 10 I’m pretty happy with my tone plugged straight into the Twin. :musicsmile:
If you don't want an OBEL and worried about keeping a continual level to your EF, try this:
1) leave your guitar volume on 10, always
2) put the EF first in chain (or after SGBB)
3) put a volume pedal at the end of your board
ssmug liked this
 #171874  by lbpesq

strumminsix wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 am If you don't want an OBEL and worried about keeping a continual level to your EF, try this:
1) leave your guitar volume on 10, always
2) put the EF first in chain (or after SGBB)
3) put a volume pedal at the end of your board

That’s what I do. It works just fine and enables me to go wireless.

Bill, tgo
strumminsix, ssmug liked this
 #171876  by ssmug

Tennessee Jedi wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 pm Image

^^^^^ BEST FAKE MUTRON EVER ^^^^^^^^^^^

:-o
Image isn't showing up for me. What pedal is it?
 #171881  by Chocol8

Griffyote wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:06 pm I just ordered a Mutron Microtron IV from Sam Ash. I’m so glad I read this page before
ending up ordering another rinky dink filter that I wouldn’t be happy with. I had an EH
Mini Qtron after a Digitech FX 25. I honestly was able to play the FX25 better at half the price than the Mini Qtron . If anyone would care to share their MicroTron IV settings,
I’m sure it would get me in the Ballpark and save me some time and frustration from fiddling. :thewave: :rockon:
Thanks guys!
The micro-tron will come with suggested Jerry settings. Adjust the Gain (right most) control to match your guitar output, and you will be darn close out of the box.
Jon S. liked this
 #171882  by Jon S.

Chocol8 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:42 amThe micro-tron will come with suggested Jerry settings. Adjust the Gain (right most) control to match your guitar output, and you will be darn close out of the box.
Based on my experience with my own I agree 100% with Chocol8's sagacious counsel. I'd add only do not be afraid to experiment yourself with every possible setting on the unit. You may find that you can get closer to Jerry than the stock suggestion gets you and/or you may find your own "voice" that for whatever reason(s) you determine works better "for you" than Jerry's does for you.
lbpesq liked this
 #171883  by lbpesq

Brownie points for the use of "sagacious". Not often seen on internet forums. We are not only everywhere, we are educated too!

hehehehe

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #171886  by Searing75

It’s spelled: Weir everywhere. :lol:
 #171888  by cyrusj83

Make sure to open the microtron and mess with the trim pot on the right. It’ll definitely give you some different options. Also, YMMV, but I moved the jumper pin from Trutron to Mutron. That makes the gain knob also act like a volume knob, so turning the gain down means turning the level up, and vice versa. But with the trim pot and the jumper, you have a lot of options at your disposal.
 #172466  by Phrygian

I ended up ordering a Micro-Tron IV, which arrived the other day. I tried it out a bit last night and I like it better than the Spectrum for Jerry. I used the Tele seen in my avatar and got a good quack on all the strings. Coincidentally, after fiddling with the knobs for a short time, I arrived at settings very close to what is suggested in the quick guide. I will give it a whirl with my Strat next time.
Chocol8 liked this
 #172790  by natebernstein

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the 3Leaf Proton. I have one and like it. Even with my Nashville-style Tele, which has relatively low-output pickups, I can dial in nice, syrupy/vocal sounds that fit just fine in the Estimated/Shakedown/Stranger realm. But this thread has piqued my interest in the Micro-Tron IV, which I'd previously not heard of. Thanks!