#171139  by TRG

Hi all - I’ve tried searching the site for a comprehensive break down of these questions, but seems most of the topics show up in search, but are gone.

1.). Taking pedals out of the equation, what is the difference between cranking gain on a buffer (i.e. TPC-2)and turning up the preamp gain on say your SMS preamp? I know that the buffers purpose is to make up for single loss on long cord runs, but beyond that…would it be similar to just turning the preamp volume a bit?

2.). What is the difference between a buffer with an adjustable gain and a blaster? Do they net the same result tonally?

Ive got my buffer turned up and really like the bite it adds with no effects engaged, but feel like that level of gain does overpower some of my pedals a bit.

Curious if there are others that crank the buffer gain and what the experience is and if folks can help address my questions.

Thanks!
 #171140  by Chocol8

1) Assuming an ideal buffer/preamp, the gain setting of the buffer will have no impact on the tone itself. (the impedance change preserving your highs will be the same regardless of gain)

The gain will impact the way pedals and your amplifier react, and the first tube of the amp is before the volume control so it will be different than turning up the volume on the amp. (Assuming no pedals in between impacting levels.)

2) An adjustable gain buffer is really a pre-amp that buffers. So is the blaster. In theory they are both clean gain, but as you push it hard, the blaster will add some dirt. The blaster is a simple circuit using a jfet. Some of the newer designs use an op amp chip and get more complex. Tonal differences are pretty minor at lower gain settings.
 #171148  by TRG

Chocol8 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:45 am , and the first tube of the amp is before the volume control so it will be different than turning up the volume on the amp. (Assuming no pedals in between impacting levels.)
First of all thanks for responding!

I found this statement interesting. So are you saying that if you have the gain on a buffer turned up, its going to slam more signal at that first preamp tube, thereby adding more tonal color vs if that tube just saw a unity gain signal?
 #171149  by TRG

lbpesq wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:12 pm Personally, I prefer setting an on-board buffer/preamp always on at unity gain.

Bill, tgo
I used to always keep the buffer at unity, but then found by just turning it up a bit, it helps get the mutron functioning smoother (when in middle p/u split coil).
 #171169  by cyrusj83

I had an adjustable gain (op-amp) buffer and a stock Twin Reverb. I turned up the gain on the buffer to make my MuIV quack more consistently. I also expected a tonal difference but it was just cleaner and significantly louder (and I therefore I had to turn the volume down on my Twin). I wanted a little more grit in my tone so I got Waldo's +3db blaster and got exactly the tone I wanted, and with the FYD (or presumably the SMS), I'm able to take advantage of juiced tubes with some nice undertones. Mu sounds better too.