#170967  by Jon S.

I'm putting this in its own thread because it's both a preamp and power amp.

This relatively new unit is interesting me now because it has the features I need at a great price:

- $249 new
- includes 24V power supply if you want to use the built in 25W Class D amp
- also runs on a regular 9V supply for just the preamp or 1W output
- 3 US amp styles, including "65"
- can run into an external guitar speaker, XLR out, or headphones out
- built in reverb
- built in cab sim (choose bright, normal, or FRFR)

Really curious for feedback from anyone who actually has one and especially whether it works for Jerry tone.

https://www.quilterlabs.com/manuals/183 ... manual.pdf

#170968  by lbpesq

And here I thought you were divesting Jerry rigs. Ha! That didn’t last long!

hehehehe

Seriously, though, I haven’t tried this new one, but I have a Quilter MicroPro 200-8 and a 101 Mini Reverb. Love their gear. The only exception was their MicroBlock 45 pedal (which they don’t make anymore). I found it to be too distorted for GD type music. Their limiter control is intriguing. Lets you crank it, but still keep it on the clean side. If this new one was 50 instead of 25 watts, I’d be all over it. I’ll be looking forward to your review if you pick one up.

Bill, tgo
 #170969  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:34 am And here I thought you were divesting Jerry rigs. Ha! That didn’t last long!

hehehehe
Pwned! :lol:

I've (so far, at least) kept my MC50. It's getting lonely and for a measley $249, the new Quilter unit looks to be just the thing to drive it because of the XLR and headphone outs. I'll just use one of my JBL-loaded 1X12 cabs for the SuperBlock and MC50 and my second such cab as I'm using now for my SMS into the DCM200L. So that will be using the unit only as a preamp but I'll have the option to drive a guitar cab with it, too, should I want to at some point.
 #171827  by lbpesq

Been hearing more and more good things about these. This morning I got an email from Musician's Friend with a 20% off code, so I jumped on one (retail has increased to $279). Supposed to arrive in about a month.

Bill, tgo
 #171828  by Jon S.

I can only comment on the US SB but I love mine.

I plan to also cop the new Mach 3 when it's released. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Juk763egaA&t=30s
 #171829  by lbpesq

I also got the US. There are apparently UKs out there, but the US version is a little backed up. I’m also likely sell my MicroPro 200/matching cab and grab the Aviator Mach 3 when it’s released.
There’s what looks like a 50 watt prototype for sale currently on Sacramento Craigslist.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/d ... 46351.html

Bill, tgo
 #171830  by Jon S.

Yeah, saw that, too. One of the interesting things to me is how Quilter's nomenclature evolved from the prototype to the final version. E.g., OD Special became Sweet. I'm excited to test drive that setting, BTW, I love the Robben Ford-like singing OD Special-type tone.

#172390  by lbpesq

Woohooo! The Superblock US I ordered from MF last October, (can you say 'supply chain issues'), is finally shipping today! Looking forward to messing around with it.

Bill, tgo
 #172398  by Jon S.

My SB US has become my all-the-time practice and jam head. It is punchy enough to hang in my jam space even with a moderately loud drummer.

I run mine into an old USA Reverend 1X12 cab loaded with a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog, 30W, lightly doped.

I'd planned on copping a Mach 3, too, but I've put that on hold. Turns out I don't really need one now!

P.S. Any DMV Deadhead musicians in the DMV, drop me a PM. :wink:

#172884  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:03 am I'll just use one of my JBL-loaded 1X12 cabs for the SuperBlock and MC50 and my second such cab as I'm using now for my SMS into the DCM200L. So that will be using the unit only as a preamp but I'll have the option to drive a guitar cab with it, too, should I want to at some point.

Jon, how are you connecting the SuperBlock to the MC50? In that configuration, are you using a 9v or 24v power supply?

Thanks, Bill, tgo
 #172885  by Jon S.

I hate to say it but the MC50 is long gone (sold). I'm running my Superblock US into my Reverend 1X12 open back cab which is loaded with a lightly doped 30W Weber Ceramic Blue Dog.
brbadg liked this
 #172886  by lbpesq

When you had the Mac, how did you connect the SuperBlock to it? 1 watt out? Effects loop out? Headphone out? Line out? Some advice would be appreciated before I blow something up!

Bill, tgo
 #172887  by Jon S.

I never connected my Superblock to the MC50. Sorry I can't be of more help.

This being said, if you use either the headphone out or XLR out, you should be fine with running into the McI, after all, it's a straightforward power amp. The level of each is controlled by the Master control so you'll get all of the SB's features either way, including the reverb (with the XLR out, the cab sim function is engaged, too).
 #172888  by lbpesq

Sorry, it seems I misread your post and that got me thinking about using the SuperBlock as, essentially, a preamp pedal. Guess I’ll just have to tweak with it a bit and see what I come up with.

Bill, tgo