#170719  by LazyLightning72

Hi folks,

I have had this guitar now for about 7 months, and have been playing the hell out of it, nightly. I maintain my original impression of it. For the money, it’s a very well built guitar, and plays extremely well. It far exceeded my expectations by a lot.

Now that I have given the newness of it a time to pass, and have heard it played in every configuration you can think of , there are a few things I would like to do.

One thing is to change out the pickups, at the very least the two humbuckers.

Directly from Eastwood’s site:
PICKUPS:
Neck: 'Valco Custom HS2 MOD': 43AWG / 14.9k / Alnico V double bobbin Middle: 'Valco Custom Super2 MOD': 42AWG / 8.2k / Ceramic 4 Conductor Bridge: 'Valco Custom Super2 MOD': 42AWG / 8.6k / Ceramic 4 Conductor

I’m pretty sure I have seen a few times, that when his Wolf was changed over to a single coil on the neck and two humbuckers they were both DiMarzio Dual Sound. So that’s what I was planning on putting in, if in fact that is correct. I’ll probably leave the neck single coil alone for now, but may circle back around to change it out at some point. Which was a Fender Stratocaster pickup, in his.

I’ve found some of the new DiMarzio Dual Sound pickups for about $90 a piece.

So I guess my question is, would changing the current ones to the dual sound pups, be worth it. I mean worth it in terms of tone, I know that’s sometimes subjective, but I’m asking in a general sense?

Also, this will be the first time I have ever changed out pups on any of my guitars. All I need is a soldering iron, and the screwdriver to adjust the height after installing them? Would I need to change out any of the pots, etc...?

It will most likely be May or June when I do it, so there is plenty of time to figure this out.

Thanks for the help
Chris
 #170720  by Searing75

You will need wire cutters as well. As long as the pots are 500k you will be fine. The Dual sounds/Super Distortions are the way to go. I’ve always preferred the Super Distortions over the Super II’s. The only reason Jerry sounded just as good with his Super II’s was due to the volume he was able to play at. The Super II’s are thinner sounding, and benefit greatly from a loud rig. Most of us have no need to play that loud, so the Super Distortions do a better job.
 #170724  by wpmartin1979

Searing75 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 pm You will need wire cutters as well. As long as the pots are 500k you will be fine. The Dual sounds/Super Distortions are the way to go. I’ve always preferred the Super Distortions over the Super II’s. The only reason Jerry sounded just as good with his Super II’s was due to the volume he was able to play at. The Super II’s are thinner sounding, and benefit greatly from a loud rig. Most of us have no need to play that loud, so the Super Distortions do a better job.
This is where the Thick Air pedal steps in to turn the wheel and complete the circle. Works with single coils too. It’s finally allowed me to get edgy Jerry tones without blowing out my eardrums or wearing ear plugs. A miracle worker really.

Never tried the SDs but they are a bit darker in tone than the IIs.
Since I’m a huge fan of 1980 JGB I am overdue to try the SDs in a guitar.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #170730  by LazyLightning72

Searing75 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 pm You will need wire cutters as well. As long as the pots are 500k you will be fine. The Dual sounds/Super Distortions are the way to go. I’ve always preferred the Super Distortions over the Super II’s. The only reason Jerry sounded just as good with his Super II’s was due to the volume he was able to play at. The Super II’s are thinner sounding, and benefit greatly from a loud rig. Most of us have no need to play that loud, so the Super Distortions do a better job.
Forgot to say wire cutters, thanks for catching that.

Appreciate the input, as always :biggrin:

Edit*
I have found it’s always better to ask if you are not sure. I’ll check Eastwood’s site for the specs. If however it doesn’t list the type of pot, is there something visual I can look for to identify what I have in it already?

Thanks again
 #170732  by wpmartin1979

LazyLightning72 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:54 am
Forgot to say wire cutters, thanks for catching that.

Appreciate the input, as always :biggrin:

Edit*
I have found it’s always better to ask if you are not sure. I’ll check Eastwood’s site for the specs. If however it doesn’t list the type of pot, is there something visual I can look for to identify what I have in it already?

Thanks again
Do you mean wire strippers? You don’t want to cut the wires you want to unsolder them and use a wilder sucker then solder in the wires from the new pups .... makes for a much cleaner install IMHO
 #170778  by wpmartin1979

PLS30820 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:30 am I have an Eastwood wolf as well and was thinking about doing the exact same thing. I had been looking at the Super II's, but now think i'll go with the SD's. I might have missed the answer, but can you tell if the pots are 500k or not?
Since the guitar has Humbuckers the pots must be 500k. 250k pots would only be in guitars with single coils only.
 #170779  by Jon S.

For me, a tapped Super 2 in the middle position is my fave tone. It's plenty beefy for a single coilish pickup and relative to a 6.0K or so Strat PUP. I have Super Distortions in the bridge slot of two of my guitars. I love that pickup, too, but as my bridge PUP, especially when joined by a pair of middle and neck Super 2's with taps.
Last edited by Jon S. on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #170780  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:39 am For me, a slip Dual Sound in the middle position is my fave tone. It's plenty beefy for a single coilish pickup and relative to a 6.0K or so Strat PUP. I have Super Distortions in the bridge slot of two of my guitars. I love that pickup, too, but as my bridge PUP, especially when joined by a pair of middle and neck Dual Sounds with taps.
Aren’t Dual Sounds and Super Distortions essentially the same thing?
 #170781  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 am Aren’t Dual Sounds and Super Distortions essentially the same thing?
Sorry for the error; original post now corrected.
 #170782  by wpmartin1979

The SD is known to be a very dark pickup, which is why it works well in the bridge. The Super 2 was invented to balance the darkness of the SD (in a Gibson style guitar) by putting a brighter pickup in the neck position.
Jerry kinda broke the norm when he put a Super 2 in the bridge.
 #170783  by LazyLightning72

PLS30820 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:30 am I have an Eastwood wolf as well and was thinking about doing the exact same thing. I had been looking at the Super II's, but now think i'll go with the SD's. I might have missed the answer, but can you tell if the pots are 500k or not?
It will probably be another couple weeks before I buy them. If you switch yours out before I do, please post your thoughts on them.