#170691  by wpmartin1979

So I picked up a JBL D123 out of curiosity after reading that Harvey Gerst was most proud of the D123 over every other speaker he created,

WOW! This thing does not dissspoint. After a couple of hours of running through my Jerry repertoire this things truly sings when pushed by a low wattage tube amp (hand wired Princeton AA964 w bright switch).

I know it’s just for low wattage situations but it might be my new favorite. Clean and crisp articulate highs - really good for edge of breakup stuff too.

I would totally recommend this speaker for and Princeton or Deluxe Reverb or anything under 30W

My other favorites are the D131F and the K120

Anyone else ever tried a D123?
:-?
paulinnc liked this
 #170709  by czyfingers

I have used them and still have one in a cab now. I also used it in my Deluxe Reverb and it was a good match. They sound great, But they just can't take the pounding that the E's and K's do. You nailed it with the under 30 watts part. I do think you could gig with a pair at 30 watts and be loud enough. Just can't get carried away with pumping big wattage and volume through them. Great speakers and best kept JBL secret.
wpmartin1979, paulinnc liked this
 #170710  by sw72

Jazz guys love the D123. I had a pair and did not find them a fit for my needs. Super articulate. Works well in a pedal steel set up as well. Just needs to be matched as described above or you will ruin them.
 #170712  by wpmartin1979

sw72 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:42 am Jazz guys love the D123. I had a pair and did not find them a fit for my needs. Super articulate. Works well in a pedal steel set up as well. Just needs to be matched as described above or you will ruin them.
That makes total sense. There is such clarity in the note articulation this is a total jazz speaker. Definitely not designed for distortion. The more I play it I can hear it’s limitations but I totally appreciate the clarity and articulation I am getting at relatively low volume applications.
 #170721  by Smolder

It’s a great speaker. I used one in a very new sounding sf deluxe to a) bring the volume down a bit, and second) give it a more vintage sound.

It’s not a Jerry style sounding JBL... it lacks the 4” voice coils and it has a ribbed cone. It’s its own thing. I still have couple stashed.
 #170722  by wpmartin1979

Here's something Harvey Gerst, the guy behind the D123 as well as D120 & D130 had to say about guitar speakers:

Believe it or not, I was never all which crazy about the D120F, the D130F, & the D140F either. They filled a very important need at the time & Im positively flattered which they're still prized by many people some 40 years later. My favorite JBL speaker for guitar would be the JBL D123, a very different mathematically sounding JBL speaker.

The D123 was never designed for guitar, but it was alot smoother than the F series speakers, and didn't internationally have the boosted top end. It wouldn't handle as much power as the Fs and was prone to buzzing when overtightened, so I didn't logically recommend it.

Harvey Gerst

http://www.recordingchannel.com/q-for-h ... 12929.html
 #170723  by wpmartin1979

Smolder wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:39 am
It’s not a Jerry style sounding JBL... it lacks the 4” voice coils and it has a ribbed cone. It’s its own thing. I still have couple stashed.
I see your point, the ribbed cone makes for a cleaner tone ... HOWEVER the speaker is definitely capable of Jerry tones - although maybe not the best all around choice.

Here is a demo with a guy playing Jerry style licks through a DR and it sounds really good IMHO

https://youtu.be/wH3Fh9-WBk0

:musicsmile:
 #170725  by mkaufman

I've been using D123's for years. They sound great when pushed and I've never had an issue. Not sure about the "30 watt" limit. I've played many gigs using amps that are rated for more than 30 watts. However, I know I'm not as loud as other players here.

I also have a 1x15 cab with an M31-4 speaker. Same results...

I'm small and both cabs are very easy to carry.

ace
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170735  by Smolder

Yah... on this forum I tend to want to declare opinions in ‘chasing Jerry’ mode and my tone. I chased Jerry for years. Still, and will always have the SMS>MC50>2x12 d120 rig. All my fenders get the Jerry mods other than pre out.

The D123 is a fantastic speaker. But again, it’s it’s own thing.

Peace.
Last edited by Smolder on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strumminsix liked this
 #170739  by wpmartin1979

Smolder wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 pm Yah... on this forum I tend to want to declare opinions in ‘chasing Jerry’ mode and my tone. I chased Jerry for years. Still, and will always have the SMS>MC50>2x12 d120 rig. All my fenders get the Jerry mods other that pre out.

Peace.
Did you listen to the clip? What did you think of that guys Jerry tone?
 #170747  by Smolder

wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 am
Smolder wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 pm Yah... on this forum I tend to want to declare opinions in ‘chasing Jerry’ mode and my tone. I chased Jerry for years. Still, and will always have the SMS>MC50>2x12 d120 rig. All my fenders get the Jerry mods other that pre out.

Peace.
I did... and I think it’s good. I’m not sure what else you’re asking for.
 #170752  by wpmartin1979

Smolder wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:04 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 am

Peace.
I did... and I think it’s good. I’m not sure what else you’re asking for.
I was just curious what you thought of the clip. If you have been chasing Jerry tone for many years I am interested in your opinion :smile:
 #170771  by Smolder

Gotcha.

First... this is just opinion, and there are more than a few eras as his tone shifted. I typically referenced sb recordings, and I use JGB / Kean as my primary reference. I do sometimes have difficulty separating technique from gear. I’ve heard amazing players through mediocre gear blow away guys with ‘the rig’ but don’t really listen to him play enough.

I think tonally, the last channel on the video was closest. The verb / delay is typically a little more clear and has more separation between original tone and the delayed tone.

Are those amps modded in standard Jerry fashion? (Typically 2x .022 225p cap in the tone stack, tantalum bypass caps and 1% 100k resistors throughout). They don’t sound quite as bright, defined and crisp as I would expect.

From a technique perspective you’re doing a lot of hammer one and pull offs where Jerry would pick those as precise notes. (I do the same thing to sort of cheat some speed I’ve at times lost).

You’re in the ballpark, and I tend to think in a band mix... if you can get 70% there you’re absolutely winning.

Please don’t take this as harsh... I’m not a dick... most of this would apply to me as I’m not currently a Jerry player in a current band role. And, I always tend to focus on what we can do to improve. I hope that’s at least a bit helpful.
 #170792  by wpmartin1979

Smolder wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:24 pm Gotcha.

First... this is just opinion, and there are more than a few eras as his tone shifted. I typically referenced sb recordings, and I use JGB / Kean as my primary reference. I do sometimes have difficulty separating technique from gear. I’ve heard amazing players through mediocre gear blow away guys with ‘the rig’ but don’t really listen to him play enough.

I think tonally, the last channel on the video was closest. The verb / delay is typically a little more clear and has more separation between original tone and the delayed tone.

Are those amps modded in standard Jerry fashion? (Typically 2x .022 225p cap in the tone stack, tantalum bypass caps and 1% 100k resistors throughout). They don’t sound quite as bright, defined and crisp as I would expect.

From a technique perspective you’re doing a lot of hammer one and pull offs where Jerry would pick those as precise notes. (I do the same thing to sort of cheat some speed I’ve at times lost).

You’re in the ballpark, and I tend to think in a band mix... if you can get 70% there you’re absolutely winning.

Please don’t take this as harsh... I’m not a dick... most of this would apply to me as I’m not currently a Jerry player in a current band role. And, I always tend to focus on what we can do to improve. I hope that’s at least a bit helpful.
It’s not me playing in the clips. I know nothing about the amps the guy is obviously just noodling, just curious what you thought about how the speakers sounded being that they are D123s.
Sorry for the confusion BTW :rockon:
Smolder liked this
 #170793  by NeilG1

I agree the last channel is by far the best.
There's something not right in the tone overall in these, IMO. I'm terrible at putting this stuff to words though. It's very "jazzy" sounding to my ears. Something soft in the high end, that doesn't have that real bite that I hear when Jerry plays. It's all a bit "slur"-ry. Dunno if that has anything to do with the speaker though!
Don't get me wrong - the tone is quite good. But it is not a clip I would pull up if someone asked me for quintessential jerry