#170803  by caspersvapors

The DRRI + D123 in that clip sounds more like Jerrys tone from 93-95 when he was playing lightning bolt. Kind of brittle and piezo like. I dont think I would want to hear that every day
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170962  by aiq

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 am
Smolder wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:39 am
It’s not a Jerry style sounding JBL... it lacks the 4” voice coils and it has a ribbed cone. It’s its own thing. I still have couple stashed.
I see your point, the ribbed cone makes for a cleaner tone ... HOWEVER the speaker is definitely capable of Jerry tones - although maybe not the best all around choice.

Here is a demo with a guy playing Jerry style licks through a DR and it sounds really good IMHO

https://youtu.be/wH3Fh9-WBk0

:musicsmile:
I am that guy. Thanks for saying something nice. IMO my playing is pretty pedestrian in that clip and just for demoing the amps.

I have sold both of those amps after I found a 64 Deluxe Amp which now has the D123 in it.

I recently acquired a lawsuit era Howard Roberts copy, made at FujiGen in June 76, branded Speedfire. That amp with that speaker makes that guitar sound as sweet as candy.

Not a Jerry sound but I am not really looking for that anymore. Plenty of others chasing it.
 #170965  by Chocol8

caspersvapors wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:12 am The DRRI + D123 in that clip sounds more like Jerrys tone from 93-95 when he was playing lightning bolt. Kind of brittle and piezo like. I dont think I would want to hear that every day
That is also when he stopped playing the Twin Reverbs. Don’t think it was the guitar.
 #170966  by Jon S.

Interesting discussion. I had a HT-style cab loaded with a pair of Weber neo speakers ostensibly modeled after D120s. They did sound D120-like but with exactly the type of piezo-ish artifacts others are describing now. I couldn't make peace with the Webers because of it and sold them.
 #173472  by Neil Godbole

Love Love Love Love Love Love Love JBL D123's! I wish they had larger voicecoil spacing. After 2 years of playing them in my studio, they have started to develop a bit of rub - mostly only noticeable with gained up tones. They are by far my favorite speaker for clean and as long as you have some pre speaker output EQ options, you can compensate for the extended top end that isn't great for higher gain distortion.

I can nail almost every era of Jerry tone and beyond with it. It's got its own personality, but its way more detailed and almost gives me that acoustic like clarity to my playing (and hence requires better technique) than my D120F's.

I use a pretty standard Sarno SMS Classic JG -> McIntosh MC250 nested within a much larger rig, and its glorious in stereo and mono with 123's mounted in hybrid pine and baltic birch open back cabs.