#170394  by Jon S.

I am seeking recommendations from the RUKIND cognescenti on a potential new TTTides guitar order.

The basic model would be with a TB shape like the one pictured below and the wood sides would be white. My goal is to approximate (I realize a total replica is impossible but am not seeking that anyway) Jerry's TB, pictured 2nd below.

I am thinking to request the following:

• 3 pickups like in Jer's TB. I understand someone out there is currently making what are claimed to be accurate replicas but I can't ID who it is. Does anyone know?
  • A hardtail bridge like on the TB. What is the closest current stock part to this?
  • What should I request for the wood sides to my new TTTides (the aluminum neck is a through neck)? The standard sides the builder offers are made of high pressure wood composites but real wood upgrades are possible. For this type of guitar, tonewise, do you think real wood, and if so does the specific species of wood really matter? My initial thoughts are to specify any decent lightweight solid wood type.
  • Other than this, I would ask the luthier to build the guitar with dual output jacks, preferably wired up with an OBEL but if not, no worries, I'd just wire the OBEL up later myself.
  • I'd also request 3 on off minitoggles for the PUPs. Again, if a problem for the builder to wire them up as I prefer, I'd just have him install them and wire them up myself upon receipt.
  • I'd also request an on-board UGB (or at least ask for there to be sufficient room available for me to install one later).
  • Rosewood fretboard with dots.
Does this all seem reasonable? Am I missing anything important? All comments welcome even if what you tell me is I'm chasing after wind thinking I could get this new guitar truly sounding like Jer's TB (after all, this is a discussion forum). :biggrin:

Last edited by Jon S. on Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #170396  by Jon S.

Also, I got a positive response from Eastwood to my question about the neck pocket on their new ETB500:

Hello Jon,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We have reviewed your query regarding Eastwood ETB500 and have responded to your question. Please feel free to get in touch with us anytime.

Here are the details of your query:

Will the neck pocket utilize the standard Fender shape to allow optional the purchaser, if he wishes, to substitute an aftermarket aluminum neck?

Yes, this will have a standard FMIC neck pocket.

Cheers,
Eastwood Guitars
 #170418  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:18 pm I am seeking recommendations from the RUKIND cognescenti on a potential new TTTides guitar order.

[ For this type of guitar, tonewise, do you think real wood, and if so does the specific species of wood really matter?
I’m far from an expert but I would think that the choice in wood would be a very important factor - seeing that the whole point of the guitar is the subtlety of tone achieved from the materials of the build - the way that the wood interacts with the aluminum and the tonal vibrations thus created would be of the utmost critical importance :musicsmile:
 #170421  by Jon S.

You could be absolutely correct. I asked because I'm not sure.

On the TB and the TTTides guitars, the aluminum is through the body and the PUPs are attached to the aluminum directly. (At least I think they are on the TBs, too.) That leads me to wonder whether the wood sides really matter that much at all.

As an example of this build technique taken to the extreme, consider these two Gitlers. The first is rad and the second beyond even that! Supposedly, they sound great, too.

#170430  by NeilG1

There’s a great thread somewhere back there from the last couple years with Anthony Coscia and Brian White discussing this very question. The contribution of the “wings” to overall tone on a neck through guitar.
I don’t want to put words in either of their mouths, and am too lazy at the moment to go hunting. But I remember them both leaning toward the side of it not mattering much.
I do remember Brian feeling like the most complexity arose from a set neck build. But I would tend to agree that if all the vibrating elements are on the one piece of wood (or metal), that the “wings” wouldn’t matter much at all. Maybe unless they got really dense/heavy and restricted the vibration of the neck wood?
Anyway - see if you can dig it up. They are smart :)
wpmartin1979, Jon S. liked this
 #170444  by Jon S.

NeilG1 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:46 pm There’s a great thread somewhere back there from the last couple years with Anthony Coscia and Brian White discussing this very question. ...

- see if you can dig it up. They are smart :)
My search for both under "Author" came up empty. Are their user names different from their regular names?
 #170448  by 8-6-71 for me

or there's this:

https://reverb.com/item/38625764-1976-t ... GsQAvD_BwE

I have had three 500s, incl. a modern reissue from EGC. PM me if you want to discuss?

And fwiw, any Bean that I have had through a Twin w JBLs is a dead ringer for Spring 77. :biggrin:
Last edited by 8-6-71 for me on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #170449  by Jon S.

8-6-71 for me wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 pmany Bean that I have had through a Twin w JBLs is a dead ringer for Spring 77. I mean honest to god how much closer can any of us hope to be without standing inside Barton Hall? :biggrin:
Considering I was at the May 8, '77 Barton Hall show, that's a major endorsement!

8-6-71 for me liked this
 #170451  by 8-6-71 for me

Jon S. wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:56 pm
8-6-71 for me wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 pmany Bean that I have had through a Twin w JBLs is a dead ringer for Spring 77. I mean honest to god how much closer can any of us hope to be without standing inside Barton Hall? :biggrin:
Considering I was at the May 8, '77 Barton Hall show, that's a major endorsement!

If you were anywhere near the guy taping in the tenth row, maybe I heard you there! Pretty much have the Stevenson aud on repeat. Which incidentally, who knew that the official release patches the Minglewood opening from 4/25?! Need a good AUD to hear the original SICK Minglewood opening lick.
Last edited by 8-6-71 for me on Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon S. liked this
 #170452  by NeilG1

found it.
viewtopic.php?f=426&t=20140&start=15

not exactly as I remembered, but here's what brian said at least

#165783 by milobender
Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 pm
A set neck and a thru neck are vibrationally very different. I'm sorry Bob finds it hard to imagine, but a set neck is more complex in the way it resonates.

A typical neck thru = tuners, nut, pups, bridge and tail, all mounted right in the neck wood (the inserts for the bridge normally fall outside the edge of the neck, but the space between the insert and the neck wood is so small, it makes it a non-issue) The neck wood/woods are the resonant section, with decorative wings glued on each side, altering/attenuating the main vibration with whatever characteristics the side woods exhibit.

A typical set neck = tuners, nut mounted in neck material --- pickups, bridge, and tail mounted in separate body material. The neck woods resonate, transferring the vibration THRU the body material to the pickups, bridge, and tail, creating two distinct resonance zones. The different materials involved in the total resonance and the way the interact is completely different than the neck-thru and is by nature, more complex.

More complex usually translates to more musical.

so he does mention the wings altering the tone. Anthony didn't say as much - posted some likes etc
 #170453  by Jon S.

Thank you very much for finding and sharing the URL to the discussion.

I find myself in agreement especially with Bill:

#165787 by lbpesq
Fri May 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Jerry played set necks: Les Paul, Starfire, SG, Tiger, Rosebud
Jerry played neck-thrus: Wolf, Travis Bean
Jerry played bolt-ons: Alligator

They all sounded great and musical in his hands.

Bill, tgo