#170301  by TubaEric

As the title reads, I am looking for a couple of final parts on my alligator build.
The parts I need are:

1. Brass section of the pickgaurd
2. Brass tailpiece
3. piece of rosewood (i know i can get it on amazon or whatever but i figured i put it here incase anyone makes them with the exact dimensions)
4. Bar string tree
ALSO

My strat has a sunburst finish, i was also wondering if anyone has any knowledge on stripping (if you can even do that) a sunburst/ tobacco finish on a guitar. I want it to look like alligator too and i feel the first thing people would notice would be the sunburst finish i have on mine haha

anyways, thank you and any links to any of the parts ive listed would be great <3
 #170305  by wpmartin1979

TubaEric wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:45 pm As the title reads, I am looking for a couple of final parts on my alligator build.
The parts I need are:

1. Brass section of the pickgaurd
2. Brass tailpiece
3. piece of rosewood (i know i can get it on amazon or whatever but i figured i put it here incase anyone makes them with the exact dimensions)
4. Bar string tree
ALSO

My strat has a sunburst finish, i was also wondering if anyone has any knowledge on stripping (if you can even do that) a sunburst/ tobacco finish on a guitar. I want it to look like alligator too and i feel the first thing people would notice would be the sunburst finish i have on mine haha

anyways, thank you and any links to any of the parts ive listed would be great <3
You can strip the finish by heating it up with a high power heat gun - but it is messy and not very efficient - you may want to consider purchasing a Swamp Ash body from Someplace like Warmoth.
Also I DMd you a link to the brass parts :musicsmile:
 #170307  by lbpesq

The brass string tree is called a "Footman Loop". They are readily available, though I had to modify it slightly for my Alligator build. You can see it here:

https://reverb.com/item/37204718-jerry- ... 20-natural

As for stripping the finish, it's a crapshoot what it will look like underneath - it might even be a three piece body. And wp is correct about using a heat gun if it is a poly finish. Don't try to sand it off, it will make a mess. The Warmoth unfinished Swamp Ash Strat body is only $195. That's what I use.

Bill, tgo
 #170309  by TI4-1009

Usually they put a sunburst finish on the ugliest bodies- poor grain or pieced-together. You might not like what see under there...