#170289  by Jon S.

I never especially liked how the stock V1 tube sounded. Don't get me wrong, it was OK, but I'm shooting for blows me away. I keep a small stash of replacement preamp tubes on hand, both NOS and new build. After much experimenting, I went with an NOS Raytheon 5751 and upped the gain control correspondingly from 5 to 6. As always, of course, it's a personal decision and YMMV.

8-6-71 for me liked this
 #170290  by wpmartin1979

8-6-71 for me wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:25 pm Has anyone swapped out the tubes, and if so did it make a discernible difference?
Swapping with a NOS RCA, Raytheon or Tung Sol USA will always make a huge difference. I have been liking the long plates lately, but like Jon says, it’s just a matter of taste. You will hear a big difference though IMHO.
I don’t have an SMS JG but I swapped out the tubes in my other preamps (Shiftline, blackbird, blue tube) and made a huge difference.
8-6-71 for me liked this
 #170364  by NSP

8-6-71 for me wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:47 pm The RCA tubes blew me away. Now it sounds and feels like a Twin pre.

From brittle to brilliant. Thanks for the advice, guys.
Where did you source them?
strumminsix liked this
 #170538  by Smolder

Comparisons are hard for me. For an important fender (ish) amp, I just automatically dig through the pile and find the best RCA or GE preamp tubes and go.
wpmartin1979 liked this