#170229  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 am
wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:07 pm I just got one of these and it is absolutely killing it for Jerry tone.
I had a B.K. Butler Real Tube unit for decades. At one point, I replaced the stock 12AX7 with a 12AU7 and it entered Blue Tube territory. I sold it after acquiring my Fulltone Fulldrive 2.

Yeah the kind that you have pictured is pretty high gain. The Blue Tube surprised me. It does have a 12AX7 but keeps the gain to low medium territory with some grit. I picked it up for $120 and it is on par with the Blackbird and Beekeeper - it has a grittier more old school (slightly noisy) thing going on but it actually is a plus for the Jerry thing. I gotta have my tubes!!!
BK Butler was WAY ahead of the game in the 80s/90s - a genius really
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #170234  by ssmug

8-6-71 for me wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:23 am
(snip)
I have a Sarno Earth Drive and Solar Flare that I don't use if you/anyone else is interested. Everyone loves those it seems.
Check your PMs!
 #170235  by LazyLightning72

I was looking into attenuators a month or so back.

I watched a couple videos of the Bugera Power Soak PS1, one of which was vs the Rivera RockCrusher Power Attenuator. There is a big price difference, but the Bugera seemed a nice choice for less money.

I see the OD 1 and OD2r suggested often, as well as the Sarno Earth Drive.
All of which are readily available on Reverb, every time I’ve looked. Wish I could find a new one. I really hate to buy used gear, I know sometimes there just isn’t an option.

I have a lot to digest, thanks for all the help! Whatever I get it will be in the next week or 2. So any suggestion before then, are most welcomed.
 #170236  by wpmartin1979

LazyLightning72 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:10 pm I was looking into attenuators a month or so back.

I watched a couple videos of the Bugera Power Soak PS1, one of which was vs the Rivera RockCrusher Power Attenuator. There is a big price difference, but the Bugera seemed a nice choice for less money.

I see the OD 1 and OD2r suggested often, as well as the Sarno Earth Drive.
All of which are readily available on Reverb, every time I’ve looked. Wish I could find a new one. I really hate to buy used gear, I know sometimes there just isn’t an option.

I have a lot to digest, thanks for all the help! Whatever I get it will be in the next week or 2. So any suggestion before then, are most welcomed.
In terms of a new Earth Drive you can order one from Brad. In terms of a new Boss pedal you would have to get the OD200. The OD1 and OD2R are longtime discontinued.
 #170237  by LazyLightning72

Thanks for the tip about the Earth Drive.

I wonder if the OD200 is comparable to the discontinued ones?

I was listening to some Earth Drive demos while having a cigar earlier, it does produce some really good tones. I’m wondering if that may be the easier route to go, it’s not too big either.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170238  by Searing75

PurpleTrails wrote:
Searing75 wrote:
LazyLightning72 wrote:Thank you all for the helpful input/suggestions

As far as what I play, it’s nearly always Dead, I’d say 98% of my playing is Dead, with an emphasis on Jerry.

I’m not bashing the MXR Dist. +, it’s a nice pedal.

I’m going for those subtle and sometimes not so subtle “dirty” tones he was using on songs like:
Minglewood, Samson, Passenger, Miracle, Hell In A Bucket, and so on.
Well then, just get yourself an OD 1 and an OD2r and be done with it. It is what Jerry used, and they are awesome overdrives.
Lol, at some point he swapped out the OD-1 for an HM-2, if you can believe that, for those really gnarly 1989 or so Hell In a Bucket/Miracle, etc. Can't really believe he'd use a pedal that can be pretty bad sounding and associated mostly with metal, but it's documented in a few places. And yeah, that's obviously not an OD.
I don’t think he swapped out the OD-1 or the 2r for the HM-2 for very long, or that often. As far as I know the HM-2 made a rare appearance during a short period of time, and the OD-1 and 2r were back in use shortly after.
 #170239  by Jon S.

I know some folks here are really into nailing Jerry exactly. To those who are, please don't take my question amiss. And I'm always open to being corrected if my understandings are wrong.

Isn't the OD-1 (and yes, I know the chip varied over time) very close to a TubeScreamer? But the TubeScreamer won the "battle of the overdrive titans," leading Boss to then release the SD-1 to better compete directly with it?

I guess I'm not understanding what's considered so special about the OD-1 (other than it having been on Jerry's own board). Couldn't one get very close to it, if not nail it, with many other TubeScreamer variants?
 #170245  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 am I know some folks here are really into nailing Jerry exactly. To those who are, please don't take my question amiss. And I'm always open to being corrected if my understandings are wrong.

Isn't the OD-1 (and yes, I know the chip varied over time) very close to a TubeScreamer? But the TubeScreamer won the "battle of the overdrive titans," leading Boss to then release the SD-1 to better compete directly with it?

I guess I'm not understanding what's considered so special about the OD-1 (other than it having been on Jerry's own board). Couldn't one get very close to it, if not nail it, with many other TubeScreamer variants?
Your reasoning makes sense, especially considering your OD of choice (Fulltone Fulldrive) is essentially a pimped out more transparent tube screamer :musicsmile:
Jon S. liked this
 #170246  by LazyLightning72

I spent most of the night listening to demos of the Earth Drive, the OD-1 and the OD2R. I’m now leaning heavily towards the Earth Drive. I think it may compliment my existing Dist.+, if not I can always sell it and get something that will work better/different.

Just out of curiosity where in the loop should I put it?

Again, my current order is:
Korg Tuner, Qtron+, MXR Dist. +, MXR Carbon Copy Mini, Boss RC-1 Loop Station

I would think before the MXR, if I use them together, and if I take the MXR off, put the Earth Drive where is was in the loop. Or would it be better in another position?
 #170247  by August West

Between my Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian (fuzz) and my RYRA Klone (transparent drive) I can get most of the Jerry tones I’m looking for. Sets up gain staging fairly well for me, the Klone for light to mid pushed tones and the Russian when I need something gnarly for a solo.
 #170248  by wpmartin1979

LazyLightning72 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm I spent most of the night listening to demos of the Earth Drive, the OD-1 and the OD2R. I’m now leaning heavily towards the Earth Drive. I think it may compliment my existing Dist.+, if not I can always sell it and get something that will work better/different.

I would think before the MXR, if I use them together, and if I take the MXR off, put the Earth Drive where is was in the loop. Or would it be better in another position?
I would put it before the Distortion plus, use it for cleaner tones, then turn up the gain on the D+ and use it for the gnarlier tones.
Then, If you want to get super gnarly you could always boost the D+ with the Earth Drive.
 #170250  by PurpleTrails

wpmartin1979 wrote:
LazyLightning72 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm I spent most of the night listening to demos of the Earth Drive, the OD-1 and the OD2R. I’m now leaning heavily towards the Earth Drive. I think it may compliment my existing Dist.+, if not I can always sell it and get something that will work better/different.

I would put it before the Distortion plus, use it for cleaner tones, then turn up the gain on the D+ and use it for the gnarlier tones.
Then, If you want to get super gnarly you could always boost the D+ with the Earth Drive.
That would be my suggestion as well. Pretty much how I have my board set up, and I tried using the OCD after the Dist+ as well but it didn't work as well.
 #170258  by perljam

I’m going to 2nd the JHS Morning Glory or Double Barrel. They are amazing.

However the Keeley D&M drive does the same thing, slightly more Jerry. One side is an OCD which I use for distortion and the other is like a Klon for boost. Need to slam properly into a tube but very flexible and useful. The Klon side has a bit much mids at times but the OCD (left) side does great Miracle, etc.

Double Barrel doesn’t have the mid hump but doesn’t do the distortion tone as well without insane amounts of gain.
 #170262  by LazyLightning72

I’ll be placing the order for a new Earth Drive tonight, I may go ahead and grab one of those Bugera Power Soak units, to try and get some “natural” tube breakup as well, at lower decibels. They are only $100 so worst case, I don’t like it and sell it on reverb.

Again thanks everyone for the advice!
Have a great weekend

Edit*
I notice it says built to order on the SMS online store. Does anyone have any idea how long the wait is once you purchase an Earth Drive, new from them?