#170127  by Searing75

So, I have played many JBL’s, and many other similar speaker from other manufacturers, but I always came back to the K120 as my favorite. I built a Dumble clone amp from Trinity Amps recently, and was researching speaker options when I discovered the EV12L. I never knew about them. They looked intriguing, so I bought one and gave it a whirl. I am shocked by how similar it is to the K120, but feels even more robust in its strong, punchy tone. This speaker is definitely a good alternative to those looking for Jerry tones from the old JBL’s.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170129  by lbpesq

Yea, the 12L is a great speaker. It’s also about the heaviest speaker I’ve ever encountered. That’s one mother of a magnet on it!

Bill, tgo
 #170130  by Gr8fulCadi

Searing75 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:45 pm I built a Dumble clone amp from Trinity Amps
How was the build and quality of parts? Did you buy their cab, 1x12, head cab or......I built a MojoTone Super Reverb and the Trinity OSD looks very tempting!!

I have two EVM12L speakers that are the series II if I’m not mistaken. They are great speakers and definitely heavy. They take anything I throw at them and do it very well. I have e120’s and the orange frame K’s and while there are some similarities, the highs on the JBL’s are different or sweeter as I like to think.
 #170133  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:17 pm Yea, the 12L is a great speaker. It’s also about the heaviest speaker I’ve ever encountered. That’s one mother of a magnet on it!
No kidding! In the mid '90's, I sold my Fender Rivera-era Concert because it weighed more than a Twin. That was before I knew anything about amp mods and changes. I wish I had the amp back today to swap out its stock EV with a neo speaker!
 #170134  by strumminsix

Those 12Ls are one of the finer speakers out there. Size matters when it comes to clean. Big magnet in traditional speakers and big iron in transformers.
Jon S. wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:16 am
lbpesq wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:17 pm Yea, the 12L is a great speaker. It’s also about the heaviest speaker I’ve ever encountered. That’s one mother of a magnet on it!
No kidding! In the mid '90's, I sold my Fender Rivera-era Concert because it weighed more than a Twin. That was before I knew anything about amp mods and changes. I wish I had the amp back today to swap out its stock EV with a neo speaker!
Had a 2x10 Fender Rivera Concert with 2x10. Stock EV's. Popped in 2 Jensen Neos and couldn't get good sound. Tried by 2x12 with Weber Neos, couldn't get good sounds. That amp was voiced for those speakers.
 #170136  by Searing75

Gr8fulCadi wrote:[quote=Searing75 post_id=170127 time=<a href="tel:1614570323" data-original-title="" title="">1614570323</a> user_id=15315]
I built a Dumble clone amp from Trinity Amps
How was the build and quality of parts? Did you buy their cab, 1x12, head cab or......I built a MojoTone Super Reverb and the Trinity OSD looks very tempting!!

I have two EVM12L speakers that are the series II if I’m not mistaken. They are great speakers and definitely heavy. They take anything I throw at them and do it very well. I have e120’s and the orange frame K’s and while there are some similarities, the highs on the JBL’s are different or sweeter as I like to think.[/quote]

The Trinity was top notch. All high end parts. I got the Head cab, and it was built perfectly. The support was great, and the build was straight forward. If I do another kit in the future, it will be from Trinity.