#169737  by 8-6-71 for me

I have a complete Transcribe! file (all song divisions: verse, chorus. solo, etc w/ chords clearly marked) and a print friendly transcription of the solo. This is a great intro to Jerry's Spring '77 Berthas as it is short and sweet but has all the hallmark '77 vibe. In case you haven't seen this, the transcribe software is free for 30 day trial at seventh string. Maybe the best way to slow down, loop and learn to play anything note for note; just need audio file of the song. :musicsmile:

Any suggestions on best way to share this file?

[I probably have 75 songs in Transcribe! in this complete format in various stages of tab.]
 #169760  by 8-6-71 for me

PDF available on demand, just message me. I also have the 8/6/71 Bertha tabbed, which used to be the #1 Bertha on headyversion... but got surpassed by Veneta (also worthy).
 #169783  by rugger

I love Transcribe! and use it whenever I'm really digging in to learn something. Easily the best $50 I've spent towards my musical advancement. You can load videos as well. It's amazing how seemingly difficult passages start to unfold themselves as you slow them down.

Props to you for offering your transcriptions :rockon: , but folks should know that the real benefit lay in the journey, as I'd surmise you've surely found out.

Lads, put the work in! Do it yourself!

john in san diego
 #169789  by TI4-1009

Grumble grumble... but I want it HANDED to me!
Searing75 liked this
 #169803  by TI4-1009

franklins_timmy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 am Could anyone point me in the direction where to buy/download the Transcribe software? Is it fairly easy to use? Thanks
Goggle is your friend!

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html
 #169812  by franklins_timmy

TI4-1009 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 am
franklins_timmy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 am Could anyone point me in the direction where to buy/download the Transcribe software? Is it fairly easy to use? Thanks
Goggle is your friend!

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

Thanks for the link. I did google it & came up with the same site. Just thought the site looked a little generic & wanted to make sure I was looking at the right software.
 #169816  by 8-6-71 for me

The seventh string site is generic but the guy is a pro musician and pretty good programmer.

It's super easy to use. Would be groovy to get a user group together (here) to share tips. It's true, it is way more rewarding to tab it yourself, the song becomes part of you. And the muscle memory; you can play it in your sleep after the hundredth time through. But having someone peer review the transcripts would be nice.

And yes, importing video (YouTube or grateful guitar lessons etc) adds another dimension if you are a visual learner.

Finally... invest in the foot pedal to stop/start/pause/rewind. It is the pedal I use the most- lol :lol:
 #169936  by rugger

TI4-1009 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:07 pm Grumble grumble... but I want it HANDED to me!
Ha! Truth is, I look for shortcuts all the time! Sometimes it's just more efficient to see what others have come up with.

That being said, it's way more beneficial and satisfying firing up Transcribe! and figuring it out on my own. I cannot overstate how powerful it is to loop a section and control the playback speed when figuring out or learning to play pieces of music.

john in san diego
 #169937  by rugger

8-6-71 for me wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:15 pm The seventh string site is generic but the guy is a pro musician and pretty good programmer.

It's super easy to use. Would be groovy to get a user group together (here) to share tips. It's true, it is way more rewarding to tab it yourself, the song becomes part of you. And the muscle memory; you can play it in your sleep after the hundredth time through. But having someone peer review the transcripts would be nice.

And yes, importing video (YouTube or grateful guitar lessons etc) adds another dimension if you are a visual learner.

Finally... invest in the foot pedal to stop/start/pause/rewind. It is the pedal I use the most- lol :lol:
Which foot pedal do you use? I've considered going this route and using this approach (eons ago my wife had one attached to a tape recorder to transcribe interviews when she was studying linguistics). I've seen videos of guys whipping out transcriptions using this method. What I'll do, since I'm not super proficient, is to loop a bar (or half bar) at a time slowing the playback down to the point where I'm clearly hearing what's going on. Tab it out and then move on to the next bar.

john in san diego
 #169944  by 8-6-71 for me

rugger wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 am
8-6-71 for me wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:15 pm The seventh string site is generic but the guy is a pro musician and pretty good programmer.

Which foot pedal do you use? I've considered going this route and using this approach (eons ago my wife had one attached to a tape recorder to transcribe interviews when she was studying linguistics). I've seen videos of guys whipping out transcriptions using this method. What I'll do, since I'm not super proficient, is to loop a bar (or half bar) at a time slowing the playback down to the point where I'm clearly hearing what's going on. Tab it out and then move on to the next bar.

john in san diego
This foot pedal, standard three button-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008E ... UTF8&psc=1

Yes, precisely what I do- loop a bar (or half bar) at a time slowing the playback down to the point where I'm clearly hearing what's going on. Tab it out and then move on to the next bar.
rugger liked this
 #171197  by franklins_timmy

Would you mind explaining how you are loading/importing the YouTube videos? So far I have only been able to load audio files that are already on my computer. I've tried to drag YouTube videos into it, but it doesn't work for me. Thanks
 #171237  by 8-6-71 for me

franklins_timmy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:34 pm

Would you mind explaining how you are loading/importing the YouTube videos? So far I have only been able to load audio files that are already on my computer. I've tried to drag YouTube videos into it, but it doesn't work for me. Thanks
Sure- the video has to be on your desktop/drive. So first step would be to download the YouTube video using one of the dl programs available. When the video is on your computer as an MP4, all you have to do is open it with transcribe. On a Mac just right click the mp4 file and open with > Transcribe.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-to-downl ... ube-videos
franklins_timmy liked this
 #171238  by LazyLightning72

Thanks for posting this, and bringing awareness to those, like myself that had not heard of the software.

I have been trying to use Audacity on my laptop to make loops, etc… it’s very frustrating imho.

I may have to look into this program though, it seem like it’s exactly what I’m looking for