#169347  by cyrusj83

Hey guys. I have a BF twin reissue which is complete beauty but too loud for smaller shows and too heavy to lug around unless I definitely need the extra volume. So I bought a Peavey Bandit a couple months ago and I’m liking it.

I saw that Fender is making a SF Pro 1x12, bright switch, three-band eq, lighter still than my peavey.

Has anyone messed around with a 1x12 pro? It’s the only fender tube I can find with one speaker and a mid tone knob. Would I be able to get it to break up more easily? I can’t push the twin past 3 and I mic it anyway so when we have smaller gigs that second speaker confuses my ear bc I don’t know how loud I actually am, and of course a twin at 3 won’t break up.

Maybe in a few years I can do an FYD Mac and JBL but for now I’m still thinking combo.

Thanks!
 #169348  by Jon S.

You could pull two of your TR's tubes and adjust your speaker load and you'd essentially have yourself a Pro Reverb.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... duce-power
Searing75 liked this
 #169349  by tdcrjeff

Have they even been released yet? Listings on Reverb are all pre-order for a couple of months out.
 #169351  by cyrusj83

tdcrjeff wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:18 pm Have they even been released yet? Listings on Reverb are all pre-order for a couple of months out.
Nope I saw the same thing. All on pre-order.
 #169352  by cyrusj83

Jon S. wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm You could pull two of your TR's tubes and adjust your speaker load and you'd essentially have yourself a Pro Reverb.

Yeah I’ve seen that before or similar ideas. The thing is it’d reduce the weight of the twin by two tubes instead of by around 50% and this back of mine ain’t what it used to be.
 #169359  by TI4-1009

cyrusj83 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:48 pm
Jon S. wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm You could pull two of your TR's tubes and adjust your speaker load and you'd essentially have yourself a Pro Reverb.

Yeah I’ve seen that before or similar ideas. The thing is it’d reduce the weight of the twin by two tubes instead of by around 50% and this back of mine ain’t what it used to be.
And in the end that only buys you about a 3db drop. :|
 #169375  by Jon S.

TI4-1009 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 amAnd in the end that only buys you about a 3db drop. :|
FWIW, you might be scientifically correct - I'm no engineer - but I feel your statement deserves some conditioning.

The wattage the tubes are putting out, alone, are not dispositive, consider my Reverend Hellhound combo 1X12. This amp has a switch labeled on it, 60/40. I can assure you, despite Reverend's incorrect owners manual verbiage, the switch has nothing to do with changing the wattage. What it actually does is change the biasing of the power tubes. This makes the amp sound significantly softer and rounder without any significance different in wattage. And this difference is very strongly audible to me (and my tech).

Whether something similar in effect occurs when pulling the two tubes on a TR I can't say but my point is that the wattage alone isn't dispositive and if you search the 'net, the consensus seems to be that pulling two of a TR's power tubes and switching to one a speaker makes a material difference.

Reverend Hellhound
Electro-Harmonix 6L6EH
Vac = 120.8

"60W" power setting:

V+ = 475V
Vp = 473V
Vs = 459V
Vg = -52.0V
Ik = 31.0 mA (avg)
Po = 42W @ 8 ohms at onset of clipping
40W @ 4 ohms

"40W" power setting:

V+ = 477V
Vp = 475V
Vs = 462V
Vg = -52.0V
Ik = 26.4 mA (avg)
Po = 39W @ 8 ohms at onset of clipping
36W @ 4 ohms

Re: moving from a TR to a PR, the output transformer on the Pro is smaller than the one on the Twin which affects the tone. Most would describe the Pro as, overall, as sounding softer, darker, and less chimy with more give/sag relative to the harder, less give Twin tone, even when you pull two of the Twin's output tubes and play it through a single speaker. Without the tubes pulled, these factors will still exist AND the Twin should have yet greater effective headroom.

The Pro will also be, IIRC, around 16 lbs. lighter.
 #169402  by wpmartin1979

Best Twin Reverb like rig for a bad back IMHO:

Quilter 1X12 cab = super light
Shift Line Twin Preamp (pedal sized)
Seymour Duncan Power Stage Power Amp (pedal sized)

Less than 25lbs
Total around $1000
 #169404  by lbpesq

wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 am Best Twin Reverb like rig for a bad back IMHO:

Less than 25lbs
Total around $1000

Do you mean the Power Stage 170? I just checked it out on the Seymour Duncan site and it appears to be a combo amp in a pedal, including a preamp section. Also, for <$1000, I assume you are buying these all used and have the heavier Quilter cab, as opposed to the HD cab with the Celestion Neo?

Bill, tgo
 #169405  by cyrusj83

wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 am Best Twin Reverb like rig for a bad back IMHO:

Less than 25lbs
Total around $1000
Um holy shit I never knew power amps existed in pedal form.
 #169407  by wpmartin1979

lbpesq wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 am

Less than 25lbs
Total around $1000

Do you mean the Power Stage 170? I just checked it out on the Seymour Duncan site and it appears to be a combo amp in a pedal, including a preamp section. Also, for <$1000, I assume you are buying these all used and have the heavier Quilter cab, as opposed to the HD cab with the Celestion Neo?

Bill, tgo
It has a preamp but not for the purpose of using it as a preamp. It is used widely used primarily as a power amp and is the power amp of choice for those using AxeFX, etc. I’ve read a lot about it on The gear Page.

I would also recommend the Carvin Mach 100 as I love mine...but it would work better for a 2x12 setup as it doesn’t have a bridge option. Also, the Power stage 170 or 200 have more power.

I don’t have the Quilter Cab I’ve just read that it is supposed to be super light and is billed as such by Quilter.

Quilter HD empty Cab $400 + JBL speaker (already owned)
Shift Line MKII $250 used (what I paid)
Seymour Duncan Powerstage $300 used (lots on reverb)

Even if you got a new Shift Line you would be in the $1100 range, not bad!
Last edited by wpmartin1979 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #169408  by TI4-1009

Jon S. wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:14 pm
TI4-1009 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 amAnd in the end that only buys you about a 3db drop. :|
FWIW, you might be scientifically correct - I'm no engineer - but I feel your statement deserves some conditioning.

Jon- when I was restoring the Twin recently I was spending a lot of time over on the TDPRI Amp Tech Center board looking for help and getting advice. During my time there I went through a lot of threads about guys wanting to pull the two tubes and drop one speaker in their Twins to get usable at-home volume. The consensus of the experts there was "you can give it a try, I have, but don't expect the volume to drop in half- or even close. "

The way our ears process volume isn't linear, it's more like the taper on an audio pot. So dropping from 100 to 50 watts doesn't drop the volume anywhere near half (as I'm sure you know).

I still have the Twin in my shop, and as I'm building some pedals I'm using it to test them out. I have to put the Twin's volume at like 1.5 to get reasonable volume! :lol:
Jon S. liked this
 #169548  by cyrusj83

TI4-1009 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:09 am
Jon S. wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:14 pm

Jon- when I was restoring the Twin recently I was spending a lot of time over on the TDPRI Amp Tech Center board looking for help and getting advice. During my time there I went through a lot of threads about guys wanting to pull the two tubes and drop one speaker in their Twins to get usable at-home volume. The consensus of the experts there was "you can give it a try, I have, but don't expect the volume to drop in half- or even close. "

The way our ears process volume isn't linear, it's more like the taper on an audio pot. So dropping from 100 to 50 watts doesn't drop the volume anywhere near half (as I'm sure you know).

I still have the Twin in my shop, and as I'm building some pedals I'm using it to test them out. I have to put the Twin's volume at like 1.5 to get reasonable volume! :lol:
I love my twin so much! Yeah 1.5-2 sounds right for basic indoor noodling. Is that why Jerry had the power amp? To be able to put the twin vol at 4ish and control the output volume via the Mc?