#170057  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:38 am How's your Blackbird's output level compared to your FYD's? I returned the cheapie Joyo American Sound I'd bought because its output level was relatively anemic.

Re: it's ODS-based lead channel, Dumble tones, too, are like licorice. :wink:
The output level in the FYD is much higher than any other preamp I’ve tried. I think it’s because it has the knob on the back that allows you to adjust it, Dan said keep it around 7. But it doesn’t really matter because the Blackbird has plenty of output, I mean I don’t get the volume above 10 o clock on the clean channel, it’s plenty loud.
I’m not expecting anything to be as good as the FYD, just searching for something portable that’s is comparable.

In terms of the overdrive channel, I guess some people may not like it, but it’s so adjustable I can’t follow their reasoning. The drive knob basically adds the Dumble character, but if you keep it down you get the Mire Fendery OD. I mean like I said, I have it sounding exactly like the Earth Drive and I don’t hear complaints about the Earth Drive. In fact, I think the ED may be based on a Dumble like circuit as the drive knobs behaves almost exactly the same as on the Blackbird.
Last edited by wpmartin1979 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #170058  by wpmartin1979

Another thing is that the drive channel has a classic/creamy switch. If you keep it on classic, which I do, you really don’t get the overly compressed tone at all. Also, I keep the treble cranked up (same as I do with the Earth Drive) and the mids a little boosted. It sounds like perfect edge of breakup late 70s Jerry like the MXR hitting the Twin at high volume.
Just my opinion though. I mean like I said you can also just clean boost and slightly compress the clean channel and get basically a great Jerry tone as well without even using the OD channel, but the OD channel just gives you a second option for more tonality.
 #170061  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 amThe output level in the FYD is much higher than any other preamp I’ve tried. I think it’s because it has the knob on the back that allows you to adjust it, Dan said keep it around 7.
I want to thank you for this comment.

It's embarrasing but sometimes we operate too long on automatic pilot. In this case, when I read your comment, I realized that I hadn't so much as touched my FYD's rear pad control probably since I bought it years ago.

So, an hour or so ago, I reached back, fiddled with it, and realized I'd had it all this time just short of dimed. I backed it off a significant amount further (i.e., padded the output signal more), made up the difference by upping the volume on my MC50 correspondingly higher, plugged in, and it REALLY sounded fine!

I then fiddled also with the volume and mid controls. After some further experimentation, I left the mid control where it had been all along (on 5) but upped the volume from 5 to 6.

The tonal improvements as a whole are sweet. In particular, I'm loving the more prominent harmonic overtones I'm hearing now as my lead notes decay.

Thanks again for prompting me on this. :musicsmile:
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170076  by wpmartin1979

I'm going to try and share this link and see how it works. I can't figure out how to embed the sound clip in the post. Anyone know how to do this?

Anyway, for those who are curious, here are the kinds of tones I am getting from the Blackbird's drive channel. Please excuse the sloppy playing, it's not arranged, just jamming - just trying to demonstrate tone.

This is just the Blackbird, Lexicon Reverb and MosValve into JBL D120 recorded into Garage Band

https://soundcloud.com/user-939773662/b ... mloP5kyoTE
 #170077  by Jon S.

Nice tone! It has what I'd call a piezo-ish quality to it, the kind of sound I get also from my JBL D120 that I don't get from either my K120 or E120. Not everyone prefers that tonality but for those who do, you're getting it. But folks should know that's probably more the speaker choice than the Blackbird per se.

And you suck, BTW. Why? Because now you have me wanting a Blackbird, too! :lol: :musicsmile: :rockon:
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170079  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 pm I'm going to try and share this link and see how it works. I can't figure out how to embed the sound clip in the post. Anyone know how to do this?

Anyway, for those who are curious, here are the kinds of tones I am getting from the Blackbird's drive channel. Please excuse the sloppy playing, it's not arranged, just jamming - just trying to demonstrate tone.

This is just the Blackbird, Lexicon Reverb and MosValve into JBL D120 recorded into Garage Band

Very nice tone and playing. And good recording too!! I'll say this, I'm a huge fan of the tone you accomplished. But, classic JG tone has a lot more bite and edge to it. HOWEVER, this isn't denigrating your tone just an observation as this is in the JG sub-forum. I think your tone would sit into a standard band mix nicely. But add in heavy keys, second drummer, lead bass, and you might be cracking that treble knob :)
 #170080  by wpmartin1979

strumminsix wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:42 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 pm I'm going to try and share this link and see how it works. I can't figure out how to embed the sound clip in the post. Anyone know how to do this?

Very nice tone and playing. And good recording too!! I'll say this, I'm a huge fan of the tone you accomplished. But, classic JG tone has a lot more bite and edge to it. HOWEVER, this isn't denigrating your tone just an observation as this is in the JG sub-forum. I think your tone would sit into a standard band mix nicely. But add in heavy keys, second drummer, lead bass, and you might be cracking that treble knob :)
Thanks and yes I agree, I actually think the MXR into the Shift Line nails it better, but it’s been killer in my ears with all the treble.

There’s just something that’s been drawing me to this Blackbird tone, and the feel of the OD is so good under the fingers. It should be able to dial in some dirtier tones so I’ll work on it and put a different tune upon the near future to try and show the range.

But like I said, MXR > Shiftline really gets the 70s Jerry thing, just a bit harsh on the ears IMHO. :musicsmile:
strumminsix liked this
 #170081  by wpmartin1979

The other thing to keep in mind is that harsher tone had a lot to do with playing live and the dynamics of all that, but on the studio records Jerry’s tone is often smoother and thicker. Shakedown Street, Mars Hotel and Blues For Allah all have pretty smooth lead tones on them.
 #170082  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:44 pm Nice tone! It has what I'd call a piezo-ish quality to it, the kind of sound I get also from my JBL D120 that I don't get from either my K120 or E120. Not everyone prefers that tonality but for those who do, you're getting it. But folks should know that's probably more the speaker choice than the Blackbird per se.

And you suck, BTW. Why? Because now you have me wanting a Blackbird, too! :lol: :musicsmile: :rockon:
I just picked up the D120 a little while ago. I wasn’t using the E120 very much because I don’t use that much power and really was liking the K120. Now I’m really digging the D120 and I like how it blends with the K when paired together. The Alnico magnets are just a bit better for lower volumes. I actually had both the K and D going with the MosValve but only had the mic on the D for the recording.
 #170088  by wpmartin1979

Okay, I thought about Nick's comments and thought that the Blackbird could do a better job at Jerry than I showed in the last recording.
So I cranked up the Treble all the way, turned up the gain a bit and put my ear plugs in.

Here is the same setup otherwise, its just the Carvin DC145, Blackbird, Lexicon Reverb, MosValve, JBL D120 recorded with a Sure sm57

For this one I played an actual arrangement. I transcribed Jerry's solo from 4-12-78 Bertha a while back, so here it goes;

https://soundcloud.com/user-939773662/b ... BV6bo6KBQa

Not saying this is perfect by any means, but better?
Your thoughts?
As a side note, I could easily get more high end by turning up the presence knob on the MosValve, it’s set relatively moderate at 11o clock - but with a band setting you could crank that and get even more cut.
Last edited by wpmartin1979 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #170092  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 am Okay, I thought about Nick's comments and thought that the Blackbird could do a better job at Jerry than I showed in the last recording.
So I cranked up the Treble all the way, turned up the gain a bit and put my ear plugs in.

Here is the same setup otherwise, its just the Carvin DC145, Blackbird, Lexicon Reverb, MosValve, JBL D120 recorded with a Sure M771

For this one I played an actual arrangement. I transcribed Jerry's solo from 4-12-78 Bertha a while back, so here it goes;

Your thoughts?
As a side note, I could easily get more high end by turning up the presence knob on the MosValve, it’s set relatively moderate at 11o clock - but with a band setting you could crank that and get even more cut.
Firstly, I should note, that I'm not a huge fan of Jerry's isolated tone. But it is MAGIC in the band setting. And liked what you did above.

And this tone captures more of that biting edge with harshness. Well done! Here's a nice comparison: https://youtu.be/qDHiqby0Zjk?t=210
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170094  by wpmartin1979

strumminsix wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:22 am
wpmartin1979 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 am Okay, I thought about Nick's comments and thought that the Blackbird could do a better job at Jerry than I showed in the last recording.

Here is the same setup otherwise, its just the Carvin DC145, Blackbird, Lexicon Reverb, MosValve, JBL D120 recorded with a Sure M771

Your thoughts?
Firstly, I should note, that I'm not a huge fan of Jerry's isolated tone. But it is MAGIC in the band setting. And liked what you did above.

And this tone captures more of that biting edge with harshness. Well done! Here's a nice comparison: https://youtu.be/qDHiqby0Zjk?t=210
Such great playing and tone from Jerry on that!
That’s -72, I bet if I played my Strat with blaster through the Blackbird it would sound more like that, the Strat has a thinner higher tone than the Dimarzios
strumminsix liked this