#169854  by lbpesq

Eric is a trip. I spoke with him quite a bit when he was making, and later modifying, my amp. Not only about amps, but a bunch of subjects. Very smart and original guy. IIRC, he lives in your neck of the woods. So how did you like his SS amps?

Bill, tgo
 #169859  by Gr8fulCadi

lbpesq wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:31 pm Yeah, I've been hearing these and similar statements for years. Used to make them myself. Until I got the Pritchard. SS has come a LONG way from my first SS amp, a Heathkit TA-16 that I built myself in 1968. If you ever find yourself in Northern California after the Pandemic, come on by. I'll hook you up with the Pritchard and blow your mind. You won't be the first.

Bill, tgo
I’ll check out the Pritchard.

I’ve built my own Super Reverb and 5e3p Proluxe and I service my own amps. I’m comfortable with tubes and the way they interact with my guitar playing. I’ve played the ToneMaster Twin and it’s awesome.....but I wouldn’t trade my SF Twin for it. Everyone has their own likes and mine happens to be tubes all the way and you’d have to pry all my tubes amps from my hands :biggrin:
wpmartin1979, Jon S. liked this
 #169860  by lbpesq

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:06 pm you’d have to pry all my tubes amps from my hands

I used to feel that way about my 1960s BF Pro Reverb loaded with JBI D120s. Eventually, the weight of the amp itself pried it from my hands. After unloading the studio, loading the car, unloading the car, loading the gig, playing all night, I just didn’t want to face unloading the gig, loading the car, unloading the car, loading the studio, and putting it all back together again. Now the only tubes I’m hauling are in my Alembic F-2B matched with a SS Carvin DCM 200L, which weighs at least 50 lbs. less than the Pro Reverb. And my Quilters and Pritchard weigh even less. The older I get, the less I’m willing to trade inconvenience for a rather small difference in sound that no one else in the band or the audience hears anyway.

Now if I had roadies to do it for me ....

Bill, tgo
 #169863  by wpmartin1979

But you still have to carry the speakers and cabs, that’s the heaviest part. It’s not like the tubes weigh a lot. I mean the Effectrode Blackbird is pedal sized in weighs less than 3 lbs. that’s the genius of it - a tube amp that weighs next to nothing!
I mean yes, the Valeton can fit in your pocket, so technically that’s easier because you have both hands free to carry the cab, but ....
I digress
Last edited by wpmartin1979 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #169864  by Gr8fulCadi

Yeah it’s really not that bad actually. The head cab on the twin is not that heavy. That and a 1x12 and boom!! Ready to rock n roll!! Hey everyone is different and I respect!!

Now... all this talk about tubes, I’m gonna warm em up jam a bit!!
 #169868  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:29 pm Eric is a trip. I spoke with him quite a bit when he was making, and later modifying, my amp. Not only about amps, but a bunch of subjects. Very smart and original guy. IIRC, he lives in your neck of the woods. So how did you like his SS amps?

Bill, tgo
Yes, Eric does live generally in my neck of the woods. Enough so, at least, that for music-related events in the DMV (District-MD-VA), we'd bump into each other irregularly.

I liked his SS amps but I never bought one. The ones I tried were heavy in weight - nothing like today's Quilters, for example - and expensive (today, thankfully, I could afford one readily; but not in decades past). Many were certaintly versatile, however. My recollection is I liked the "harder" overdriven tones the best but, to be fair, it's been a while.

In particular, I'd like another chance to play one of his PRS Harmonic Generator amps and compare it to some of the newer, other SS and digital options. I put a couple through their paces a long time ago at Chuck Levin's Music in MD (AKA Washington Music Center) and my memories of that experience are especially hazy now.
 #169869  by strumminsix

Gear, weight, gig volume, etc...

Why my road in this thread is for IEM support. Want to be nicely represented in the mix? Get good monitoring? Not get tinnitus?
 #169870  by Jon S.

Here's an old article by Eric Pritchard that fans of his are sure to enjoy.

https://www.musicgearreview.com/article ... /3589.html

And check out this SS amp shootout that Pritchard won:

https://guitarshootout.com/solid-state- ... h-is-best/
 #169872  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:59 am I liked his SS amps but I never bought one. The ones I tried were heavy in weight - nothing like today's Quilters, for example - and expensive (today, thankfully, I could afford one readily; but not in decades past).

When I got my Pritchard I replaced the stock speaker with a Jensen Neo. It reduced the weight considerably and sounded better. Win win. IIRC, with the Jensen the weight is around 30 lbs. i haven’t played the Pritchard in a while. I tend to go through phases and also really wanted some tie dye cabs for my GD band. This discussion has inspired me to pull out the Pritchard and start messing around with it again. It really is incredibly versatile. Mine has the 5” speakers as well as the 12” Jensen. In the “acoustic” setting, it works fine as an acoustic amp - far superior to playing your acoustic (or piezo equipped electric) through a Fender.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #169898  by wpmartin1979

strumminsix wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:52 pm Imma add an oddity to the mix...
https://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-cab-m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Pzb3eDVuY

74 bassman preamp, full control of tonestack, world renowned IR support, poweramp, reverb, etc, etc.. if anyone was looking to dig in deep, this could be awesome.
This is a revered piece of gear by many on The Gear Page. Supposed to be the best for IR, etc.
 #169899  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:52 am

74 bassman preamp, full control of tonestack, world renowned IR support, poweramp, reverb, etc, etc.. if anyone was looking to dig in deep, this could be awesome.
This is a revered piece of gear by many on The Gear Page. Supposed to be the best for IR, etc.
I'm just looking at it... single piece of gear. has your preamp, poweramp, IR, and reverb. all from Two-Notes who has some of the best in modelling.

take the 74 bassman, not ideal, but same family
add the Silver77: Inspired by Fender Twin Reverb® 2×12 with orange JBL speakers (D120F)
Pentode
Class AB
KT88
Studio reverb

Bet it'd be ballpark in minutes.
 #169901  by wpmartin1979

strumminsix wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 am

I'm just looking at it... single piece of gear. has your preamp, poweramp, IR, and reverb. all from Two-Notes who has some of the best in modelling.

add the Silver77: Inspired by Fender Twin Reverb® 2×12 with orange JBL speakers (D120F)
Pentode
Class AB
KT88
Studio reverb

A lot of people on the Gear page actually pair it with the Shift Line or the Ethos Clean. This may have been an older version though ... not sure but I saw it pop up a lot when I was researching the Shiftline.
 #169902  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:53 am
strumminsix wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 am

Pentode
Class AB
KT88
Studio reverb

A lot of people on the Gear page actually pair it with the Shift Line or the Ethos Clean. This may have been an older version though ... not sure but I saw it pop up a lot when I was researching the Shiftline.
They do indeed. But that's cuz the older version didn't have the bassman preamp :)
 #169903  by Jon S.

I'm confused about the Torpedo unit. It doesn't include an on-board POWER amp, does it? I mean a true power amp, not models of ones. But if it does, how many watts does it put out?