#168913  by perljam

I have a 100W "The Amp" and I can't say enough good things about it. Endless clean Fender, edge of breakup headroom, and it fits on my pedalboard. Combined with my Gauss or Tone Tubby, it's got an amazing Garcia tone.

There must have been something funny with the tube in your unit (previous owner dropped?) because I'm hitting it with a Stratoblaster and tons of boost, and it behaves perfectly.

I've gotten great customer service from Milkman. I think he was trying to tell you that you that the previous owner must have fucked it up, but it sounds like he didn't do a great job. He's got a small shop and I'm sure the Covid thing sucks. I agree, though, that most boutique shops treat new and used equipment inquiries the same, and that is why I love working with them.

For the rest of you looking to lighten your load, I highly recommend this unit.
 #168914  by lbpesq

Reading about it, it appears The Amp is 50 watts into 8 ohms, 100 watts into 4 ohms. Interesting looking unit. Sort of a boutique version of Quilter's InterBlock 45, or the Vox MV50.

Bill, tgo
 #168916  by somedirection

Reading about it, it appears The Amp is 50 watts into 8 ohms, 100 watts into 4 ohms.
There are 2 versions of Milkman the Amp. The original (still sold) is 50 watts into 8 ohms and has onboard reverb and tremelo. There is now also a newer version that is 100 watts into 8 ohms. The new version drops the tremolo but adds a reverb decay dial (original version has some internal trimpot capability for reverb) and a boost function.
Code: Select all
I have a 100W "The Amp" and I can't say enough good things about it. Endless clean Fender, edge of breakup headroom, and it fits on my pedalboard. 
+1. I've only been using my 100W Milkman The Amp for a home recording project for a non-Dead band, but it really made it super simple to get and record a great classic Fender strat sound. I haven't tried it yet for a Jerry-rig, live band thing, but I bought it with that in mind. (D'Allen VooDoo 69s/Blaster Strat->The Amp->Focusrite->Garageband....some delay on one of the songs)

Here is a page of videos of the remote band project I used The Amp on (these are co-workers I've never played live with before but it came out pretty well). Enjoy:

https://the56group.com/crm-playaz/byob- ... x-pistols/

If you like the videos, please vote for them as this is part of a corporate battle of bands thing that the band is part of. You can vote here:
https://the56group.com/crm-playaz/byob- ... ing-place/
 #168917  by wpmartin1979

perljam wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:16 pm I have a 100W "The Amp" and I can't say enough good things about it. Endless clean Fender, edge of breakup headroom, and it fits on my pedalboard. Combined with my Gauss or Tone Tubby, it's got an amazing Garcia tone.

There must have been something funny with the tube in your unit (previous owner dropped?) because I'm hitting it with a Stratoblaster and tons of boost, and it behaves perfectly.

I've gotten great customer service from Milkman. I think he was trying to tell you that you that the previous owner must have fucked it up, but it sounds like he didn't do a great job.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that The Amp puts out great sounding clean tones.
Yeah, the one I bought was either messed up or I am idiot and couldn’t dial it in properly with my setup.
 #168918  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 pm
lbpesq wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:34 am
Wow, that's high praise! So you do feel the Quilter has enough of that sweet high end to work for Jerry tone? I've heard mixed things in that regard from fellow D'heads. Some say definitely and some say no. I wonder if the differences in opinion may come down to earlier-in-the-signal-chain differences like, say, the guy with 250K pots says no and the guy with the 500K pots says yes.
Hey Jon, what about running a fyd trp through the fax loop of the quilter effectively bypassing the eq and just using it as a power amp?
Do you think this would sound good?
 #168919  by Jon S.

I don't know how it would sound because I haven't tried it (I did buy a pair of Quilter combos a while back but returned them both - not close enough for me, and this is no comment on anyone else whose mileage varies).

This being said, it seems to me it defeats the purpose of having a tiny, very lightweight, all SS unit to use just its power amp. I'd prefer (as I use myself) an also relatively small and lightweight (20 lbs.) MC50 or (as I also use) 4.5 lb. Carvin DCM200L. But again, YMMV.

Curious what Bill will recommend?!

P.S. Not sure what went wrong in your post but you put my words in Bill's mouth (he's a good man, don't torture him that way! :lol: ).
 #168920  by lbpesq

Yea, It seems like defeating the purpose to use only the power amp section of the Quilter. On the other hand, I’ve been experimenting with putting a Pigtronix Disnortion Micro and a Sarno Earth Drive in the effects loop of the 101 Reverb using a GigRig Remote Loopy 2 that allows me to turn each on/off independently, thus bypassing the Quilter pre-amp for my lead tones. So far I like it.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #168923  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:27 pm
I'd prefer (as I use myself) an also relatively small and lightweight (20 lbs.) MC50 or (as I also use) 4.5 lb. Carvin DCM200L. But again, YMMV.

Curious what Bill will recommend?!

I guess what I was getting at is that I could just use the Quilter as a power amp because I already have it, therefore wouldn’t need to buy a new power amp. Can you tell me what it is about the Carvin DCM 200l that makes it sound good? What about other Carvin Power Amps? Are they made the same way, just different wattage? Anyone know the difference between DCM and HT? What does DCM stand for and what makes those amps work well for Jerry tone? What is a reasonable price for a DCM 150 or 200l? Would a HT150 work?
 #168925  by Jon S.

I'm a huge fan of starting with what you already own so by all means give the preamp into your Quilter a go.

Re: understanding the DCM200L (and other gear), one place to start is by perusing the owner's manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/59311 ... m200l.html).

I lack direct experience with any other Carvin power amps. This being said, the DCM was specifically intended for (among other things) guitar amplification.* Also, the DCM200L is discontinued so if you did want one it would have to be used.

* From the manual: "6. EQ EXPAND SWITCH When set to the 'in' position this circuit will cut the mids by -4dB at1KHz. This works well as a loudness contour when operating at low volume levels or adds tone when using it in a bass or guitar rack. When set to the 'out' position it provides a flat, normal response. Try it both ways and set as desired." JON'S NOTE: I do NOT use the EQ Expand Switch. For Jerry tone, I much prefer not using it. I also own a McIntosh MC50. To my ears, the Carvin unit is significantly closer in tone to the MC50 with the contour switch NOT engaged.

And FWIW (myself, I don't find this video especially helpful but perhaps it will assist you):

#168926  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:57 pm Re: understanding the DCM200L (and other gear), one place to start is by perusing the owner's manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/59311 ... m200l.html).
Yeah I did read the manual but it just is an operating manual with basic instructions. Also all the Carvin manuals are all exactly the same, it seems they just reprint them with small changes depending on the amp (exact same pics, diagrams etc.)
You mentioned that DCM amps were made for guitar, but there are 2500 watt DCM amps. Isn’t that more for like PA applications. Seems way too loud to be used for guitar (also none of them that are for sale are described as guitar amps). I guess I’m just confused as to why any solid state power amp wouldn’t work exactly the same and what makes the Carvins so special. There may be a highly technical answer needed here that only a techie could answer, lol.
 #168928  by Jon S.

Did you read the part about the contour ("Expand") switch?
 #168929  by lbpesq

“I guess I’m just confused as to why any solid state power amp wouldn’t work exactly the same and what makes the Carvins so special. There may be a highly technical answer needed here that only a technical answer needed here that only a techie could answer”

What makes the DCM200L so special? Nothing really “ highly technical.” Simply this:

1. It only weighs 4 lbs.
2. It lives in a single rack space
3. I sounds damn good paired with a good pre-amp.

I use mine with an Alembic F-2B stereo pre-amp. Since the F-2B is stereo, I plug into channel one, then use the old Fender trick of “jumpering” to connect the second channel one input to the channel two input. Then out in stereo to the Carvin and each channel to a separate 1x12 loaded with JBL K-120s. I tweak one channel to accentuate the highs, and the second channel for the lows. Then I can adjust each relative to the other.

I used to have a larger, far more powerful Carvin for P.A. Never thought about using it for guitar (at the time I was using a Mesa 50/50 power amp). I imagine one could use a high powered PA amp for guitar if you really wanted to, but, IMHO, it would be overkill.

Bill, tgo
 #168935  by wpmartin1979

lbpesq wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:21 am What makes the DCM200L so special? Nothing really “ highly technical.” Simply this:

1. It only weighs 4 lbs.
2. It lives in a single rack space
3. I sounds damn good paired with a good pre-amp.

I use mine with an Alembic F-2B stereo pre-amp. Since the F-2B is stereo, I plug into channel one, then use the old Fender trick of “jumpering” to connect the second channel one input to the channel two input. Then out in stereo to the Carvin and each channel to a separate 1x12 loaded with JBL K-120s. I tweak one channel to accentuate the highs, and the second channel for the lows. Then I can adjust each relative to the other.
Bill, tgo
Bill sounds like you have a pretty sweet set up. Also sounds like you are saying any power amp will work fine as long as it is convenient and sounds good.
BTW - the Quilter Mini 101 Reverb arrived today and I couldn’t be happier with it. To my ears it sounds great and is working well at any volume. I also like every how I can plug in both my K120 and my E120, which I couldn’t do with my Superchamp head.
Clean Fender tones for sure from this little guy. The Reverb sounds fine, but I put my BOING! By J Rocket Archer (which is an Acutronics spring tank clone) In the Fx loop and the two together sounds perfect! It really adds that high end sparkle to the lead notes. Never had a Twin Reverb to compare it too but definitely happy with this for now!!! Can’t stop jamming !