#169036  by lbpesq
 Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 am
wpmartin1979 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:00 am
Bill where did you get the Raytheon knobs? I have found h to see to be very pricey ... like to the point where for three knobs would cost $50-$100.
Also quality brass nut usually $20-$30 minimum.
I saw your Alligator and it was a stunning work of art on another level of attention to detail and quality.
Are you willing to give up your sources? Lol

The knobs are model # MS91528-1F2B. If you do a search on line, you will find several sources, though the prices are all over the place. I don’t recall which vendor I just used, the info is on my computer at work, but I got two sets (6 knobs) for about $45 including shipping. The scalloped brass nut is about $20 with shipping off of eBay. I am now making my own brass channel bridge. That’s perhaps the hardest to find and most expensive part for an Alligator. I am also making a brass sustain block, like was in the final version of Alligator. None of the used brass channel bridges I’ve seen for sale have included the brass sustain block. I may make an extra or two and put them up for sale on my reverb store: “420 Guitars”.

Bill
 #169037  by wpmartin1979
 Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:34 pm
lbpesq wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 am
wpmartin1979 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:00 am
Bill where did you get the Raytheon knobs? I have found h to see to be very pricey ... like to the point where for three knobs would cost $50-$100.
Also quality brass nut usually $20-$30 minimum.
I saw your Alligator and it was a stunning work of art on another level of attention to detail and quality.
Are you willing to give up your sources? Lol

The knobs are model # MS91528-1F2B. If you do a search on line, you will find several sources, though the prices are all over the place. I don’t recall which vendor I just used, the info is on my computer at work, but I got two sets (6 knobs) for about $45 including shipping. The scalloped brass nut is about $20 with shipping off of eBay. I am now making my own brass channel bridge. That’s perhaps the hardest to find and most expensive part for an Alligator. I am also making a brass sustain block, like was in the final version of Alligator. None of the used brass channel bridges I’ve seen for sale have included the brass sustain block. I may make an extra or two and put them up for sale on my reverb store: “420 Guitars”.

Bill
Thanks for the info! So those knobs work on standard size CTS pits (just double checking)? You’re right about prices ($65ea - $15). From what I’ve seen your craftsmanship is great and its a great idea to make custom parts for Jerry builds. The other piece that would probably sell a lot is the brass pick guard piece (or even completed 2 piece Alligator pick guards) as those can be hard to make and come by.
Can you talk about your process for finishing the body? Do you use tung oil and automobile polish for a satin finish, or another method?
 #169039  by lbpesq
 Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:20 pm
While I love Tung Oil and use it to finish most of my builds, on the Alligator I was trying to stay as close to original as possible, so I used rattle-can nitro. After filling the grain and sanding, I first did a coat of vintage amber as the unfinished body was just too white. The coat of amber made it a little too yellow. A little bit of sanding got the color just right. From there is was multiple coats of clear nitro. It probably took me a month to complete the finish.

Bill, tgo
wpmartin1979 liked this