#168198  by TI4-1009

Earplugs for a nice anniversary present maybe? :-)

One reason I bought the Ampeg SVT Micro bass head for my bass rig was because it has a headphone out. For late night playing I don't have to worry about keeping anyone up. Yeah, it's not exactly the same as "the daytime Jerry rig", but it lets you play late without guilt. For practice and noodling you don't have to have the real deal.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #168200  by LazyLightning72

Last night after she went to bed, I went in and played at the cap we determined earlier, about 3.5.

I honestly didn’t even think to try turning it up a little, because it was sounding really good at that volume.

Today, when I talked to her at work, she asked did you play last night? She also said she kept waiting for me to start, and she thought I ended up doing something else instead. So it appears there will not be an issue, I had it up to 7 a little while ago, man can it sing.

I’m also still highly impressed with how much better my pedals sound through it.
 #168210  by TI4-1009

Nothing beats the look of a Fender blackface.

Except maybe a Vox AC30. 8)
 #168214  by LazyLightning72

TI4-1009 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 pm Nothing beats the look of a Fender blackface.

Except maybe a Vox AC30. 8)
One thing does, plugging into it and playing. (~)}:}

I meant to make note of the guitar in the background. It’s. 2013 ‘60s Classic Vibe Squire Strat, that I hope to turn into a “Alligator” project this winter. I. Going to try and do all the work myself, since I’ve never done it before.

Sorry to slide Off Topic, back to the regularly scheduled program...
 #168217  by lbpesq

Alligator had a natural finish Swamp Ash body and Maple fretboard. It‘s very likely that if you strip the body on the Squire, it will be composed of several pieces and not very attractive. You might want to consider this if you are going for something that will look like Alligator. I started an Alligator replica at the beginning of the Pandemic. I wound the pickups and built the blaster circuit myself. I just need to do a little more work on the bridge and wiring and I‘ll be done.

Bill, tgo
LazyLightning72, NeilG1 liked this
 #168219  by LazyLightning72

That has been a concern for me Bill. I knew it wasn’t the same wood, but you never know what’s hiding under that finish, appearance wise. I have a friend in S.C. who has an old maple neck off a Fender Strat, not sure of the year. He was and still is going to donate to the cause, if i push forward.

I still need to do a LOT of research before I feel comfortable starting a project like this anyway. Who knows maybe in that time I’ll stumble across a body that will fit the bill so to speak, and just build it from the ground up kinda.

Time will tell.
 #168220  by TI4-1009

Fender usually finished the good looking wood natural and hid the ugly stuff under paint.
 #168221  by lbpesq

I got my body from Warmoth. They have a period correct vintage shape with the tummy and elbow cuts a little more drastic. They also have an option for a tremolo route that doesn’t go all the way through to the front, leaving 1/4 - 1/3” of wood to the top. On the top, it looks like a hardtail. This is perfect for an Alligator where the cavity was filled with epoxy. I used the tremolo cavity in back to house the battery and the blaster for easier access than on the original. The body was about $275 as I recall. I saved a lot getting it unfinished and doing my own rattle can nitro finish.

Bill, tgo
 #168222  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 pm I got my body from Warmoth. They have a period correct vintage shape with the tummy and elbow cuts a little more drastic. They also have an option for a tremolo route that doesn’t go all the way through to the front, leaving 1/4 - 1/3” of wood to the top. On the top, it looks like a hardtail. This is perfect for an Alligator where the cavity was filled with epoxy. I used the tremolo cavity in back to house the battery and the blaster for easier access than on the original. The body was about $275 as I recall. I saved a lot getting it unfinished and doing my own rattle can nitro finish.

Bill, tgo
Jerry's actual Alligator body was a Warmoth, iirc. That's not a bad price, seeing as how I'll be getting the neck for free.
Thanks for the info my friend!
 #168225  by Jon S.

LOL!
 #168228  by TI4-1009

LazyLightning72 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 pm
Jerry's actual Alligator body was a Warmoth, iirc. That's not a bad price, seeing as how I'll be getting the neck for free.
I never trusted that sneaky Graham Nash..... :lol: