#168073  by NeilG1

On that note (sort of) I've been dying to try out an FYD Big Verb. Essentially a TRP (blackface Fender circuit) with 5W power section and a 10" speaker. Seems like it could be an incredible combo amp for home use.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #168077  by LazyLightning72

I have a lot to think about this weekend, on this topic.

Well I have it narrowed down to these 3:
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb 1x12" 15-watt Tube Combo Amp - Lacquered Tweed
Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 22-watt Tube Combo Amp
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 22-watt Tube Combo Amp - Black

Have a great weekend folks!
 #168102  by LazyLightning72

Ok, I have it down to two now. I decided to take the Fender '65 Princeton Reverb 1x12" 15-watt Tube Combo Amp - Lacquered Tweed out of the running. It does look like a nice amp, but the other two Deluxe models that are left really have my attention.

That brings it down to either:
1. Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb All-tube Combo Amplifier
&
2. Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Tube Combo Amplifier

I realize there was some concern that the Deluxe models, were more amp than I need. Though that may be the case presently, I do think that they would be good amps for my needs and more, if I ever need more.

This is by no means a “woah is me comment”, just trying to explain a fact.

Sorry if I come across wishy-washy, when I broke my neck in 2015, it was from an impact on the top of my skull. Unfortunately I came away from it with a sever TBI. It manifests in very odd ways at times, one being my overthinking decisions to the point of madness sometimes.

Back to the amps, I’m leaning towards the ‘65 over the ‘68. At least I am right now, lol!
 #168104  by Gr8fulCadi

You want some headroom especially with a Jerry inspired rig so I personally don’t feel a Deluxe Reverb is too much amp for at home at all. You are almost there!!

But, this is coming from a guy who only has 6L6 amps for home use only. Twin Reverb modded by Waldo, Shakedown 50 watt head, 72’ Bassman, MojoTone Super Reverb kit I built and a 5e3p Proluxe tweed. They ALL sound great at low volume or cranked. :cool:
 #168105  by LazyLightning72

Spent the last few hours playing and thinking, and I made the decision.

Tomorrow morning I will be getting the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb. I believe it is everything I’m looking for, and then some.

Thanks everyone!
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #168116  by LazyLightning72

Alright,
Just ordered the '65 Deluxe Reverb, should be here Friday!

Goes without saying, but I will anyhow, I’m extremely excited!

I’ll update when I get it and first impressions, with pics.

Thanks again to each and every one of you! I finally (after over three decades) have the rig I’ve always wanted.

Friday is gonna take forever to get here, lol!
Chris (~)}:}
Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #168170  by TI4-1009

While you wait, I just re-read the title of the thread. Here you go.... :lol:

LazyLightning72, Jon S. liked this
 #168190  by LazyLightning72

So I had several hours last night after my better half went to bed, to play around with the '65 Deluxe Reverb.

Initial impression, love it, no question. It sounds so much better then my old Mustang II. As I mentioned in my pedal thread, it takes pedals nicely. I was at the point of returning my Distortion pedal for a different one, but I’m glad I waited. Even the QTron+, and Carbon Copy Mini sounded so much better.

Now she was sleeping so I had to keep the volume in check, so I had to stay around 3. Though tonight we are going to do a test to see what my volume cap when she’s sleeping really is, cause we both believe I can go higher without a problem.

The reverb and vibrato worked fine, as I made sure everything was working correctly. I’ll be putting it through it’s paces over the next couple weeks, but so far I like it a lot.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway at all that headphones can be connected to it, if I feel like really cranking it late at night? Not a big deal if not, but be nice to know if it’s possible.

Hope you all had great weekends!
 #168192  by tdcrjeff

LazyLightning72 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:59 pmJust out of curiosity, is there anyway at all that headphones can be connected to it, if I feel like really cranking it late at night? Not a big deal if not, but be nice to know if it’s possible.
Not without extra gear. The amp needs a load comparable to a speaker (+/- 8 ohms) so you'd need something that provides that while also creating the appropriate output (power level/impedance) for headphones. Boxes like:
https://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--si ... clone.html
http://www.rivera.com/product/attenuato ... recording/
https://reverb.com/item/20096694-plug-p ... -recording
 #168194  by LazyLightning72

I went and did some research after posting this and saw a couple of those boxes used to achieve that result.

Honestly I’m not even sure it’s going to be an issue. We did a little test after dinner. She went in and laid on the bed and told me when she started to hear it, which was dead on between 3&4. We listen to Sirius Dead XM when we sleep, she’s used to noise. There is a good possibility I can push up to between 4&5, cause she typically sleeps through anything.

Tonight I plan to start off at the cap we got to, and once asleep I’m gonna move it up in small increments, and see if it bothered her. Neither of us think it will within reason.

She had to pry me away from the amp after the test, it’s so nice to play through.