#168012  by LazyLightning72

Hello folks,
So we have finally come to it, the last major piece for my new rig.

As I have mentioned in the other gear threads recently, I do not gig, or even have anyone to play with( except my oldest friend/tour brother, who I have talked into learning to play, so we can jam when he comes down to visit every 6 months or so )
I really just play for myself, and the wife if she’s nearby. When I’m playing (outside of practicing) it’s either just me playing around or learning something, other times I “Try to keep up” and play along with the boys. Sometimes it’s a CD, Video, something from the archive, or a backing track I find and like, that sort of thing.

Back in 2013, I got a SS Fender Mustang II modeling amp, 40w, and 1x 12”. It was and still is a decent amp for the price, if that’s what your looking for in terms of amps. It has plenty of power for the “music room” I have been putting together, aprox 12’ x 20’(I can give a exact measurement after I’m finished with my cigar and go back in the house if needed)

I’m a firm believer in “If it’s worth playing, it’s worth playing loud” so I do like to crank it up at times.

Anyhow, before this turns into a book,
I am ready to move on, especially after getting the Eastwood Wolf Tribute, and putting together my first pedalboard.

I’d really love to keep it as close to the $1k mark if possible.
There are several amps I have been looking at:

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb 1x10" 12-watt Tube Combo Amp
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb 1x12" 15-watt Tube Combo Amp - Lacquered Tweed
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb 1x10" 15-watt Tube Combo Amp
Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 22-watt Tube Combo Amp
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 22-watt Tube Combo Amp - Black

I think it goes without saying, I’m dead set on a Fender, lol!

Would love to hear any thought or opinions on the ones listed above. I’m just trying to get in the ballpark with Jerry, then tweak from there with pedals and solid Playing technique.

Thanks
Chris
 #168013  by Jturbide

Hi Chris.

Any of these amps would be great. Never played a princeton but have limited experience with the deluxe reverb and they sound great so you can't really go wrong with any of these imho.

I'd personally look for a Mesa Boogie, they are really amazing and versatile amps and are built like tanks. Jerry and Bob used them for a while during the mid 70s. I thought they were metal amps at first but trust me they are way more than that. Randall Smith (the owner) never intended to built metal amps, he's a big fan of fenders and started by hot rodding them. Boogies have an amazing clean tone. The master volume will also be handy as a deluxe is way too lood for playing at home with a great tone. I have a MKIII and an express 5:50 and couldn't be more happy.
Last edited by Jturbide on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #168017  by LazyLightning72

Thanks guys, it’s always so much easier when nearly all the ones you list everyone seems to like. Or at the very least you have 1 winner!

I read that Jerry used a Mesa Boogie Mark IIa for a while, I’ll see if there are any near my price range before making a final decision.

I’m very excited about going back to a tube amp.
Jturbide, Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #168020  by Jon S.

LazyLightning72 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:42 pmI do not gig, or even have anyone to play with( except my oldest friend/tour brother, who I have talked into learning to play, so we can jam when he comes down to visit every 6 months or so )
I really just play for myself, and the wife if she’s nearby. When I’m playing (outside of practicing) it’s either just me playing around or learning something, other times I “Try to keep up” and play along with the boys. Sometimes it’s a CD, Video, something from the archive, or a backing track I find and like, that sort of thing.
Frankly, under these circumstances, you might be better off with an inexpensive bluetooth-enabled solid state amp like the Fender Mustang GT 40 ($270). https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustang-B ... B06Y27KJC5
 #168021  by Gr8fulCadi

Jon S. wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 pm
LazyLightning72 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:42 pmI do not gig, or even have anyone to play with( except my oldest friend/tour brother, who I have talked into learning to play, so we can jam when he comes down to visit every 6 months or so )
Frankly, under these circumstances, you might be better off with an inexpensive bluetooth-enabled solid state amp like the Fender Mustang 40 ($270). https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustang-B ... B06Y27KJC5
Respectfully disagree. With all the time, effort and money he spent on his guitar and pedalboard, he shouldn’t over-skimp the last step IMO.

Get yourself a decent tube amp. Doesn’t have to be big iron either. Heck, maybe even the ToneMaster amps, they get a lot of praise and go down to 1 watt or something to that nature. I played the Twin Tone Master and I enjoyed the heck out of it. That’s just my opinion of course.
 #168022  by Jon S.

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 pm
Frankly, under these circumstances, you might be better off with an inexpensive bluetooth-enabled solid state amp like the Fender Mustang 40 ($270). https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustang-B ... B06Y27KJC5
Respectfully disagree. With all the time, effort and money spent on your guitar and pedalboard, don’t over-skimp the last step and go get yourself a decent tube amp. Doesn’t have to be big iron either. Heck, maybe even the ToneMaster amps, they get a lot of praise and go down to 1 watt or something to that nature. I played the Twin Tone Master and I enjoyed the heck out of it. That’s just my opinion of course.
Respectful disagreement is always cool. :D

Hey, I agree with you completely from strictly a tone perspective. But this guy's told us he's sitting around at home with his rig and that when he does play with others, it's with CDs, videos, or backing tracks.

From my perspective, under this scenario, perhaps put practicality and functionality over pure tone. Also, FWIW, today's Fender SS amps aren't the monstrosities we grew up with. The basic clean Fender tones on the ones I've played have been quite usable.
 #168023  by Gr8fulCadi

Jon S. wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:42 pm
Respectfully disagree. With all the time, effort and money spent on your guitar and pedalboard, don’t over-skimp the last step and go get yourself a decent tube amp. Doesn’t have to be big iron either. Heck, maybe even the ToneMaster amps, they get a lot of praise and go down to 1 watt or something to that nature. I played the Twin Tone Master and I enjoyed the heck out of it. That’s just my opinion of course.

Hey, I agree with you completely from strictly a tone perspective. But this guy's told us he's sitting around at home with his rig and that when he does play with others, it's with CDs, videos, or backing tracks.

From my perspective, under this scenario, perhaps put practicality and functionality over pure tone. Also, FWIW, today's Fender SS amps aren't the monstrosities we grew up with. The basic clean Fender tones on the ones I've played have been quite usable.
“Anyhow, before this turns into a book,
I am ready to move on, especially after getting the Eastwood Wolf Tribute, and putting together my first pedalboard.”

Sure anything to amplify the signal will work. I think most on this thread have provided a good mid level-mid price point amp and I agree. If he had a basic Squier I would think the Mustang would be a great suggestion. A good Jerry Replica guitar, super II’s, buffer and OBEL, he owes it to himself to hear it through a good Fender REAL tube spring reverb at least.
Last edited by Gr8fulCadi on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #168024  by Jon S.

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 pm

Sure anything to amplify the signal will work. I think most on this thread have provided a good mid level-mid price point amp and I agree. If he had a basic Squier I would think the Mustang would be a great suggestion. A good Jerry Replica guitar, super II’s, buffer and OBEL, he owes it to himself to hear it through a good Fender REAL tube spring reverb at least.
The solution is simple - get both! :o
 #168025  by Gr8fulCadi

Jon S. wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:53 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 pm

The solution is simple - get both! :o
I guess but why? He said he already had a Mustang and is ready to move on. Also he stated he’s very excited about getting a tube amp. Confused :shock:
 #168027  by Jon S.

>> I guess but why? He said he already had a Mustang and is ready to move on. Also he stated he’s very excited about getting a tube amp. Confused :shock:

If we knew each other beyond just a few quadrillion electrons here and there, I'm confident you'd have recognized my lighthearted joshing and laughed, too. :wink:
 #168029  by LazyLightning72

I finally have a chance to get the rig I want, without settling ( within reason, of course )
I can appreciate what your saying Jon, but I want a tube amp. When I started this process with getting the new guitar, I knew then I was going to upgrade/replace everything.

I’ve always wanted a tube amp, to me they just sound so much better. Now with my pedalboard coming together, and the new guitar, the amp is the last major piece of the puzzle. The last thing I want to do is plug it all back into an amp I’m not happy with. I’m sure you can understand where I’m coming from.

Ok, so one vote for the The ‘65 Princeton 1X12”.
Anymore in agreement, or another suggestion of those I listed?

I looked into Mesa Boogie, they are out of my price range from what I can tell.

Again, thank you all for the continued help. From guitar to pedals, etc.. and now the amp. All of you have given me invaluable feedback, and I truly appreciate it!
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #168030  by Jon S.

I understand completely. You're entitled both to the rig you want and to the rig that meets your needs and makes you happy. BUT you did ask for our input.

Though, in your opening post, you stated expressly (your words), "I'm dead set on a Fender, lol," someone else in this thread recommended a MESA Boogie. To your credit, despite opening with being dead set on a Fender, you replied, "I read that Jerry used a Mesa Boogie Mark IIa for a while, I’ll see if there are any near my price range before making a final decision." That's a good approach, my friend, keeping an open mind to suggestions outside of your initial box. (And BTW, FWIW, the MESA that will sound most Fenderish is, my view, the Fillmore series - https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/e ... index.html.)

I realize I, too, suggested an amp outside of your box. The other guy suggested a tube amp that's not a Fender = 1/2 of what you said you were set on. I suggested a digital amp that is a Fender = also 1/2. I did so in a heartfelt effort to be responsive to all of the info. you posted in your OP about both your interests in amps and on yourself - where you're at musically; with whom and how you play your guitar, etc..

My take from your posts here is that you have yet to personally actually test drive most if not all of both your own and the others' suggestions. If I may make one further suggestion: play before you buy, you might surprise yourself as to what you truly prefer.

Best of luck with whatever you get. Enjoy the heck out of it and don't look back (well, for at least several months!).
 #168031  by Jturbide

LazyLightning72 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 am I looked into Mesa Boogie, they are out of my price range from what I can tell.
Paid $800 CAD for my MKIII, same for my express 5:50. Sure a new boogie is too expensive but you can get a used one for less than 1K, the express is more comon and it is really really good. I recommend you try it if you find one. I wouldn't replace mine for a deluxe reverb, especially for home playing.

As someone just mentioned thanks for the open-mindedness, some folks might have shit on me for proposing something else than a fender.

If you don't want a Mesa and really are set on either 4 you mentioned, I'd probably get a princeton cause a deluxe is too loud.
Jon S., LazyLightning72 liked this
 #168032  by lbpesq

The Rivera Era Princeton Reverb II (early to mid '80s) is really nice amp. It has a master volume and lead channel similar to a Mesa. Small, relatively light, 22 watts - small enough for bedroom playing, but enough power to keep up with a band. Some consider the Rivera era amps Fender's answer to Mesa Boogie.

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.