#167906  by LazyLightning72

strumminsix wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:12 am Lemon oil + humidifier packs = happy guitars.

I wouldn't do anything else.
Funny you mention humidity packs.

I have two 5-600ct and a smaller 100ct humidors for my cigars. I have been using the Boveda 2 way packs for years in them, with excellent results. I’m pretty sure Boveda makes ones designed for guitars as well.

I plan to get a hard case for the Eastwood Wolf, already have one for my Fender acoustic, and have thought the 60s CV could benefit from one as well.

The problem is I like to keep my guitars out to see when not being played. Not to show off or anything, they just really bring the music room I’ve been working on come together.

In order for the packs to work they need to be in a somewhat sealed case. Do you find a balance in keeping them humidified and displaying them? Or are yours always in the cases?
 #167908  by lbpesq

IMHO the whole humidifier thing is far more critical for acoustic guitars than solid body electrics. Unless you live in an incredibly humid area like Florida or in the Central American rain forest, or in an incredibly dry area like Death Valley, other than seasonal truss rod adjustments, humidity will not have all that much effect on your Strat, Tele, or other solid body instrument. Keep ‘em out in the living room, keep ‘em locked up in the case, it’s all good.

Bill, tgo
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #167909  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:42 pm IMHO the whole humidifier thing is far more critical for acoustic guitars than solid body electrics. Unless you live in an incredibly humid area like Florida or in the Central American rain forest, or in an incredibly dry area like Death Valley, other than seasonal truss rod adjustments, humidity will not have all that much effect on your Strat, Tele, or other solid body instrument. Keep ‘em out in the living room, keep ‘em locked up in the case, it’s all good.

Bill, tgo
Well does central Alabama count as incredibly humid? My Wife is from here, and I was born in Conn., but grew up most of my early life primarily in Myrtle Beach SC. With a short 2 years spent out in New Mexico. After we got married, she moved to SC with me for the first year. Then her dad was diagnosed with colon cancer, so I moved us out here close to her family (just in case) Thankfully after surgery and chemo/radiation he’s now been cancer free for 2 decades.

Edit: WOW, that was a way round about way to ask that question, lol!
 #167912  by strumminsix

LazyLightning72 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:46 pm
strumminsix wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:12 am Lemon oil + humidifier packs = happy guitars.

I wouldn't do anything else.
Funny you mention humidity packs.

I have two 5-600ct and a smaller 100ct humidors for my cigars. I have been using the Boveda 2 way packs for years in them, with excellent results. I’m pretty sure Boveda makes ones designed for guitars as well.

I plan to get a hard case for the Eastwood Wolf, already have one for my Fender acoustic, and have thought the 60s CV could benefit from one as well.

The problem is I like to keep my guitars out to see when not being played. Not to show off or anything, they just really bring the music room I’ve been working on come together.

In order for the packs to work they need to be in a somewhat sealed case. Do you find a balance in keeping them humidified and displaying them? Or are yours always in the cases?
Humidity is critical too high or low.

I do my best to keep my home between 40 to 60% with gauges on both floors. That covers most needs.

I keep a few guitars out at all times.

But my most loved and favorite stays cased between playing.

Regarding electric vs acoustic. Of course the noticed impact is higher for acoustic and so much open areas. But an electric can have a host of problems .
 #167915  by LazyLightning72

The wife is going to grab me some Food Grade Lemon Oil this weekend, and my Sweetwater order will be here tomorrow. Along with some odds and ends I went ahead and got a 2oz bottle of the F-ONE Fretboard Oil. Plus some new microfiber cloths, my old ones were all ripped and just time for some new ones. Lol!

Going to try the F-ONE on my acoustic, since it’s the one that’s really in bad shape. I don’t normally let stuff go like this, but when I broke my neck back in 2015, everything got pushed under the rug so to speak. Unfortunately it happened, but I’ll do everything I can to never let it happen again.
 #167916  by Jon S.

Just be sure to go lightly. Overdoing it brings its own risks. A little dab'll do.
 #167917  by LazyLightning72

Jon S. wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:57 pm Just be sure to go lightly. Overdoing it brings its own risks. A little dab'll do.
Will do Jon, thanks!
 #167919  by PurpleTrails

Yeah, you don't need to use much of the F-One. A bottle is likely a lifetime supply if you only need to treat a couple guitars periodically.
 #167945  by mkaufman

Regarding lemon oil, there are several resources that say never to use it.

Roger Sadowsky posted this two days ago. Maybe he feels different about 100% lemon oil.

https://www.sadowsky.com/fingerboard-cl ... t-to-know/

ace
Last edited by mkaufman on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #167946  by lbpesq

In this article he is referring to “mineral oil with lemon color and fragrance added, along with chemical drying agents.”. This is VERY different from 100% food quality lemon oil. If it’s good enough for the folks at Alembic who invented the boutique guitar and bass industry, it’s good enough for me. Please don’t use linseed oil . There are people, like me, who are highly allergic. I’ve actually gone into anaphylactic shock from working on a guitar that had been treated with linseed oil.

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #167947  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:39 amPlease don’t use linseed oil . There are people, like me, who are highly allergic. I’ve actually gone into anaphylactic shock from working on a guitar that had been treated with linseed oil.
Earlier in the summer, I had the PRS Tech Center (PTC) refret my '86 Custom (beautiful guitar and I'm it's original owner). They did a great job with the refret itself but used linseed oil on the Brazilian rosewood 'board. P.U.! When I pulled the guitar out of its case it stank to high heaven! Fortunately, a careful wipe down with naphtha followed by treatment with Fret Doctor got most of the linseed oil out (you can never get all of it, it sinks in too deep, unfortunately) and my Custom is smelling sweet again. :D

#167948  by LazyLightning72

I’ve been trying to set aside some time to try the F One on my acoustic, sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in a day.
 #167987  by LazyLightning72

I’m hopeful stuff will stop getting in the way, and I’ll be able to try the F-One on my acoustic. It’s far and wide the worst one, I’ll post before and after pics as soon as I get to do it, lol
 #167988  by LazyLightning72

Decided to give the F-One oil a try on my 60s CV today during a string change. I regret I didn’t do a before after set of pics, it wasn’t in bad shape, not like the acoustic is.

The difference was very noticeable though. A tiny drop on a cloth was plenty to do the whole thing.

I hope to do the acoustic this weekend, I’ll make sure to do some before/after pics and post when I do.