#167389  by paulinnc

Hey everyone,
So a few years back I finally got my wolf project finished by a pro builder and it turned out really nice. The only thing is the pickups are way too loud. I have two DiMarzio super 2s and an SDS 1 in the bridge also in there is a stratoblaster that I got from GGG for the loop. Everything else is straight out of the waldo diagram. What I'm trying to figure out is why it is so damned loud. I can't turn the guitar volume past 1/3 without things really getting too loud for the house. Is this just common with these pick ups? Just hot and loud? Does the gain of the blaster have an effect even when the loop is not plugged in? It is to the point where I don't really play the guitar that much because it is just too loud. I'm not cranking the amp at all, just normal respectable levels as to not disturb my gf or the neighbors. Any ideas on how to change this without rewiring the whole thing would be appreciated. Thank you.
 #167390  by lbpesq

Have you tried adjusting the gain on the Blaster? It is very possible that it is independent of the OBEL and thus always on. I like to use the Blaster at minimal setting, just a touch above unity gain. If you adjust it the other way, it can get quite loud!

Bill, tgo
PaulJay liked this
 #167393  by Hitime

I would guess you are alright.I would adjust the master until it's not to hot,but a jerry rig should be pretty hot and sensitive.you may want to focus on picking dynamics.a proper jerry rig ,good tube pre amp Macintosh or equal power amp,jb l speakers and blaster or buffer is pretty sensitive and in the wrong hands could be a weapon of mass destruction it's ok to crank your amp and have your guitar volume under 5 .check out jerry videos with his picking hand in veiw he could change volume dramatically with a harder or softer picking.I have even heard he could blow speakers by digging in hard with his pick . Don't forget the 2 mms graphite pick!
 #167396  by Hitime

That's a good idea about the potentiometer taper but log and audio are ok for volume stay away from linear pots for volume ,but ok for tone.I think audio pots are all log taper?
 #167397  by Jon S.

paulinnc wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:25 amthe pickups are way too loud.

I can't turn the guitar volume past 1/3 without things really getting too loud for the house.

I don't really play the guitar that much because it is just too loud.

I'm not cranking the amp at all, just normal respectable levels
I haven't weighed in substantively because I'm at a loss to comprehend your actual issue(s).

That you can't play your electric guitar now because it's too loud doesn't make sense to me. Whatever level your amp is at, adjectives aside ("cranking"; "respectable level"), simply lower its volume further - problem solved.

Most of us have personal experience with your pickups - it makes no sense, either, that your pickups are way too loud.

If your problems are actually, as others have hypothesized, (1) your guitar as presently configured is severely overdriving your amp; and/or (2) your guitar's volume control's taper is off (e.g., it goes from totally off to almost full on with barely a turn of the knob while the rest of the taper has but a minimal impact), you've already gotten several good recommendations.

Re: GGG's blaster preamp design/kit, some years back, I tried two of them. I realize others' experiences differ but I could never get either of them to work right for me. So your options include adjusting (as has already been suggested) or removing the GGG unit. You could replace it with an alternative on-board blaster (e.g., Alembic's) or a blaster-in-a-pedal (e.g., XTS Pegasus Boost - I own two, they're great pedals; a SMS Doozy Boost might also do the trick - I have one ordered and on the way, I'd be happy to share my take on with you once it arrives).
 #167398  by TI4-1009

What Jon said: "Just turn it down!"

And the buffer/blaster (if wired correctly) is independent of the OBEL.
 #167400  by lbpesq

Glad I could help. The Blaster can serve two purposes: as an “always on” enhancer/buffer, or as an on/off boost for leads. In my Alligator replica I’m building I added a push/pull tone pot that turns the Blaster off when pulled out. That gives the option to set the Blaster hot, pull the tone pot out to play passive, and then just push it in for a boost.

Bill, tgo
 #167401  by jalevinemd

I had Alembic install one in my last two builds. I asked for a separate external control knob so that I easily could control the amount of gain on the fly. Works best that way, IMHO.
 #167403  by lbpesq

Hi, Jonathan. I imagine you’ve been VERY busy the last couple of months! Hope all is well and healthy with you and yours. I assume you are using the Blaster as a boost for leads or out-front chording? If it ‘s on your Alembics, you certainly don’t need buffering from the Blaster.

Bill, tgo
 #167404  by jalevinemd

Bill...thanks. Doing well. Staying as safe as possible. Hope you guys are doing the same.

That's exactly how I use the Blaster...to help clean chords cut through the mix better and as a solo boost.
 #167406  by lbpesq

We’re doing well, thanks. Watching LOTS of movies, bingeing Netflix and Prime Video, working on a few builds, including my almost completed Alligator replica. Making my own Blasters. I’ve played in a couple of Zoom Open Mics. I suspect when this is all over, there will be an increase in babies and divorces! (We won’t be in either category - lol).

And yes, for your purposes it makes sense to wire in a full size pot in place of the usual trim-pot, as your Alembics are already running at low impedance. I’m winding my own pickups, so wiring in a Blaster at about unity gain converts to low impedance and just sounds good. Ron W. sure knew what he was doing when he designed it!

Stay safe,

Bill, tgo
 #167407  by Jon S.

On my Scarlet Fire Wolf 2.1, there's a minitoggle to turn the blaster on and off (the closer of the two to the PUPs) and an external control to set the boost level (the one with the "black hat").

paulinnc liked this