#165008  by waldo041
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am
lbpesq wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:48 am
I think the 22 vs. 24 fret neck also throws the perspective off a bit.

Bill, tgo
Both are 25 1/2" scale length and there is an additional 2 frets making it a 23 fret board but you could add the 24th at the end of the board on the Strat.

~waldo
 #165011  by waldo041
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:58 am
mkaufman wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 am
Looks like the Strat has 22 frets, with room for more.

Is the distance from nut to bridge the same on both guitars?

ace
The distance to the 12th fret are identical.

yes, Strat is 22frets, the board is extended and yes there is room for the additional frets.

~waldo
strumminsix liked this
 #165013  by mkaufman
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:35 pm
"The distance to the 12th fret are identical". Yes, because they have the same scale length.

I assume the pickups are the same distance from the nut (or bridge) on both guitars?

ace
Last edited by mkaufman on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #165014  by lbpesq
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:42 pm
mkaufman wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:35 pm

The distance to the 12th fret from where, and why does this matter?

You measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, then double it, to get the scale length of a guitar.

Bill, tgo
 #165016  by waldo041
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:40 pm
mkaufman wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:42 pm
Thanks, but that's not what I'm asking. I've edit my question to be clearer:

I assume the pickups are the same distance from the nut (or bridge) on both guitars?

ace
Not identical but close enough because they are both 25 1/2inch scaled guitars. That said, the bridge should actually be mounted more bridge side then centered on 25 1/2 to achieve JG string action. They can only be measured from nut to 12th fret to get the actual string scale length. The bridge will have 6 different actual bridge lengths after it has been intonated for the player. And as i stated before bridge placement is not exact, but 12th fret is.

I have tried to edit and add the 2 extra frets with paint on my Strat to give you better representation of where they should be positioned on a Strat in comparison to a Wolf type guitar.

So yes, they are relatively the same distance from nut to pickups. I also want to point out the significantly less access to the higher frets that a Strat has because the body is so forward or neck side heavy, where the Wolf or Tiger have the body wings pushed back more towards the bridge side.

~waldo
 #165018  by gmchart
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 pm
What I am curious about is how does the Michas wolf hang? The front strap button is way down the neck in relation to the Strat, but there is alot more body behind the bridge on the Michas than the Strat. Is the Wolf neck heavy, or does it balance?
 #165019  by waldo041
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:29 pm
gmchart wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 pm
What I am curious about is how does the Michas wolf hang? The front strap button is way down the neck in relation to the Strat, but there is alot more body behind the bridge on the Michas than the Strat. Is the Wolf neck heavy, or does it balance?
No balance issues.

~waldo
 #165022  by ac4468
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:19 pm
This was my biggest issue with Wolf and the main reason why my guitars stray from the general Wolf dimensions.. It's a long guitar. Because of the body being shifted away from the nut to give access to the higher frets, the guitar ends up an inch+ longer than a strat. And on top of that, the area behind the tail is so deep the entire guitar hangs further to the left. This is great for access to the upper frets but I always found open chords on the first few frets uncomfortable for me.
 #165024  by Jon S.
 Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:05 am
ac4468 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:19 pm
Wolf ... It's a long guitar. ... Because of the body being shifted away from the nut to give access to the higher frets, the guitar ends up an inch+ longer than a strat. And on top of that, the area behind the tail is so deep the entire guitar hangs further to the left.
By "hangs further to the left," do you mean "exhibits neck dive?"

If yes, FWIW, when I first received my Scarlet Fire Wolf, it had some slight neck dive (perhaps because it weighs under 9 lbs (8 lbs. 14 oz.) - a really sweet weight - which may perhaps be light for a Wolf.

At my tech's recommendation, I replaced the stock metal tuning buttons with lighter ebony ones. It worked like a charm.

My tech explained the headstock as being functionally equivalent to the end of a fulcrum such that even a very small change in weight has a significant impact. Or as Archimedes put it, "Give me a place to stand and I shall move the earth."