#164976  by adkroot
 Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:55 pm
Though I'm a firm believer in tone being largely influenced by touch and approach, I'd like to have a look at some stock prs guitars that might help to get me in the ballpark of Garcia's early 80's spectrum of sound. I'm not looking to get a tone clone, but find something with some depth and versatility. Thanks, Daniel
 #164977  by lbpesq
 Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:32 pm
If you want something that can do a reasonable Garcia tone, you might want to look at the three pickup models, like the NF3, the DC3, or the 513. The 513 is about as versatile as it gets.

Bill, tgo
 #164981  by adkroot
 Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am
Anything in the current line of models? Again, I'm not that naive to belive that anything off the shelf will duplicate, and that's not what I'm after, but I'm looking to get towards the color of tone. Modifications may come later
 #164982  by waldo041
 Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:44 am
Ebony Fingerboard, Neck through or set, Maple neck. Stay away from dark tone wood for the body. Alder is fine, maple is good and so are many others, oh and solid hardware and wiring. Keep the Action high like his and you have a great starting point. PRS are 25" scale, but the 25 1/2" scale neck is something I prefer, ymmv. Super 2's or Dual Sounds will get you rolling, but dialing in specific eras dictate different pickups and wirings. That all said, ANY guitar should work if you have that 99.5% that was all him. Going for certain eras specifically do not conform to an off the shelf, with the exception of the early years when he was playing off the shelves!

~waldo
TI4-1009 liked this
 #164987  by Pointclear
 Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:58 pm
All good info above. Though it’s not early 80’s in its aura, the john Mayer prs Strat has a sweet tone and playing action, not to mention a huge chunk of a neck. If I were looking to any prs model for a Jerry platform I’d go there first.
Last edited by Pointclear on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #164990  by playingdead
 Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 pm
The 513 is not offered anymore but the 509 might be a good choice. The Silver Eagle is basically PRS and Mayer's take on a Strat. Bit of a different beast than a heavier Garcia guitar.

The Custom 24 is really versatile, I've gotten some good Jerry-ish tones using one. One time after a big snowstorm where parking was a nightmare for the gig, I played a Custom 24 into a stock Vibrolux reissue with no pedals at all ... http://leftyguitarsonly.com/vic/tleoexcerpt.mp3 ... not really an authentic tone at all, but very usable.

I happen to be a PRS dealer and like to give "kind" pricing to my fellow Deadheads. I can also usually find a particular color and see what sort of tops are available at the factory as they come off the line. This is a 509 in "orange tiger" that popped up recently.

tcsned liked this
 #164998  by playingdead
 Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 am
The "13" and the "09" refer to sound combinations -- the 513 had four additional possibilities. The "5" refers to pickups ... these guitars are actually 5 single coil pickups that can be "grouped" into two humbuckers and one single coil pickup. The 513 has an additional 3-way switch to give two additional tonal options to the two pairs of single coils, the 509 does not, hence you "lose" four sounds -- on the 513 you had an option for "hot humbucking" (both paired single coils at full output) "clear humbucking" (both paired single coils at 65 percent output) and true single coil on the two paired singles at the bridge and neck. The 509 just allows you to go single coil or both on for a "humbucker" using one toggle switch for each pickup.
tcsned liked this
 #165001  by Jon S.
 Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:26 pm
I would add about the PRS 513 (and some similar so-called "Swiss Army Knife"-type guitars) that they're designed not so much for any single user to be constantly flipping about for all possible tones than to allow each user to choose among many tones to settle on one or several tones you'll actually use frequently.

I mention this because you'll sometimes hear people respond to such guitars, "What a waste! 13 combinations and at best 3 are ones I really like." In fact, that's the point. (It's like buying a car with a driver's seat with 10 adjustment points. No one would say about such a seat, "What a waste - I found one combinations of settings I love and I haven't touched anything since.")
tcsned liked this
 #165005  by tcsned
 Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:37 am
playingdead wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 am
The "13" and the "09" refer to sound combinations -- the 513 had four additional possibilities.
That's cool, you learn something new every day!